Studio Series Deluxe Class Ratchet

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by HereticalHeresy, Feb 20, 2018.

1. HereticalHeresy

HereticalHeresy Decepticon

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Didn't see a thread for him, so I'll start it up with my general thoughts.

He's... Okay. I don't feel like there's a lot that stands out about him, but at the same time, he doesn't have much wrong with him, except for the back kibble that goes down to his knees. Transformation is pretty neat, rather fun, has some cool parts flipping around, and nothing was frustrating, but I feel like the negative on mine is that I have a warped plastic top, preventing the black top piece from pegging into the hood. His articulation I felt was good, but I wish the shoulder kibble pegs in, it sorta flops around. Overall though, I'd give him a 5 or 6/10. He's not bad, but I think there may be some better options out there, like the previous deluxe from RotF I believe?

Out of the 3 I got, if I'm being honest, I'm far more impressed with Bumblebee, and especially Stinger. But, considering I don't have a movie Ratchet, I don't regret my purchase. If you can only get one figure, go for Stinger.

I'd be happy to answer any questions about him, or pic requests

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  2. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for sharing! There's no way to do anything about the back kibble? It can't be folded up at all?

3. HereticalHeresy

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Unfortunately, there is not. I've tried messing with it, the only alternative is to flip it around so the black piece folds up, but in exchange, the entire green piece folds down to the knees, so essentially, you're left with the same setup either way you do it.

4. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well he looks fine, but Ratchet has already had a couple pretty good deluxes so not sure he was needed. At least he seems pretty big for a deluxe. Is he a totally new mold?

Thanks for the review!

• Like Like x 1
  5. HereticalHeresy

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Actually, I retract what I said, I found a solution. I just removed the piece entirely by unscrewing the wheel, and screwed the wheel back on (the wheel is a seperate piece, no work was required). Works much better in my opinion.
    As far as I'm aware, yep!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 9
  6. Shadow25

News Credits:
    Thanks @HereticalHeresy !

This guy is waiting when I get home. Besides the unfortunate back, he really looks like the best and most well-proportioned Ratchet yet. Needs a couple of additional paint apps - specifically the black on the cage parts on the forearms, and more silver on his head!

• Like Like x 1
  7. HereticalHeresy

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    @Shadow25 No prob! I think you may like that back fix then, I don't know about you, but that completely changes my feelings to just get that out of the way, I'm much more satisfied with him now. Less screen accurate in vehicle mode sure, but I prefer the cleaner look.

Just be sure to reattach the wheel, it helps keep the backpack pegged in in robot mode.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Nemesis Otaku

Nemesis Otaku Why did I un-ironically call myself an otaku?

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Thanks for the pics! While it sucks that the kibble reaches the knees, he looks fun regardless.

Here's a pic request if you wouldn't mind: if you have all the deluxes, could you post a pic of them all together.

• Like Like x 1
  9. HereticalHeresy

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    I skipped out on Crowbar, but here are the other guys (with Ratchet's back removal)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Nemesis Otaku

Nemesis Otaku Why did I un-ironically call myself an otaku?

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Thanks! I'm planning on collecting the whole line, which means I'll have the 2007 Autobot cast. Glad to see that BB and Ratchet look good together. I can't wait to get my deluxes in the mail!

11. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Any chance you could snap a picture of the side profile with your mod? Maybe a side-by-side with DOTM Ratchet if you have him?

12. Shadow25

News Credits:
    With him in hand, I can easily say that he's the most accurate and well-proportioned Ratchet to date. He hits the right balance of athletic and chunky where all the previous versions leaned too much into one or the other. Missing some paint apps but they shouldn't be too tough to add-on namely face detail, black on the cage part of the arm, and black lining on the vehicle mode.

Now for the QC issues! Several of the small tab / slot connections don't fit together on mine. The wheels, when rotating around for vehicle mode, don't securely tab into the car to hold them in place. The panel on the side of the car that folds onto his leg doesn't hold onto the foot tab on one side. In all cases it seems like either the tab or the slot is too big or thick- but I'm not sure which so I'm hesitant to do any cutting or trimming.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Laulau

Laulau Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Isn't it just a remold frome the DOTM deluxe Ratchet ?
    Can someone take a comparison shot between them ?

• Like Like x 2
  14. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Mine should be arriving today. I didn’t realize that the back kibble was so bad until you guys got him in hand. Might be a deal breaker for me as the alt mode looks too naked without the cage on top.

• Like Like x 1
  15. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    Surprising that, given how much tooling this seems to share with the DotM deluxe, that they didn't allow for the back kibble to fold up better. Will likely be a pass from me. I'd rather a new voyager anyway.

16. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Medic

News Credits:
    Ratchet seems to be an entirely new mold, but the transformation scheme is very similar (though not identical) to the DOTM Deluxe. The images of the Studio Series figures make him look tall for a deluxe, and he is, though not quite as tall as I imagined.

IMG_0202.JPG

He stands 5.5 inches tall, about half an inch taller than the DOTM deluxe.

IMG_0208.JPG

However, his vehicle mode is actually the same size, if not a bit smaller. Note that I made some mods to my old DOTM deluxe.

IMG_0212.JPG

The two vehicle modes have a similar level of detail, though it is worth noting that the roof of the SS version looks a lot cleaner. Personally, I prefer the first movie color scheme for Ratchet. I never cared for the inexplicable "E4" logo. Vehicle mode tabs together pretty solidly, though the side panels tend to pop out easily.

IMG_0221.JPG

In vehicle mode, he looks very nice next to HFTD Voyager Prime.

IMG_0223.JPG

I feel that robot mode is an improvement over the DOTM deluxe. He is better proportioned, the head sculpt is larger and more detailed, and his legs have more paint apps and mechanical details. In person, the roof rack is not as irritating as I thought it would be. As someone else noted, it can be detached by unscrewing the spare tire. Personally, it doesn't bother me. I definitely appreciate the addition of lights on his shoulders and the saw blade weapon that mounts on his arm. The joints on my copy are somewhat loose, but that is easily remedied.

Overall, I give him a solid 4/5. If you do not own the DOTM Deluxe, or if (like me) you want a Ratchet in his first movie colors, this guy is definitely worth picking up.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 18
  17. Olivus Prime

Olivus Prime Space Ranger

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As much as this figure looks to be the best Deluxe Ratchet thus far, I still find it a shame that the kibble is so excessive and the deco so minimal, and that they never attempted Ratchet again at the Voyager scale.

• Like Like x 4
  18. User_136440

User_136440 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You know this pic may just have made me more likely to get him.

In testing how he’s taller in bot mode, but a tiny bit smaller in alt mode. Shame they didn’t design the backpack to fold up like the DOTM’s does. A bit of black on the arms makes a huge difference.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Wheeljackie

Wheeljackie He will set us free

Ratchet I didn't expect would be my favorite figure from wave 1. He's really fun. I think I got lucky with my batch of deluxes as none of them have QC issues. I removed the cage and wheel he looks much better without it. Articulation is decent. However I feel when I rotate him grill and chest to transform it feels like I bending plastic or am going to break the figure. Besides that he looks really good in both modes.

• Like Like x 1
  20. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    Thank you for the review and thoughts. I am a Ratchet fan and collector but I have plenty of movie Ratchets but I have been on the fence whether I wanted to get this or not. Up until yesterday, I was under the impression this was a reuse of the DOTM deluxe mold. From sight alone, I do wish the face had some more apps and not very thrilled with the Captain America shield-esque buzzsaw. I might still get him to at least keep MISB, but I'll probably wait until he shows up in store.

• Like Like x 1