Studio Series SS-38 Optimus Prime from the Bumblebee Movie

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Mr.Deflok, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think Magna Convoy would look amazing on this one

• Like Like x 4
  2. User_136440

User_136440 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Those videos of Ton Ton's are hard work to watch, but ok for an early look at things. I know a lot of people were expecting this to be a retool of Siege Optimus, but it seems completely different to me.
    Yeah same here. There's no reason why it couldn't be a licenced Freightliner; all of AOE Galvatron's toys were, and Hasbro have made loads of other figures licensed by Daimler brands.

It'd be nice if the trailer that's bound to come with the DOTM leader Optimus will be compatible with this figure.

3. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    This is an incredibly nice looking Prime. Im definitely excited to pick it up.

Its too bad that the designers behind this weren't given material like IDW Optimus to design.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ishino

Ishino Studio Series enthusiast

News Credits:
    ...DotM leader Optimus? I missed this one.

5. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    Reason: Hasbro was told a flat nose truck will be used and they assumed it's the same one from AOE. Keep in mind toy usually started developing about a year before movie release.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's so not a big deal

• Like Like x 1
  7. User_136440

News Credits:
    It's not officially revealed yet but there have been listings found.

True, but the filming was done over a year ago, so they would've known which vehicles were being used (hence Bumblebee, Shatter and Dropkick having licensed vehicle modes in Studio Series). Unless that scene on the bridge was a very last minute addition.
    Oh it's nowhere near as bad as when they genericise the cars, but still goes against the trend of deluxe, Voyager and leader figures having accurate, licensed alt modes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2019
  8. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    Or Hasbro deliberately used the wrong vehicle because reasons.

• Like Like x 3
  9. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The bridge scene was in the initial preview screening cut (the cut with iced Megatron).

The Cybertron opening, daytime Optimus forest hologram/Cybertron flashback, and the nighttime post credits Optimus forest Autobot arrival meetup was added late.

See here:Differences Between The Test Screening And The Final Version Of Transformers: Bumblebee - Transformers News - TFW2005

So if the movie was done a while ago, with that is-it-or-isn't-it prop truck for the bridge scene, and this toy was worked on for at least a year, then this toy is probably his chosen alt mode.

The way the original cut existed, we are never told that the prop truck is indeed Prime. It could simply just be a fan service/homage. A foreshadowing of things to come.
    With the new scenes added in, it makes it seem more like the prop truck could be Prime, but it also very well could just be a red herring.

Adding to that, the designers are now using the ILM cgi assets to make the Studio Series figures, so if they were using them to make this Prime, then it would stand to reason that this is his correct alt mode.

That's why I think the toy's alt mode is his true future on screen alt mode.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
  10. User_136440

News Credits:
    I didn't say that. I was merely pondering over why they hadn't licensed a figure from a company they've already acquired licenses from for several vehicles.

11. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    Blue text means farts.

• Like Like x 4
  12. User_136440

News Credits:
    Indeed. It also helps if I don't misread words too. Mistaking 'or' for 'oh' gives a post an unintended extra condescending edge. D'oh!

13. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    From what we know, the bridge wasn't a last minute addition, but we have come to the conclusion that the Prime we see at the end of the film in bot form has Marmon parts. Why? Perhaps Prime in his concept art was initially meant to turn into a Marmon truck, so some concept artist designed Earth Prime to resemble that said truck, then they ended up using a different truck in the film all said and done and ILM didn't feel like commissioning that artist to redesign the Earth bot mode as he only appeared for 2 seconds. Hasbro, of course, depends on ILM's art so they also ended using a Marmon truck too.

Now, here's theory 2 if I'm wrong and the bot mode indeed does have Freightliner parts:
    Prime in his concept art was initially meant to turn into a Marmon truck, so some concept artist designed Earth Prime to resemble that said truck, then they ended up using a different truck in the film all said and done and ILM commissioned that artist to redesign the Earth bot mode, but Hasbro ended up using the initial concepts arts as it is known that Hasbro bases some of their designs off of those.

We won't know for until we see Prime's Earth bot mode clearly.

• Like Like x 3
  14. User_136440

News Credits:
    Yeah there's no way of knowing I guess. I've just assumed he was meant to be the Freightliner all along because they've gone with Bumblebee's G1 alt mode so naturally they'd want to do the same with Optimus.but maybe not. At least he has the new robot mode; the Energon igniters just give Optimus his Evasion mode.

15. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah, no idea. We know the Freightliner alt mode exists so it's a matter of when we get to see a figure utilizing it. I'm predicting once they get the Optimus Prime movie on a roll, we may see the accurate alt mode then (including an MPM version).

• Like Like x 2
  16. User_136440

News Credits:
    Talking of Masterpiece figures, it doesn't look like MP-44 has a licensed alt mode either, now I come to think about it, which again is odd given how all the other Autobots aside from Ultra Magnus are licenced. It's kind of curious when there doesn't appear any reason why the license for that particular vehicle is unobtainable

17. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Random thought: The combination of this G1-inspired yet also movie-centric design, plus V3 MP Prime, is a great 35th anniversary celebration. Really speaks to the legacy of TF, from both ends as it were.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Reflector Prime

Reflector Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They are definitely reliable. You could say I know the people in charge. I bet the toy comes out even EARLIER than the date listed, but who knows?

• Like Like x 1
  19. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

Just preordered this from my lcs today

Cant wait

20. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    I confess...

This is most def a toy I'd love to see upsized to MPP-10's size.

The detail in this deserves it.

• Like Like x 1