Minor/Repaint: Studio Series Shockwave Eye Mod

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by sideswipe29, May 2, 2020.

1. sideswipe29

sideswipe29 Collect what makes you happy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Greetings everyone,

I've seen this mod a few different times on the boards here but no one has ever made a full tutorial so I figured I'd show you guys the steps I went through.

For reference, we're taking Shockwave and going from this:
    20200425_121503 (2).jpg

To this:
    20200425_163540 (2).jpg

The tools for this job are relatively simple.
    20200502_105253.jpg
    You'll want the knives and screwdriver + hammer combo for taking the head apart but use caution as you could run into the problem I had and stress the plastic (more on that later).

And of course you'll need a gem for the eye. This is a simple pack I got from Walmart for $1.99 (pre-quarantine).
    20200318_232145.jpg

There's a few other tools you'll need that I show in the next few photos.

So, for starters you need to take the head apart as show here:
    20200425_134628 (2).jpg
    20200425_134645 (2).jpg

The best way to do this is insert your knife from the bottom and slowly rock it back and forth along the seam. Eventually when you have a gap big enough you can insert your screwdriver and gently tap it in with the hammer. I emphasis gently because if you tap too far you'll poke the top of the head and cause a stress mark as shown in this photo:
    Untitled2.png
    I was able to fix this down the road by taking a hair dryer to the piece and blasting it with the hottest heat setting for about 2 minutes. It's best to use caution and avoid this damage in the first place though.

Cutting from the bottom only gets you half way though. To take the head apart fully you need to go from the top. This scared me initially as I did not want to scratch the paint or stress the plastic anymore than I did already. For this step, I used my thinnest blade (the one with the blue handle) and gently insert it along the steam. The key thing to note here is that there are two pegs within his head that you have to cut through to pull the head apart:
    Untitled (2).png
    It's tricky since you're working blind and only going by feel but just gently cut along the steam and use gently but even pressure and eventually you'll feel the knife cut through.

I will advise another bit of caution here and tell you not to cut too much towards the center of his head. As you can see, the post that the original eye is on is located here and if you cut too much down the center you will risk cutting off that post entirely (like I did). Should this happen it's not the end of the world and might make the mod easier but just be aware of where you're cutting.

Overall, it took me about an hour of patient and gentle cutting before I had the head apart. It will probably go quicker and smoother if you have more experience and know about the posts ahead of time but just take it slow and you'll be fine.

The next step should be widdening the hole for your respective gem piece. The smallest size gem from the pack that I bought was 1/8th of an inch. I didn't have a pin vice large enough to hold a bit that size and I didn't want to use a drill so I held in bit in place with some pliers while I gently twisted the head around to carve out the hole I needed. I then took a round file and widdened the hole a little extra to get the fit just right.
    20200425_154047 (2).jpg
    If you don't have either of these tools you could theoretically take a small dowel and some sandpaper and
    gently sand down the hole with the dowel.

Either way, you should end up with an eye socket like this:
    20200425_154023 (2).jpg
    20200425_154032 (2).jpg

Next is the gem. For me, I had to improvise as the post the original eye was on got cut off. My original plan was to shave down that original post and glue the gem to that piece and slot it in as one unit with the back of the head. With the post snapped off, I had to still shorten the post so it wasn't too long, then I glued the gem on. Then I insert it into the eye socket and glued it all in place.
    20200425_154001 (2).jpg 20200425_155745.jpg 20200425_155752.jpg 20200425_155736.jpg 20200425_155808.jpg

Once the glue had time to dry in the socket I just glued the two halves of the head back together.
    20200425_162000 (2).jpg

And once that had dried completely it was a simple matter of popping the head back on the body.
    20200425_163301.jpg

From the underside you can see where I wedged the screwdriver in and made some gaps in the plastic.
    20200425_163638 (2).jpg

But from the top, it hardly looks like the mod was done at all. And as I mentioend previously, I was able to get rid of the stress mark with the hair dryer.
    20200425_163646 (2).jpg

All in all, this was a pretty simple mod. Taking the head apart was definitely the scariest step but the final product was well worth it. If you can get the eye in just the right lighting you get some really cool effects
    20200425_163453.jpg
    20200425_181645.jpg

Let me know what you guys think and if you have any questions. I'll do my best to help others if they want to tackle this mod too. :thumb 

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 22
  2. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Interesting tutorial, but there really is no need to take the head apart if you don't want to.
    I see why you did, though. Countersinking the new eye is a bit more difficult without doing so.

I did this way back in January with a pin-vice, an Xacto and the same Walmart gems:
    -Pin-vice with a wider bit to drill out the stock eye and counter sink a spot for the new one.
    -Xacto to clean up and to carve up under the brim of the eye area to allow the new eye to sit in place.
    -Glue the new eye in place.

• Like Like x 8
  3. sideswipe29

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I know back in January when I asked you what you did for your mod you mentioned you didn't take apart the head and just counter sank a new spot for the gem. I could have gone this route but felt like there was more of a risk of me messing up the rest of his face. At least with taking the head apart I was able to go from the back and control how much I was carving out of the hole.

Perhaps if I was more comfortable with tools, had steadier hands, and had more mods under my belt that method would have better suited me. Either way, thank you for sharing your experience with this mod. Hopefully someone here can use your method and share their results. :D 

• Like Like x 3
  4. Dachande

News Credits:
    Whichever method is used, your completed project looks excellent!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lunatic Prime

Lunatic Prime Former Prime and light piping fetishist

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's awesome, man :thumbs2: 
    Artificial lightpiping :lolol :bay 

• Like Like x 2
  6. sideswipe29

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Thanks! It turned out real good.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Megatron118

Megatron118 Excelsior! Moderator

News Credits:
    Nice! Not sure I feel up to this, maybe one day lol. But the final result makes him look like he did in the closeup scene after the desk fell.

• Like Like x 2
  8. sideswipe29

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    That's exactly what I was going for when I took that picture!

This is defintely a scary mod to do now that Hasbro glues heads together. Back then they were screwed in place this would have been a breeze. You could try Dachande's (formerly Yaujta) method and just drill from the front and not even bother with taking the head apart.

I think it adds a lot of extra personality to the figure but I've seen it too where people will just add a small white dot on the eye to make it look for reflective. Even that works.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Megatron118

Megatron118 Excelsior! Moderator

News Credits:
    You....you changed your name. What twilight zone bs am I living in??
    Nothing makes sense anymore :oops: 

Yeah that makes sense. I honestly never thought anything was wrong with his eye until I saw y’all’s mod haha. I’ll think about it. I more so just want a new hard plastic blade, hand, and gun barrel set. Also I see you remove do the heel spurs on yours. I did that too, but I took the whole thing out from the mushroom joint

• Like Like x 2
  10. sideswipe29

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    A new blade, hand, and gun barrel are very necessary to make this guy complete. Hopefully DNA or Dr. Wu or someone can release something in the near future.

And the heel spurs are ironic because I was actually scared to pull the whole joint out of the mushroom peg because I felt like it was too tight. And yet here I did this mod which is more dangerous. Maybe I'll go back and take out those u shaped joints just to clean up his legs completely.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    the before n after pics are hilarious. looks like he goes from angry to an anime character.

12. sideswipe29

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    He does have that kawaii anime sparkle in his eye :lol 
    anime-sparkle-eyes-gif-1.gif

13. JomasterII

JomasterII The Space Consultant from Jolo

News Credits:
    Ah, the ol' Zaku trick! Nice work.

14. Lunatic Prime

Lunatic Prime Former Prime and light piping fetishist

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Do you have a link to that method, please?

15. Dachande

News Credits:
    I didn't take tutorial pics, but described it above.

• Like Like x 2