Studios Fight Back Against Withering Rotten Tomatoes Scores

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by bellpeppers, Aug 2, 2017.

1. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 12
  2. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    The second studios started actually acknowledging that inane site by throwing (positive) scores into their own advertising, they were fucked. They can't have it both ways, and can't cherry pick when they deem something as absurdly stupid as RT as being relevant only when it's convenient. That, and it's too late anyway. We're officially in a knuckle dragging era where people use hashtags to communicate and post shit as ******ed YouTube "reviews" made by *anyone* with an iPhone like they somehow mean anything (which they don't), so the studios are screwed no matter what unless they start better vhetting the morons they allow to press screenings.

• Like Like x 12
  3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I know, right?

This. I can see both sides of the issue. It's the same deal as Metacritic and video games. The averaged score isn't always a good reflection of quality or likely enjoyment, and loses all nuance and reasoning the individual reviewers would've given in their reviews. There's an actual issue here. At the same time, it's still a valuable consumer resource, and you don't just get to go "hey, this isn't working out, change my score!"

4. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

This sounds like Sony lashing out because the Emoji Movie initially received a 0%. Personally, I've never seen or NOT seen a movie based on something Rotten Tomatoes said. The simple solution here is to hire a better Think Tank and not produce garbage.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Agreed. Just make better movies and you can put that shiny Certified Fresh stamp on your advertising.

If something is clocking below 20-30%, I'm not seeing it unless it's Transformers or I'm dragged into it by a friend, group of friends, or family group. RT helps me save money. Call me a sheep, call me a knuckle dragger, I really don't give a shit, I'm not burning money on a movie that scored 7% on RT.

• Like Like x 7
  6. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

Maybe people should just use their own brain and think for themselves when choosing whether or not to see a movie.

• Like Like x 7
  7. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    That would be ideal, but I don't think they know how to anymore. I mean, this the same generation that now speak through memes and don't do anything unless a graph, rating or pie chart tells them it's okay.

Be Unique! Be An Individual! Think For Yourself! Don't Be A Follower!
    - Share if you agree
    #blessed

• Like Like x 5
  8. Diamondback

Diamondback Bitterly Clinging G1 Micromaster Malcontent

News Credits:
    Just like New Ghosbusters (barf), if you don't like being told you suck there's a simple way to make 'em stop: DON'T SUCK. It's Not Complicated.

9. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

The only time I ever even see a RT score, is if someone posts it here.

I don't really understand the point of an aggregate score. I'd rather read/watch individual reviews, from people who can explain why liked or disliked the movie.

Still, I understand why studios might feel the way they feel, but it just makes me feel like this is the dumbest time to be alive...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Megasquared

Megasquared Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But you can read individual reviews on RT. You just click the link for Full Review. Or if you don't have the time to read 100's of reviews you can look at the aggregate score for the general consensus.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    • Like Like x 2
  12. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Yeah, I get that. But again, I don't actually go to RT -- someone just posts a link or screenshot of the score, for some movie, here or somewhere else.

I also know how to seek out the individual reviews, without the assistance of RT.

13. Megasquared

News Credits:
    I didn't say that you couldn't find individual reviews on your own but they are there on RT fyi. Also you said you didn't understand the point of an aggregate score.

• Like Like x 2
  14. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

And I still don't.

Reviews are largely subjective -- they can make objective points, sure, but the sum of all the parts equal an opinion -- and an aggregate score of a bunch of opinions means nothing to me, unless I'm willing to go through each of those opinions/reviews (which I'm not -- I'll just read/watch one or two reviews, from trusted individuals).

So I, personally, don't see the point (or maybe "value" is a better word) of an aggregate score.

15. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Oh yeah, the scores on Rotten Tomatoes totally decide whether a movie is good or not.

Nope, not the people who review the movies, not the quality of the movie itself, not the studio who made the movie, but the score itself.

16. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    It's always fucking hilarious when the inept side of Hollywood gets confronted with the results of making shit year in, year out. You'd think that for people who make movies for a living it wouldn't be hard to figure out that hey, making bad flicks is going to bite you in the ads eventually.

Surprised you didn't throw in a comment about how this generation is destroying businesses with their lack of brand loyalty. You know, to complete the cynical out of touch stick waving old grouch routine.

• Like Like x 6
  17. Megasquared

News Credits:
    Your comment don't make any sense because you're saying that the opinions of many is less valuable than the opinion of one person. So if your trusted source said go see The Emoji Movie would you do it? Or look at RT and see 6% freshness which means 94% of critics HATED it.

18. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Which, a part of that process, is reading reviews. Like... RT.

19. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Does this pass for "clever" with entitled millennial's now? I can't tell without a Snapchat filter.

• Like Like x 3
  20. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

I don't know why this is confusing you.

Yes, the opinion of many people, coverted to a number score and averaged, means less TO ME, than a single review from a person that I trust. I don't know how to make it any clearer than that.

None of the reviewers I trust had anything nice to say about the Emoji movie. Do you place high value in the aggregate scores at RT? If so, that's fine.

• Like Like x 3