Stunticons vs Stunticons

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Optimusmegs, Jan 25, 2023.

1. Optimusmegs

Optimusmegs Well-Known Member

Here is my little comparison review between the legacy stunticons vs the combiner wars stunticons
    Their has been debate to which is best. So here is my review and the case to keep both, only if the cw menasor has the perfect effect upgrades.

First up dragstrip
    Alt mode: the cw vehicle mode is a beautiful f1 race car. The legacy is g1 accurate but if dragstrip ever opted for a 4 wheel f1 race car the cw would win hands down.
    Winner:This is a toss up for me altmode wise

Robot mode: for robot mode the legacy version is pretty much spot on g1 dragstrip. It's also better articulated.
    Winner : legacy dragstrip

Headscuplt: cw dragstrip has an amazing headscuplt, so unique love the red tears coming down the visor. This is a perfect headscuplt for a cybertronian dragstrip racing in velocitron.
    The legacy dragstrip head is basically a perfect g1 head of him.
    Winner: legacy dragstrip only for g1 accuracy.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 9
  2. Optimusmegs

Up next wildrider

Alt mode : cw's dragstrip is a repaint of cw dead end. It's a beautiful sports car, but doesn't really give it the wildrider feel. The legacy wildriders altmode is just perfect and takes it hands down
    Winner : legacy wildrider

Robot mode: now this is where I'm a little conflicted. Cw's robot mode is thicker than the legacy, also taller, giving wildrider a brutish look, which for me, kinda fits the character as a bully brute. The legacy of course is g1 accurate and colored better.
    Winner: Cw wildrider I don't know he just seems better in robot mode for me.

Headscuplt: the cw wildriders head is a great sculpt and suits him extremely well. The legacy headscuplt is pretty much perfect and gives him more of a menacing look.
    Winner legacy wildrider

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
  3. Optimusmegs

Up next breakdown

Altmode: this isn't even close the cw breakdown is the clear winner here, looking like, a lambo as he is suppose to be. The legacy breakdown in altmode is sheer blasphemy and Hasbro should be ashamed of themselves. They could have easily used the same mold, just retooled the front of car.
    Winner and by a mile. Cw breakdown

Robot mode: well as much as the cw breakdown destroyed the legacy in alt mode. The same can't be said for robot mode. The cw's horrible legs are a tragedy. The legacy one, looks perfect as breakdown.
    Winner: legacy breakdown

Headscuplt: cw's head is breakdown plain and simple. Edges out the legacy by a hairline. The legacy's head is spot on as well.
    Winner: gonna go with cw breakdown on this one

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 9
  4. Optimusmegs

Up next : dead end

Alt mode. Cw's dead end mode was one of my favourite car modes, Hasbro has ever done. It really rocked as a flashy sports car. That being said, going g1 the legacy is perfect. It's a Porsche just as dead end is suppose to be.
    Winner : legacy dead end.

Robot mode : cw's dead end gets the bulky brute body, that kinda doesn't suit the character. The legacy version is also thick, but is g1 accurate even though the lower half of the figure is horrible.
    Winner: legacy dead end

Headscuplt: cw's dead end has a great headscuplt. Is it g1 no, but it works well as a cybertronian dead end, before he comes to earth. The legacy one is g1 and perfect, great sculpt and colors
    Winner legacy dead end

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
  5. Optimusmegs

Up next motormaster

Alt mode : well this one easily goes down to the legacy version of motormaster. The cab is beautiful and comes with the trailer. The cw looks good, but it isn't motormaster. Cw's makes for a great cybertronian motormaster in alt mode
    Winner: legacy motormaster

Robotmode: now this isn't even close legacy motormaster is prob one of the best figures we have gotten in last few years and that's saying something. He truly looks like he jumped out of the screen. Cw's, while bigger cannot hold a candle to legacy

Headscuplt: cw's is an abomination of a headscuplt. Reminds me of the staypuft marshmallow man. You can pretend that this is a late teenaged version of motormaster on Cybertron. Like the big homeschool bully. The legacy is sheer perfection

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
  6. Optimusmegs

Now comes menasor

The cw version with perfect effect upgrade kits, stands taller than the legacy. Some will say the cw is also more toy accurate. The legacy version just screams g1 and out of the tv screen.

The articulation of the legacy is simply amazing, the waist swivel is one of the best things to have. The cw one if basically a big paper weight, given how the kits limit his leg poseability. The cw beats the legacy in hand articulation and also foot articulation. But the waist, and amazing movement, in the arms and legs. Give this to legacy menasor.
    Headsculpts, both have really strong headscuplts. Kinda love both of them.

In the end the legacy stunticons win. The menasor in combined mode is amazing. The poseability, the weight of the figure. He is a brickhouse , was honestly pleased with how this turned out. He scales perfectly with the cw combiners. Easily a must have for collectors. If Hasbro does other combiners like this, I may double dip. It's only weakness is breakdowns alt mode. The lack of proper sword and blaster. Although I don't mind the gun given to menasor in legacy. U can use the perfect effect upgrade sword nicely on the legacy version of menasor, even plug it on his back.

But make no mistake the combiner wars menasor with upgrades is a great figure and does deserve to stay in ur collection. To me the cw menasor is the cybertronian version of him and the stunticons

What do you guys think of the 2 sets of the stunticons?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 12
  7. _Flashback_

_Flashback_ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Great comparison. Thanks for this. Any chance of a shot of the stock CW set next to Legacy (without the upgrades)?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Spicytron

Spicytron Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Eh, I still think they fill very specific roles. CW menasor is more of a toy-IDW style maniacal psychpath. Legacy Menasor is the toon accurate schoolyard bully type.

They both are good, and while i still want to complete my Menasor (waiting on Breakdown), i dont want to get rid of my CW one.

Sidenote, should jave specified that i also have the PE addons for him, so there is also that, haha

• Like Like x 8
  9. Jalen Gatton07

Jalen Gatton07 Adapt or Die Tonight

News Credits:
    YouTube (Handle):
    I absolutely love the legacy one

• Like Like x 1
  10. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Trying to achieve something

News Credits:
    Good comparison.

While the Legacy one is absolutely the better combiner, the CW version of the team absolutely still has its merits, especially with the 4 Carbot's altmodes which (coming from someone who likes his real vehicles) all absolute mog the shit out of the Legacy versions except in the case of Wildrider.

I even think the old Motormaster is a more fun figure in its bot mode, sadly, it completely fumbles combined mode which is what most people want.

As I said, both sets have their merits, ultimately comes down to what the individual collector wants.

• Like Like x 4
  11. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Combiner Wars Stunticons were probably the worst CW iteration of a team, so there’s a very clear case for Legacy being a vast improvement. Even with that the CW Stunticons were good toys, but a terrible combiner. And with third party add ons you could even salvage that.

This is going to be a lot tougher when we get to Superion, Defensor, and Bruticus. The stock versions of them, even with the new IDW members, are pretty darn amazing. And if you got the G1 5th man for each, they’re even better. Toss in even minor third party add ons and they’re really great. Justifying new Legacy versions for them is going to be a lot tougher.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime Eat 'em up, eat 'em up, eat 'em up.

News Credits:
    Nice comparison. The legacy version and every one of the component bots are superior for me. CW ran itself too thin with reused molds, and its Menasor was a stiff-limbed-but-oddly-floppy mess that was more of an eye-sore than a Menasor. I sort of hope they do this with more combiners like Bruticus or Defensor (and maybe only those two since CW did them underwhelming as well). But also I hate waiting so long with an incomplete combiner on my shelf.

At least legacy Menasor doesn't look like he'll shit himself at any moment though.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Same feelings here, plus CW/UW Menasor was a fiddly, wobbly mess, with or without upgrades. I think Legacy hit the ball out of the park with this new Menasor.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime Eat 'em up, eat 'em up, eat 'em up.

News Credits:
    Mine literally could not stand in any way or form without toppling ass over end in any random direction. The Motormaster was just bad. The upgrade it fixed that but at the cost of leg posability since they had to be sideways to accomodate the body piece, which limited the combiner limbs. Just bad execution. I can see why some don't like this Menasor from Legacy? But it's also better in every sense.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Nemesisprime1975

Nemesisprime1975 Well-Known Member

Cw menasor has its place. I bought the upgrade kit for him even if articulation is limited with it. It was a floppy mess without it sadly. Legacy menasor is a much more solid combiner even if part of motormaster is redundant unless you give menasor the extra part.

• Like Like x 1
  16. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom MadameVixen

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    20230127_161357.jpg 20230127_161042.jpg 20230127_160530.jpg 20230127_160501.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  17. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Man, those side by side pics really show what a dumpy POS CW Menasor is.

• Like Like x 6
  18. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    True, but at the time when CW had just started it was pretty neat.

People talk about mold fatigue but the Stunticons were generally the first use of each of those molds. (MM being the exception.)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
  19. _Flashback_

_Flashback_ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    In hindsight the Legacy combined mode is better overall but I have to admit I do still have fondness for the CW set. The individual molds are a bit better and I like the designs. As others have stated both bring something to the table.

• Like Like x 7
  20. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    I never went in on that set because I thought it borderline offensive how bad the proportions of Menasor looked. Legs up to his armpits and massive ape arms. I didn’t like how any of the team members looked either. It’s not even about accuracy for me either (I dig the Fansproject Stunticons which aren’t accurate at all) I just think the sculpts and proportions all look bad. I feel like whatever design team Hasbro had at the time was their worst.

Just last year I found Motormaster at a Goodwill for $2 and even at that price, and in excellent condition, I really had to think about it. I had CW Optimus and absolutely hated the mold. Zero redeeming qualities for me. I ended up buying the Motormaster to give the mold another chance, but nope, it just reminded me how much I hate it.

• Like Like x 3