Studio Series Constructicon Long Haul

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Shmoptimus Prime, Jun 8, 2019.

1. MadMaximus

MadMaximus Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I'm going to be selling my spare custom if anyone would like to purchase it please PM me. He's got some custom detailing and I fixed the bed so it pegs together really nicely and the joints have been fixed up real nice and tight. Real proud of this one.
    IMG_20190921_152655.jpg IMG_20190921_152648.jpg IMG_20190921_152733.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  2. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I did it! I feel like there’s still a bit more room to move between ratchets but it doesn’t wiggle freely now! I found a c-clamp but it really wasn’t working well. So I used an adjustable pipe wrench and that worked great! I also picked up a bunch of various size pin punches and a center punch. And boy oh boy did that center punch work. Two clicks and I was able to pull out the pin!

Thank you so much for going over the instructions again for idiots like me.

• Like Like x 3
  3. BluePineapple72

BluePineapple72 Well-Known Member

I removed the screws underneath his wrists, and although there is a great improvement in the bowing in truck mode, one panel still isn't 100% stable. I am also uncomfortable leaving the screws un-assembled. My plan is to shave down the screws before screwing them back in. For those of you who have modified your screws, how much did you take off/how long was the resulting screw?

4. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Why are you uncomfortable leaving the screws out?
    The two halves of the arms are plenty secure without them.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BluePineapple72

I feel like having that extra layer of support would just make me feel better personally. I’ve also found it slightly harder to peg the hands into the truck mode bed. The fingers spread slightly when applying pressure to post them down since they aren’t held down by the screw.

• Like Like x 1
  6. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Gotcha.

You do realize however that there is another screw in the arm about 3/4 of an inch above where there hand screw was, right?
    That connection isn't going anywhere.

No need to waste your time cutting screws and whatnot.

This is the simple fix.

• Like Like x 3
  7. BluePineapple72

I did not. Thank you!

Now I have to worry about the waist lol. I’m not looking forward to that

8. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

No prob :) 

The waist on the other hand ...I caaaaaannot help with, its sucks. Lol

I bought a Takara version and it's slightly better out of the box, so I'll leave as is.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BluePineapple72

Eh. It’s a necessary sacrifice. I want him to be stable for leg mode. I wished I read through this thread before jumping the gun and getting him once I found him at target lol. There’s always next time I suppose

I think with enough patience, and the guides posted here I’ll be able to get it to where it needs to be. Taking it apart and fixing the issue is fine, but my biggest concern is reassembling the figure.

10. BluePineapple72

So I took this guy apart in an attempt to try and fix his waist. Getting to the silver peg I found that it was perfectly flat with the rest of that abdomen piece. I tried to push that rectangular piece in but to no avail. Reassembling, I got the ratchet to be tighter, but his waist isn’t flush with his chest and he still wobbles :/

I’m at a loss now, I think it’ll be best to go back in and try to push that piece in, but I don’t know if that’s going to work.

Hopefully Devastator will be able to stand with a floppy ankle.

11. egrudzin

egrudzin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mine was this way also. I tried to use a center punch to push the pin in further, but nothing happened. What I finally did was pinch the whole thing in my vise - not a ton of pressure, nothing to damage the plastic. And that worked! The whole assembly was shorter so when I reassembled the torso and waist didn't have the gap. Wobble not so bad now.

I can't take pics since I put it all back together, but hopefully you can try using a vise or clamp to squeeze the whole thing together and get a similar result.

Good luck! (really ticked they can't get this right at the factory...)

• Like Like x 1
  12. BluePineapple72

I’m worried I may push in the square piece too far though, which is why I didn’t force it. How far did you push the square piece in? (Or did you just shorten the entire assembly?)

Thanks for the advice!

13. THEdeathsHEAD

THEdeathsHEAD Lockdown's #1 Fan

I highly reccomend doing it this way:
    It takes a good squeeze! I didn't think of using a vise, just a clamp worked for me. You should just push the pin in until the cap is flush. I felt it bottom out after a soft click. I have pics (not the best quality though) in post 92 of this thread.
    Here's the ratchet assembly bit:

14. BluePineapple72

I must say, I did use your guide to disassemble him, and it worked very well. I’d like to extend my internet hand towards yours for a digital handshake. My square piece was turned the wrong way, and that gave me a tighter ratchet when I turned it.

Here’s some photos I took of the surgery last night.
    06A59D7C-22B1-40BB-943A-8B8CFE46822F.jpeg 09846892-0ACC-4C9C-BE6E-1B8BBDD3E415.jpeg 939CFDC6-93CB-4C99-B419-9D35CDB3EC74.jpeg CA7FE591-05C6-4077-A1EE-27A7F7DF83E2.jpeg F37FF4AF-5330-4EBF-B7C4-8BBCE8290CB5.jpeg I wish I had taken a picture of the waist ratchet apart from the main figure. But I’m all it looked like the after image on your guide; with the silver pin flush with the gray plastic.

When messing around with the piece last night I found that the ratchet square was a little ‘pushy’, so my theory is that this pierce in question, and the green plastic shown surroundingng it above need to be pushed in. I’ll take another stab at it again Monday. Thanks again by the way!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Soooo..ive waited to see what everyone came up with for fixes on this guy..is it the consensus that the 2 screws are the culprit for the bulging in truck mode? I want to fix that but I have not really identified the problem. Looks like it could be 2 tabs..could be the shoulder parts.cant see it.

and the waist..did you make a guide? I might tackle that today too.

I like the figure..but its a QC trainwreck

16. THEdeathsHEAD

THEdeathsHEAD Lockdown's #1 Fan

Hey I just worked out what you meant, did you figure out what to do with the ratchet housing? If the lower assembly (green plastic and square part) is pushy try pushing the lower assembly all the way into the top part of the ratchet housing and see how far the rivet pokes out of the gray plastic.
    Mine was pushy as well and when I squeezed that lower assembly into the top of the ratchet housing the rivet would rise out of the housing 1/8 inch. Squeezing the whole rachet assembly with a clamp pushes the lower assembly in and the pin gets seated completely. The green plastic you mentioned shouldn't be outside of the gray housing which is what you see in the gap pictures by rego0012 here.
    6F70FD4A-059C-4377-A52F-5C95133C14FE.jpeg
    The pictures aren't the best, but I made a quick post about fixing the waist gap earlier in this thread:
    I could only get the waist gap closed in robot mode so far, and the cab section tabs into his legs in truck mode a bit better.

I tried trimming the tabs on his forearm, and it only did so much. The sides still a bit bulged on mine but now it tabs and holds.
    The real issue is inside of his forearms from what I've seen. I would try removing the hand screws for the least effort first, but if you can remove pins there's this method by Sponge which should completely fix the problem:

EDIT: @Snake_eyes1975 After trying it yesterday, I can confirm Sponge's method works! I no longer have any issues with Longhaul- no more bowed out sides in truck mode at all, and the forearm guards collapse completely in robot mode.
    Before, bowed sides even after trimming the armor tab:
    0808192037-1.jpg
    After, no bowed sides, cut wrist screw & rivets, shortened armor stems:
    1126191057a-1.jpg
    And bot mode pics with fully collapsed forearm guards:
    1202191759-1.jpg
    1202191825b-1-1-1.jpg 1202191800-1.jpg 1202191825-1.jpg
    Thanks @Sponge!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  17. BluePineapple72

I was planning on using the clamp method, but I got worried about breaking the internals of the piece :/

It's too late for me now; after taking the figure apart and putting it back together twice, my screws have reached the point of no return and I won't be able to reopen him. I'm gonna have to keep him as he is. I'm hopeful that his waist ratchet will be strong enough to support devastator.

• Like Like x 1
  18. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    hopefully there might be a factory fix for longhaul, I see from wotaku's review of mixmaster that figure seems to be pretty solid in all modes with lots of well engineered tabs, seems devastator really is a mixed bag.

19. iuJacob

iuJacob low battery

News Credits:
    Ordered one (Hasbro) from Amazon.

Everything is solid, bed tabs in properly. No loose waist. Must be a newer run or something.

Truck mode is fairly bowed, though.

20. Highbrow98

Highbrow98 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I've ordered one recently, too. The arms work well, the waist isn't wobbly, but the truck front is a bit bowed. The knee fix helped a bit, but I think I'll have to take them apart and redo them.