STUDIO SERIES VOYAGER CLASS SS-61 *SENTINEL PRIME*

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Actar, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Actar

Actar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ooh boy. This one's going to be a tough review! To preface it, I'm going to come clean and say that I'm absolutely in love with the DOTM Leader Class figure from way, way back. It's one of the last few great Transformers toys with a transformation scheme that rivals the now-legendary ROTF Leader Prime. The way the windshield just collapses into his chest? That's a slice of fried gold right there.

That's not to say that it didn't have its fair share of issues. As biased as I am, I'm not delusional. For one, it suffered from a rather severe backpack thanks to the batteries that were required for his electronic lights and sounds, there were a ton more panels hanging off his back than just his cape, and his non-faux chest is way too large.

All these years later, we finally have a new Sentinel figure in the SS line. Can the SS figure topple the Leader and take its place as the definitive Sentinel figure? Let's find out.

20200329_031639.jpg 20200329_032035.jpg 20200329_032132.jpg

Since we're here, let's start off with robot mode. The SS figure does indeed address and fix a number of the problems with the Leader Class figure. Without a battery box, the backpack is drastically reduced. However, the other fixes do come with their own compromises. Firstly, the chest. Yes, it is far, far more accurate and proportional, but you lose the amazing bit of transformation engineering and all of that kibble gets relegated to his butt. Credit where credit is due, it's worthy to note that they at least placed the real windows behind the faux ones ala the Beast Wars MPs and their animal heads. Secondly, they were able to minimize the number of superfluous panels by turning a couple of them into his swords. Rather ingenious idea, but the swords end up really wonky looking from one side and they cannot be stored in robot mode.

20200329_025957.jpg

All in all, however, bot mode is great. Proportion-wise, it's spot on. (Boxy chest from some angles aside) he looks far more accurate than any Sentinel Prime figure before him with the only real, obvious kibble being the butt windshield the ladders on the side of the legs. The amount of molded detail is also insane. While paint would have gone a long, long way in bringing out all of that detail, it's also rather unfortunate that he's mainly cast in a all black plastic. It's not as dark as what most pictures will have you believe, the black plastic does mask a ton of that detail. It's also really unfortunate that while the Studio Series line excels in terms of molded detail, it lacks in terms of transformation detail. In my opinion, there are way too few transformation steps that are purely for the sake of maintaining accuracy. One obvious example would be the two wheels on the insides of Sentinel's legs instead of just the one.

20200329_041147.jpg

In terms of articulation, there are problems. His head articulation is horrendous with minimal ability to look even left and right. To take the picture above, I had to pop his head off the ball joint and blu-tack it into position. The ankles don't move side to side either. The waist joint can indeed rotate somewhat, but it can come undone way too easily. At least the transformation joint at the waist can be used as a means to achieve a crazy waist twist as per the picture once again. The only other thing that gets in the way of the posing is the fact that his chest is angled downwards due to the transformation. What this means is that if you want him to stand straight with his chest held high, he'll be constantly looking upwards at an awkward angle.

20200329_035737.jpg 20200329_035459.jpg 20200329_041955.jpg

Still, the figure is articulated enough to pretty much pull of almost any pose you want him in.

The last major complaint relating to his poses is that, yes, his shield is missing. One of the most iconic aspects of his character... gone. Urgh. Perhaps they wanted to reduce the cost or perhaps they weren't able to find a way for him to store it in vehicle mode, like how the Leader could. Regardless, this severely limits his posing potential.

20200329_043053.jpg 20200329_043215.jpg 20200329_043231.jpg 20200329_043135.jpg

Speaking of vehicle mode, the transformation process to it borrows heavily from the Leader but is streamlined to make it more simple but yet almost just as satisfying. The only really annoying part is the fact that the back of the vehicle mode takes a ton of effort to stay pegged together. I'm not sure if it's because the pegs lack friction or that the tolerances aren't as precise as they should have been, but it takes a ton of massaging on my copy to get those back panels to stay together.

As for the vehicle mode itself, it's a boxy firetruck. The only nitpick that I have is the fact that, compared to the Leader figure, it appears to be way too long and thin. I'm not 100% sure which figure is more accurate, but the Leader figure's vehicle mode does seem to be better proportioned.

IN CONCLUSION!

If you're a fan of Sentinel Prime and want a version of him to scale with your other SS figures and are okay with all the (admittedly relatively minor) issues I noted, there's really no reason not to pick this guy up. There're no deal-breaking QC or design flaws and they genuinely did a really decent job of representing the character in the SS line even with all the constraints that come with it. Of course, that might be due to his inherently shellformerish design, but he fairs far better than some of the Deluxes with their entire roofs hanging off their back.

Coming back to the question that I posed at the beginning of the review. Is he a replacement for the DOTM Leader figure?

...not by a long shot! (^o^)

EDIT: Alrighty! I took my written review and turned it into a full-fledged video review! Enjoy!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 34
  2. Actar

Actar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    *Whoops, I accidentally put Leader Class instead of Voyager Class! Could a kindly mod change that for me? Thanks!

3. WEEGEE

WEEGEE Soviet borf comrade

News Credits:
    Meh it seems like he's much more accurate than the leader. I'd take this one especially since he should scale with Optimus and Megatron, creating the best scene of the whole movie.

Yeah most of your nitpicks were kinda minor, I mean I understand your love for the leader but this ones accuracy blows it out of the water, the only real legit gripe is the lack of a shield.

Speaking of which how does he scale with DOTM leader class Megatron?

• Like Like x 3
  4. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Don't worry, Anyone can make that mistake.

But still, Awesome Review.

5. AngelOfDeath

AngelOfDeath Active Member

How big or small is he in vehicle mode compared to, say, Bonecrusher or Mixmaster?

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    This is a really nice figure utterly spoiled by the cost-cutting. I would've gladly paid the extra to have this guy in a Leader box with more accessories and paint. Paint I can fix, I don't want to, but I can. The missing shield and weak sword are criminal, though, as is the missing gun. Sentinel was a brilliant design and his weapons were some of the few genuinely fantastic melee tools in a series stuffed with one-time-use greeble-y nothingness that pops out as the plot demands it.

The fact that Hasbro couldn't be arsed to mould this guy in red where appropriate really, really stings. It not only means there's virtually no detailed paint apps, the large colour-correcting ones look amateurish and cheap.

• Like Like x 6
  7. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Hey, Did Sentinel always have that wire on his chest?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bumblejazz

Bumblejazz :)

News Credits:
    This looks so much better than the leader, I always hated that thing, it was a nightmare to transform.

• Like Like x 2
  9. HAL237

HAL237 Well-Known Member

Yup.

2AE50347-6EC9-4608-9C32-B5A14BEE44B9.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  10. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    Glad to see another fan of the DOTM's chest transformation, it really is so awesome!

Still planning to get this guy too though. He'll fit in better with the others if nothing else.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi you get what you give!

News Credits:
    Stunning figure and fantastic review! Getting him for good.

And if you have Voyager Battle Blade, TLK, or Evasion OP, do you mind comparing him with Sentinel for scale?

12. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    looks real good. I preordered when it was $25. Cant wait to see this one in hand. Good review. I also think the leader is one of the best modern leader figures.

13. Actar

Actar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    20200330_022228.jpg

• Like Like x 15
  14. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cant unsee the Sentinal's spray nozzle. That one will look real good with some paint on it. The scale and proportions look fantastic. I wonder how the old voyager looks next to it. I remember I really liked the voyager at the time too.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Megatron118

Megatron118 Excelsior! Moderator

News Credits:
    This is probably the dumbest question I’ve asked in ages, but is this guy in stock *anywhere* at the moment? Or alternatively are there sellers in Asia that already have him listed somewhere? I was just wishfully hoping that I could possibly acquire him before leaving in May, but if it’s not possible then oh well.

16. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Can the swords be held individually?

17. Actar

Actar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yup!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How does the new figure look holding the old Leader's shield? I'm assuming it's comically too large for him, but wondering just how large.

19. Insurgent

Insurgent Big Red Fire Snorting Dragon

This figure will be mine. Despite the small niggles, it looks so good, and being my favourite character of the entire movie franchise, I have to get all the Sentinels. Does he have that little spike thing on his right arm? I can't see it, but given he has his chest wire, feels he should have his little arm spike.

20. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    seems the rear of the alt mode not tabbing together is common

• Like Like x 1