Studio Series Blitzwing & Topspin

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Paladin, Feb 22, 2020.

1. XaxisGuy

XaxisGuy Metasuchian

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    He made the entire plot happen but ok

• Like Like x 3
  2. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Super stoked for this guy. Might even buy 3.   Its a refreshing design compared to Bay\'s Dorito seekers, and on the first voyager scale try.
    An MP version would be pretty spectacular 

• Like Like x 2
  3. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    On the plus side, if people want to be anal about a not perfect but servicably jet-mode on a figure with a robot mode that is pretty much perfection itself... hopefully it means it will be easier to find on shelves!

...Who am I kidding? All the people bitching and calling it an easy pass will probably still get it...

• Like Like x 4
  4. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

The robot mode looks great, the plane mode looks like a bloated Sukkoi Su-27 Flanker.

5. BATTLEMASTER

BATTLEMASTER Thunderlips Overlord fan and 3D designer/printer

That gets weird though. The F-4 Phantom and the AV-8 Harrier were built and purchased with US taxpayer money. Would the looks of the aircraft not be public domain then?

6. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Lord High Governor

News Credits:
    Blitzscream looks okay for the most part, shame about the lack of phantom alt-mode but that's personally not a deal breaker for me. He also sizes up pretty well with the others in the Bee film.

• Like Like x 2
  7. DarkEyes

DarkEyes Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The bot mode looks pretty good and particularly have no problem with the alternate mode. The real issue is in plastic quality, the figure does not look sturdy at all with that transformation process. I know we leave in the Transformers CHPS era, I know, and have to expect really low quality standards but that has to be in line with an adequate price that justify the lack of plastic quality.

I would buy it considering a good sale.

8. grimtnt

grimtnt Armada is older now than G1 was in 2002

News Credits:
    Why would that be the case? Regardless of whether the us government buys them with tax payer money is irrelevant.

The planes were designed and built by McDonnell aircrafts, the designs aren't public domain, the designs belong to them, McDonnell aircrafts produced and sold them to the us government as part of their military contracts.

They are no more in the public domain than the model of the president's car is.

9. Powerstomp

Powerstomp Well-Known Member

Looking forward to a review of Topspin. Curious to see what Leadfoot will look like too.

10. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I agree, but as for the part I bolded, this reaction is unfortunately pretty common. You still have grown men throwing temper tantrum shitfits that Earthrise Cliffjumper, a great rendition of a character normally relegated to being a straight repaint, transforms by taking the rear part of the car off. It's incredibly sad the amount of vitriol people can muster for a TOY. We're all passionate about this hobby but there can be eloquent ways of expressing a negative opinion that escape most of the users here.

BTW, I'm not arguing with your post at all I just wanted to add my $.02 to that one sentence and it turned into a mini rant.

11. Powerstomp

Powerstomp Well-Known Member

I personally love that Cliffjumper and wish Hasbro would do that more often to streamline the designs.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Actar

Actar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me, the robot modes and vehicle modes are too disparate. Not enough of the pieces are shared for me to consider this a figure worthy of picking up. When accuracy is concerned, I don't look for just robot accuracy or vehicle accuracy. The transformation engineering is important too and this figure just takes too many liberties with the deesign.

13. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I haven't been all that impressed with some of these pics... but that side by side?
    Doesn't look bad at all.
    I may reconsider my thoughts on this.

14. Q Prime

Q Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I might pick up another ER SS to repaint into BB Blitzwing. Should looks cool.

15. diablogunner

diablogunner Defender of the All-Spark

I am not a big movie figure fan, but damn, he looks great.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    What on earth is that gray fade on the front of the jet? That looks catastrophically bad.

Robot looks great.
    Paint aside, the jet shape is tolerable.

17. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    The issue isn't just that it's not an F-4, it's that it's absolutely nothing at all like an F-4. It's practically the opposite. High-winged single-engined twin-finned, instead of low-winged twin-engined single-finned. The only way it could look less like an F-4, was if it was a biplane, or a car. Even G1 seekers are closer than this thing is, at least they're twin-engined.

There are many unlicensed "looks close enough" TF toys out there. This isn't one of them. This is like using a Mazda Miata convertible for '76 Bumblebee.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    What about the cockpit, wings, fuselage, and tailfins?

I don't know, there's hardly any kibble on this guy in 'bot mode. All of the plane gets used up in the robot mode, and in almost all the right places. The way the legs split in half and unfold to make up the rear section is pretty great, as is the big pendulum flip around those two struts. The only place it falls short for me is the robot arms just ending up underneath the wings with little transformation.

No, not at all. Not even close. The same way you purchasing a TF toy does not give you legal ownership of the character likeness and IP.

EDIT: And even if it did, that would mean the patents are then the property of the US Government, not public domain. And ignoring the often classified nature of military weapon design specs, Government property is not public property. Government property can be designated public property, like roads and sidewalks etc, but not everything. Likewise, your tax dollars do not entitle you to ownership of anything that money is then spent on, in the same way buying a TF toy does not entitle you to the toy plus whatever your $30 USD is later spent on.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  19. superkeaton

superkeaton Active Member

I just noticed, did they lose the gun pods under the wings?

20. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Probably wasn’t included with his figure. Since it won’t be out for a while still, this was likely a stolen factory sample that PvP was able to get.

• Like Like x 5