Studio Series GE-07 WFC Sideswipe

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ApocalypseThruster, Mar 30, 2024.

1. ApocalypseThruster

ApocalypseThruster Local “Why aren’t they here?!” Poster

News Credits:
    [NOT AS IN-DEPTH AS PREVIOUS REVIEWS, WILL FILL OUT MORE WHEN I HAVE TIME]

GE_Sideswipe_Box_Front.jpg
    GE_Sideswipe_Box_Side.jpg
    GE_Sideswipe_Box_Back.jpg

Quick thoughts:

Still got the weird jank that all the other GE figures have (though haven't gotten the Decepticons, so wouldn't know how they are in-hand). Robot mode has some strange decisions. He lacks ankle-tilt, and while his feet can move up, they can't move down. The area near the feet and the sides feel empty, too. The gun he has also doesn't have a 5mm port, so you're forced to plug it into his arm for him to use it well. The arm can't unpeg, at least not easily, due to the peg being painted. While the gun can be used with the little tab, it doesn't peg in well and will fall off.

His waist rotation is also really weird. It actually extends up into behind the ab section, so if you move it, the chest will unplug. On the plus side, as his own dedicated mold, he doesn't suffer from looking like a body-builder with a huge upper body, and the articulation he does have is serviceable. Plus, his tolerances work fine. Note that one of his backpack pieces is detached in the package, and is tied to the overlay in front of the background. It has to be re-attached.

Transformation's unique, though. The legs form the sides of the car, with the chest and back becoming the main parts. The instructions are unclear in one of the steps, Step 10 & 11 in particular. I personally swing the arms out, swing the chest piece as Step 10 says, and then clamp it back in, with the middle piece being covered by the connected arms. The resulting car mode isn't bad at all, looks a lot like a futuristic version of ROTF Sideswipe in G1 colors. It's a solid chunk of a vehicle, and comes with the added bonus of no visible robot parts at first glance. Downside: it can't roll well, but again, not sure if I have a jank copy.

Note that the transformation back to robot has annoying parts with the panels on the sides and the hood of the car being really tight connections to undo.

Personally, has its good points, but it also has its flaws. I'd suggest making your own judgement on this one, since it seems like one people would have varying opinions on.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
    • Like Like x 4
  2. AlvinC

AlvinC Making bad financial decisions

News Credits:
    Just want to note this for those that didn’t watch the wondercon Q&A. According to BMAC: The gun is supposed to be swappable with the arm so most likely a production issue where the paint makes the arm connection very tight. He stated they “fixed” the gun after the first wave so it will have the standard peg handle for other figures to hold. So maybe it’ll be like the SS ROTB Bumblebee face variant from last year.

Edit: so I misinterpreted BMAC’s response. Sorry for the misunderstanding! More info here:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Wars

Wars I ate the WHOLE plate

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not sure about this one just yet. I have a lot of love for the Cybertron games and their character designs, so that has a little tempted to pick this guy up. But like most of the GE figures he certainly doesn't seem like anything special, and I don't expect he'll be a sleeper hit like Starscream was.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Vertex

Vertex Still Rockets Redglare

News Credits:
    I love the WFC updates (strange design choices and all) so will be after this for sure. :cool: 

• Like Like x 1
  5. Denzimus

Denzimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sometimes I wish I could thank Hasbro for helping me save money lol. It's aight I guess. It's not like the best but it ain't bad either.

• Like Like x 2
  6. DDCWGD

DDCWGD Lurker Extaordinare!

Ebay:
    I just can't get it out of my mind that he looks like a Cybertron version of DotM Leadfoot. His round torso and spherical backpack makes him look bulbous. I get that the High Moon designs cheat harder than most designs, but it really seems none of the characters can look like accurate under Voyager costs.

It makes me worried for Warpath, because he's a really awesome design, but if he's a deluxe, then he'll probably cheat one mode or the other and probably look like a balloon like Bumble and this figure.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wars

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Do we know for sure that we're getting a Warpath? Or that he's a deluxe? I'm not fully up to date on the leaks for this and next year's releases.

I would be surprised if he wasn't a voyager though, seeing as we're getting Ratchet and Ironhide in that size class, and Warpath was easily their size or larger in the first game.

• Like Like x 1
  8. AlvinC

AlvinC Making bad financial decisions

News Credits:
    No leaks for WFC SSGE Warpath at this time

• Like Like x 1
  9. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    So the gun isn’t easy to attach securely?

10. Deadends Meds

Deadends Meds Yup

The tab on the gun is 5mm in length, so he can hold it.

I've also.done the shake test with him holding the gun. It hasn't flown out and I have not lost an eye.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Chainlink

Chainlink No real than you are

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    This is one of those figures I want to like, but I'm not sure if there's going to be too much jank for me to really enjoy him. And with the current prices, it's hard to take a risk on a figure.

Anyone have him and Concept Sunstreaker? Wouldn't mind seeing how the two look together.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ApocalypseThruster

ApocalypseThruster Local “Why aren’t they here?!” Poster

News Credits:
    Yes, the tab is 5mm in length. However, it doesn't hold securely, at least for me.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Denzimus

Denzimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Aight I know I was talking a lil crap about this figure but I must say it's actually quite enjoyable as a toy if you treat it like an actual toy lol. Still not a fan of the terrible feet design and he is a bit chunky though I guess.

20240403_155711.jpg 20240403_160110.jpg 20240403_155150.jpg 20240403_153812.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  14. Depthcharge

Depthcharge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pretty great figure honestly. Definitely my favorite of the gamer edition figures and the first time I really feel like it's an improvement over the original Generation version.

The transformation is unique and maybe a bit involved but still fun and functional.

One side of the vehicle between the canopy and the door is much tighter than the other. I can get it all pegged together on but it takes a little squeezing to get the spoiler to lock in over the doors so something on my copy feels a little off in that regard.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Nemesisprime1975

Nemesisprime1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I preordered him on Pulse today. Had the original which, despite its flaws, I liked and this looks a better figure. Wish he had the pathblaster but I can give him that gun from the original.

Love his altmode too. It's typical cybertronian. Wish I still had the game to play.

• Like Like x 1
  16. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really like this. The lack of ankle tilt sucks since we’ve been so spoiled with that as a near default articulation since Siege, but everything else feels good. Fun transformation, neat robot. Definitely a nicer Cybertronian Swipe than the Siege toy. Even though High Moon never did it, I’d love to see this retooled into a Red Alert, maybe incorporating some of Nick Roche’s MTMTE design.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

He feels kind of cheap to me. Sunstreaker feels better in hand.
    Almost feels like a figure from a different time period.

18. TrophyBOT125

TrophyBOT125 Always send the boob in first

News Credits:
    IMG_6889.jpg

"Recycling? That doesn't seem so bad."

"Yeah? What exactly do you think they're 'recycling'?"

20240406_121029.jpg

Last edited: Apr 6, 2024
    • Like Like x 10
  19. Wars

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Okay this might have actually convinced me. The three of them look really good together!

• Like Like x 4
  20. troglodyteman217

troglodyteman217 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    directly below the enemy scrotum AKA Greece
    Can someone put him next to the old WFC Prime deluxe?

• Like Like x 2