Studio Series SS-38 Optimus Prime from the Bumblebee Movie

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Mr.Deflok, Dec 19, 2018.

1. spikebuster

spikebuster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That’s not what Trailbreaker( my suv) says. He looks nothing like the designs in the Bumblebee movie.

2. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    That was also part of my point, which seems to be mostly ignored by the previous poster. We don’t know what an alien robot would look like so I at least want to see something new and interesting that surprises me. The bumblebee movie cybertron designs were cool as hell, but none of them are very surprising and I doubt I’ll be thinking about them in ten years like I do with bayformers.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Love this design, hope this figure is built solidly and sturdy enough to standup to longterm play over the years.

• Like Like x 5
  4. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    +1

5. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I don't think I made it clear enough. What we may think about alien body plans is irrelevant because Transformers aren't a real alien species. They're a fictional race of robots who's backstory is quite well known and explored upon in the movies. We know exactly their gimmick, and we know they're largely humanoid. We know they've been at war for however long they have been, and with all that we know why I feel it makes sense for these robots to look the way they do in BB, rather than the previous Bay movies, which again I'll reiterate would be akin to walking into a Hazmat restricted area without any clothes on, let alone appropriate PPE.

Like...we can either talk about how the Transformers should be realistic...in which case I think that will open up a can of worms I just don't want to get into. Or we can accept the fact that we practically know everything there is to know about the Transformers as a race, because their backstories, lore, and origins have been written time and time again, and have been explored even in the Bay films, and explored once again to a degree in Bumblebee.

6. Retroheavy

Retroheavy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Leaves thread for a couple days and comes back to..
    A965381D-30DF-453F-8C9D-FD33953EA4FA.jpeg

• Like Like x 17
  7. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You do know they have no guts or digestive system to protect. No circulatory system that can bleed out. No respiratory system. They have a brain and spark that matter to life function. Parts, limbs and everything else is pretty much inconsequential. Working within the concept of transformers I don’t see how much better they can protect their brains or sparks. Everyone has some kind of helmet or head armor and everyone’s chest was protected by alt mode parts. All that being said your arguments make no sense.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Alpha-trion

Alpha-trion Sentai Warrior

IDK or care about the design specifics. I like both. I got SS Voyager Megatron for Christmas, love it to bits. Also got Siege Megatron, love that too.

When the 2007 designs leaked, I thought the same thing... They're aliens, and that is whatsw being conveyed. After seeing clips from BB, I do prefer the G1 designs. Mainly because A. I can tell who was who, and B. I can finally tell WTF was going on in the fight scenes .

Before any live action came about, my assumption would be for Transformers, and even the 2017 Power Rangers Megazord to look more akin to a Gundam. Only because to me that is the perfect harmony of block robot, but streamlines. So far the only robot to deliver on that modernized style is Voltron Legendary Defender. Very Gundam-esque whilst maintaining what we know Voltron to be.

Either way I am buying this figure for the same reason I bought SS Optimus, and Siege Optimus... I simply love Optimus in many forms. Won't lie, while a G1 looking prime is nothing new, I can't help but get the chills seeing these characters in action this way. After 5 movies with no continuity, or structure... I can embrace a little absurdity as some of the G1 designs are.

I will say this about Bay movie asthetics, I prefer the Cybertron depicted in BB than any other film. Sorry, but there is nothing interesting about a muted silver, desolate, honeycomb patterned ball. Cybertron in BB Pops without looking too cartoonish or too Tron looking. Well blended balance of color, light, dark, and war torn appearance.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Love this design, and the figure looks great as well, but I'm going to hold out for a bit and see if there will be any MPM rumors for Optimus. After Bumblebee got one I feel like this design is ripe for one.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Need more pics of the toy

• Like Like x 5
  11. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Nothing about their origins is explored in the MOVIE continuity though, so none of this applies. It’s all just based on what YOU want to see so just say that.
    Thank you. I was going to say this. All of the arguments against the bay designs are based on assumptions about transformers that either assume they’re like people or that they’re like robots we would make. Neither has to be true in an alien robot and so it doesn’t work as an argument at all.
    When I saw cybertron in the first scene in DOTM I thought it was an awesome concept, but when I realized later in the film that the WHOLE PLANET looks like that I was disappointed. Cybertron is an entire planet. It shouldn’t all look like one thing. If the honeycomb thing was just one city, or one area, it’d be cool, IMO.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Scottimus Maximus

Scottimus Maximus Member

YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    it\'s perfect

• Like Like x 1
  13. moonspeakmini

moonspeakmini One shall stand, One shall fall.

Gosh, I love how Knight's designs are and in toy form, he looks just as good! I am super excited to pick him up when he's available. Along with Siege Prime, because you can never have too many Primes!

Good thing I got a DETOLF at Ikea, I am starting to run out of room on my desk for all these gr8 figures lol.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Philip164

Philip164 Board Member

News Credits:
    But in the Power Rangers movie it was stated they we're based on Earth Dinosaurs.

But on topic, it's a fantasy, Alien Transforming robots from outer space make no logical sense, you might as well go with the more Human G1 look; other wise why would they have anything other than a weaponizer mode, a vehicle mode or a spiderly mess of limbs and sensors.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    Some have made the point, but it's very simple. A feature film is not an excuse to just take the name "TransFormers" and then throw anything and everything else out the window. That's what got you to the basement of the box office, where Aquaman - the joke of the superhero world - outsells you more than 3 times over.

Yes, these are alien robots according to the backstory. But that same exact backstory also establishes humanoid forms as being prevalent. All of the original inspiration and sourcing was more fundamental robot design than it was alien design, and you can't just pretend it wasn't. If you do, you're no longer TransFormers. If anything can be TransFormers, Transformers isn't anything. Very simple concept that almost all other brands grasp very well, especially in this age of fan power.

That isn't to say you couldn't take the base designs in a more alien direction if you want to. In fact, I think 99% of us expected to see designs in the movies that pushed classic designs in a new direction.

Unfortunately for us, what we got instead were designs that had very little to no relevance to the character at hand, all the while being ugly, over-complicated, and difficult to follow and process on screen, especially when any locomotion was present. More than once we got designs which were actually crude or offensive in one way or another. More than once we got designs which actually cheated more than the very designs they were supposedly improving upon. TransFormers lost all identity in the process, and instead of being defined by functionality, power, stealth, and style as they had been for 25 years - instead became defined by how weird, spindly, generic, random, and cliche everything started to look.

Thankfully, it appears once again that era is over. Now is the time to make it clear we won't support another attempt at simply taking the basic concept of transformation, and throwing everything else out the window. They wanted you to believe they had already fixed all the problems, but now you know for yourselves that isn't true, and the public at large has lost interest because there's nothing interesting to see here that you can't find elsewhere because as I said before - TF lost the unique footprint that made it popular and continues to make it popular despite attempts to ruin it forever.

You can't seriously take faithful designs, use them as nothing more than glorified easter eggs, and then expect us to believe that everything is just suddenly alright now can you? Don't be duped. The fact that Optimus has an Earth mode while in the movie that obviously can't be reconciled to time and place tells you all you need to know about how serious they were about moving in a new direction. The designs are nothing more than throwaways, and that's the cold hard truth you don't want to hear.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Lukelbs

Lukelbs "Discipline is freedom."

Perhaps it was unfortunate for you and others. I love a lot of those ugly mugs.
    But for me it's unfortunate that a unique branch of the brand is now going to look like everything else. Originality is less important than fan service I guess.
    Are you talking about the new film? Because I feel the new film is far more guilty of this than the old ones.

Either way Bumblebee was an alright movie and seeing this design for Optimus in action does make it more appealing.

• Like Like x 10
  17. fathi_haziq

fathi_haziq Petrolhead

News Credits:
  18. Philip164

Philip164 Board Member

News Credits:
    I wonder if he includes a Matrix

• Like Like x 2
  19. bumblebeej8

bumblebeej8 Pinpoint Doodle User#3

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Do you know if there were any other photos on the account?

• Like Like x 3
  20. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube: