Stuff 'You' People Like, great new site

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KA, Mar 3, 2008.

1. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That entry is pure love. Dissapointed outkast's heya isn't on the list tho. That track is number one whitey crossover track as all getout.

2. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "yup·pie /ˈyʌpi/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[yuhp-ee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun (often initial capital letter)
    a young, ambitious, and well-educated city-dweller who has a professional career and an affluent lifestyle."

Is this really a bad thing?

3. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

It used to have a negative connotation of career-hungry young people who would do anything to get ahead in business and would often rise to executive level and have no discernable skills whatsoever. Also, They were the first generation to put off personal relationships and family for their job which at the time was not welcomed by society as a whole where it was believed you get married, have kids then build a career.

Remember the '80's guy' from futurama who had Boneitis and took over Planet Express through execu-speak? That was the original Yuppie.

But it has become a more general term as you posted above, but the roots are negative.

4. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    SWEET JESUS IN A PIMPED OUT MERCEDES IS IT EVER!

The major failing of the yuppie stereotype is that, despite all of their accumulation of...just a bunch of "stuff" (mostly stuff on that list!) they have no grasp of its financial worth, its historical or formal relevance to them and no understanding of why they should care about it. In fact, I think that yuppies are trying their darndest to empty their mind of as much as they can, or something - I mean, it's frightening when you go to a party with these folks and you find that every topic of conversation is fashion, blogs, hollywood, ikea...

This area - Northern Virginia - actually has so many yuppies that they begin to separate up into different styles. You've got the "I'm ridiculously rich but will still try to penny-pinch and argue with any sales employee" type, the "I'm going to throw thousands in the direction of this commercial outlet because I want thing X" type and the "I'm too rich to be bothered" type, amongst others.

Yech. Priviledged idiot snots make my skin crawl.

5. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

That list wasn't for "white" people it was for the upwardly mobile Yuppy children of Hippies who want to appear socially and eco conscious but in reality are nothing but a bunch of D-bags. Sadly, where I live, the majority of the bastards who are around here can be counted on to be spewing some sort of verbal diarrhea the 99.5% of the time is exclusively about one the subjects from that list. Yippy bastards.

Did he forget Mayonnaise?

6. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Bitch, I grew up on the streets of downtown Hammer. Ain't NONE of this shit apply.

7. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, I remember the Futurama guy, and...

... great zombie Jesus calm down man! I was referring to the specific defintition I posted, because my curiosity made me look it up. I know the derrogitory connotations quite well, which is why I myself was surprised to see this as its definition.

8. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    liege prime dude, humor is not dependent on whether something is good or bad. Yuppies, non-conformists, whathaveyous; theyre all fair game.

9. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

Can we just call them "Fuckin' Hippies" for short? I hate all these new college aged Hippies...

10. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    This post was what made me look up yuppie just to see its definition, already knowing it's bad- but sometimes I like to know things specifically.

True true.

11. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    oh shit the top ten rock music black ppl love deserves its own thread right there, that piece is hella educational.

Duran duran representin' y'all!

12. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    ....that's assuming that the definition you found was accurate, which I would say is more....incomplete. At the time the definition was formed, it also referred to crass materialism and faux intellectualism. Being young and affluent is not normally a bad thing (and not the sole definition of yuppie as was commonly understood), but having unfounded conceit, basing accomplishment and self-worth on what you own rather than what you have done, and being an insufferable twit are what has given rise to all of the yuppie scorn over the last 20 years.

13. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i looked up my dictionary, all they had under yuppie was alex p keatons mug.

14. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Thanks for sharing that :lolol 

15. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

Damn, I'm the whitest hispanic there is, cause alot of those things apply to me.

16. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I always understood yuppie as "young upwardly-mobile person." (Wikipedia seems to agree.) The concept of the yuppie seems to have a lot in common with the Marxist idea of the bourgeoisie - the middle class that is oblivious to the needs and concerns of the proletariat.

And as for those who would mock the Scots (one 't') - we brought the Enlightenment to Western civilization. And kilts are awesome. (One of the mods here used to have a tagline - "If it's not Scottish, it's CRAP!" I can't remember who it was.) And the engineer of the future, Captain Montgomery Scott, hails from Scotland! So there. ;) 

Yuppie != Hippie

17. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

4 out of 79 (and even those are a bit tenuous according to the descriptions). I better turn in my membership card.

18. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

Yippie = Hybrid Yuppie and Hippie, the sort of d-bag who drives their SUV to Earthday to pick up on chicks.

Half the crap on that list applied directly to Yuppies, but a lot of it applied directly to Hippies. ALL of the list pretty much applied to the Yippies, those smarmy bastards.

19. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

im a junior in college and a studio arts major, Our city started a recycling initiative and gave us a bin. So far all it has held was my ass going down a hill whilst sledding during a big snow. :D 

but yeah the list is for uber white people, but i was not aware all these hippie ideas applied to us.........i thought we were "the man", and i thought "the man" was republican or something or had a factory that made earth raping, ego maniacal, unfair wages, ...............wal mart.................etc.

20. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    the man? what is this? the 70s?