Studio Series Blitzwing & Topspin

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Paladin, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    I feel like we are arguing semantics but in general share the same disappointment with SS Blitzwing. Deluxe Jet Shatter obviously is inspired by the Harrier but just has general similarities. Nozzles and wings have the same placement but the shapes are different. Based on the Harrier yes, but not a Harrier. It's like saying CW Air Raid is an F-14 but it actually isn't, just obviously inspired by it.

Hopefully Blitzwing can be transformed differently and I'm itching to see a transformation video for it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    That GM bow tie on the front, though...

For someone who’s complaining about alt mode accuracy you seemingly have little knowledge of half the alt modes you’re comparing.

Nitro Zeus isn’t in Studio Series. The figure you’re thinking of is the KSI Boss, who used Nitro’s model and did not transform on screen.

If that were the case his robot mode wouldn’t have accurate faux Phantom kibble.

You guys are arguing as though you know the intent, when it seems to me Hasbro just couldn’t get the license for the Phantom. (Most SS figures do, but not all)

• Like Like x 3
  3. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Other way around. Nitro Zeus was a reuse of the KSI Boss model.

4. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I knew as soon as I posted I’d get “umm, ackshually”’d by someone, but I didn’t say KSI Boss reused the model, just that he used the same model. (Aside from the head) I figured, contextually, given KSI Boss/AOE predates Nitro/TLK, it would be obvious to anyone reading who came first and the actual point of my post would still be clear.

I’m sure you’ll argue semantically that I called the model “Nitro’s” as though I implied it belonged to him first, rather than again the obvious fact that Boss was first and both shared the same model, but once again I feel like it was clear what I was saying.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Ravage101

Ravage101 Well-Known Member

I don’t want to be arguing with you either, Shin. I have been a huge fan of your photo review site since when I was buying energon figures and beast wars repaints in Universe, way back when. I have a different opinion on Shatter but we both agree on Blitzwing.

General Motors, that’s what I meant! Lol lol lol, ahhh bullshit. Im not a car guy, but I could have taken a better look at the “bow tie”. Good comeback!

Nitro Zeus, KSI Boss, doesn’t matter the jet mode should have been a real jet from the actual film. Besides the head isnt even the correct KSI Boss. Its a better Nitro Zeus paint job being called KSI Boss. Talk about Zero love for either character. My point still stands.

Your point on the F-4 kibble in Blitzwings bot mode was solid gold. Great point. Absolutely correct.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2020
  6. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Your standards are such a stupid mix of arbitrary, hypocritical and vague I shouldn't bother... but OK. Let's do this.

"A few inaccuracies". Bumblebee was such a rush job that they didn't wait for the finalized design to be made before designing the toy. Whilst he has an accurate vehicle mode, the robot mode looks NOTHING like it did in the movie AT ALL. What love went in to such a thing in comparison to Blitzwing?

It's not supposed to be JUST a random KSI robot from AOE. It was supposed to be one in partiticular. This one:

300px-AOE_KSI_Sentry_render.jpg

As you can see, the most obvious inaccuracy is that the Studio Series toy is in an entirely wrong colourscheme... but beyond that, the Pagani alt mode you're harping on aboit was not what this guy turned into; he was a Chevy Trax. Lazy retools are showing more love that entirely new molds? OK.

It's not "A dread". It's Crankcase. Who cares about it having the right alt mode when, rather than having the correct robot mode, he's using the exact same one as Crowbar? The toy is utterly WEIRD, especially hiven that TLK had Berserker, who used the same character and alt mode, that could have been redecoed instead. They literally did not care. No love.

No. Not Lockdown. It's Shadow Raider, as in... these guys:

800px-Lockdown_and_his_mercenaries_TF4.jpg

Outdoing the previous KSI Sentry, Shadow Raider didn't even get their own head! Just an obviously pre-tooled Lockdown head slapped on to the SS Lockdown mold. The (second) least amount of love given to anything in the SS line.

This conversation is not just about vehicle modes. Showing love to the figure includes the robot mode and YOU YOURSELF said that the Studio Series needs to be accurate to both modes in your original post. Don't backtrack and change the goalpost when you make an ass of yourself. In any case, Shatter goes in the same category and Bumblebee.

Dropkick goes with Shatter and Bumblebee.

"A Constructicon". You keep handwaving that these toys are representing actual characters in order to help your narrative, but it doesn't make you less wrong. Scrapmetal uses a robot mode from concept art, completely inaccurate from the movie. The onscreen charavter had the same robot mode as Scrapper in minature.

Rather than making a new chest, they've reused the ROTF mold's chest... making him totally inaccurate.

I'm sorry, but you can tell that's not true just by looking at the robot mode. A bunch of love has been put into giving him a great, accurate robot mode ven if it wasn't possible in vehicle mode. It doesn't matter if you personally prefer the vehicle mode be given preference... it's not an indicator that no love was given.

Also, the absolute irony of saying Blitzwing has been given no love when you yourself don't seem to care enough about the characters to know what the toys are trying to represent, solely blathering on about how "real" the vehicle modes look.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  7. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer D&D newbie

News Credits:
    The conversation actually is just about vehicle modes. That's where it started, and that's where it's been, up until someone started pointing out inaccurate bot modes for some reason. That's not the conversation. The conversation started with Blitzwing and how bad his alt mode is, and then led to other SS figures with inaccurate vehicles. @Ravage101 was just being snarky and turning your post back around to the original subject of vehicle modes only. You're arguing bot modes in an argument about alt modes. So eager to be condescending that you end up writing two long posts that are pretty much pointless and off topic to the conversation

• Like Like x 2
  8. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    Um. BS. Read the post I was replying to.

"What makes this a disappointment is that the whole point of Studio Series is getting characters transforming robot characters straight from their respective Transformer film, in every way; that include vehicle mode"

The post I originally responded to complained that the Studio Series was all about having perfectly accurate robot modes and vehicle modes. Specifically stating that Blitzwing has been given "no love" as if it didn't have a great and accurate robot modes. The conversation switch happened AFTER I pointed out all of these inaccurate robots (and vehicles, in Dropkick, WWII Bumblebee, WWII Hotrod, Shadow Raider and KSI Sentry's cases).

Oh gosh. I hope I'm not sounding too condescending to you. But saying a figure has been given "no love" simply on the basis of an inaccurate vehicle mode alone is a stupid statement in the first place... and to even argue that totally wrong figures like Shadow Raider, KSI Sentry and Crankcase are alright simply on the basis that their vehicle modes are liscensed, regardless of whether or not they're the right ones, is utterly idiotic.

• Like Like x 2
  9. John TheDestroyer

News Credits:
    Ravage was a bit on the dramatic side, but he never denied that there are inaccurate robot modes. He never said anything about bot modes. You put the wrong section in bold. "What makes this a disappointment is that the whole point of Studio Series is getting characters transforming robot characters straight from their respective Transformer film, in every way; that include vehicle mode". The Studio Series is in fact supposed to get them as perfect as possible. And the line definitely does have a few cases of very inaccurate bot modes, nobody denies that. But the conversation was solely about vehicle modes until you brought up the bot modes

10. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    If you say that Studio Series are supposed to be perfect in both modes, then say that an accurate robot mode with an inaccurate vehicle mode is evidence of receiving "no love" and that inaccurate robot modes with liscensed vehicle modes (even if they're not accurate) is evidence of receiving "love"... you're, firstly, bringing robot modes into the conversation, and, secondly, taking a stance that is nonsensical.

• Like Like x 1
  11. John TheDestroyer

News Credits:
    No one said anything about inaccurate robot modes with licensed vehicles until after you had already brought bot modes into the conversation. I already admitted that Ravage is a bit on the dramatic side, but he clearly meant "no love" in the sense that no thought or care was given to the alt mode

Anyway, I'm not often dragged into debates like this on here anymore, only when the person I'm debating keeps debating back;)  No hard feelings though, I'm done with this argument

Back to the thread subject, I hope that the inaccurate rear parts of Blitzwing aren't pinned in, that way someone might be able to design a replacement back half of the jet and give us something a tiny bit closer to an f4, or at least a more realistically proportioned jet fighter

12. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    SS Blitzwing at most only has the intakes from the Phantom in robot mode and even then that intake design isn't unique to the Phantom nor is the windscreen which is a design similar to fighters designed in the 50's-60's.

I stated what *I think* happened, I didn't post claiming I knew what happened.

It would need a substantial amount of plastic to fix the proportions in jet mode, the issue would be where it all goes in robot mode. Sure TLK's Nitro Zeuss toy wasn't a SAAB Gripen unlike the movie but the jet mode was at least proportionate. That's my issue with SS Blitzwing, the proportions, not so much that it isn't an F-4(though that'd be cool to see down the line).

I'm still planning to see it can be transformed differently for a better jet mode.

13. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Red and black red and black

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    @Ravage101 Actually Studio Series 'Bee and Hot Rod arent made up WWII vehicles. They're Humber Light Reconnaissance Cars.

1280px-Humber_Light_Reconnaissance_Car.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  14. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    This post is 100% correct. I will add no additional comment to it and simply voice a strong agreement with the argument Gaga has made.

• Like Like x 1
  15. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I'm just glad that we're even getting a SS Blitzwing after all this time.

• Like Like x 6
  16. Ravage101

Ravage101 Well-Known Member

OMG! Thank you for this. Some one is actually getting my point. Yeah I did think the vehicle mode might have been real but I couldn’t find it so I thought it was a good made up vehicle. Glad to be wrong.

Yeah, you know I have been focusing on Vehicle modes, right? Not, bot modes, the Vehicles. With exception of KSI Boss/Nitro Zeus, all of your examples vehicle modes are unmistakably based on real vehicles. Blitzwing’s Jet mode is based on NOTHING. Which is a surprise because the bot mode (which looks good BTW) has parts from an F-4. The Bot has F-4 parts but transforms into a cartoon jet that looks like it came from some other line. It’s sad!

This has been my point, my only point. Studio Series Figures need to be well engineered to have real world Vehicle modes that we can identify. That is all I am saying.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    OK. So let's pretend for a moment that you never said that they have to be accurate in both modes and that it was that post I was originally replying to.

The stance that Studio Series needs to be based on and accurate to real-world vehicles and that that should take priority over actually resembling the characters they're supposed to and it doesn't matter even if that vehicle mode is completely different to the one from the movie is completely idiotic... and frankly it means you're wanting something from the toyline that it never set out to do.

I honestly can't believe anyone would die on the hill that is "it doesn't matter that KSI Sentry was red, had a unique robot mode and turned into a Chevy Trax and the SS toy is blue, is just a headswap of Stinger and turns into a Pagani because Paganis are real cars!". Sometimes this fandom just makes me want to bang my head against the wall. Goddamned pelicans.

• Like Like x 3
  18. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    But why? A completely inaccurate or flawed robot mode is acceptable as long as the alt mode is "kind of" accurate, but a perfect robot mode at the expense of a made up jet mode is not?

Like am I the only one seeing a weird double-standard with the Blitzwing hate, here? The robot mode is perfect but the jet mode is your typical license-dodging made-up thing. It still looks like a jet, and a good one at that, just not the specific jet he was in the film. A lot of the Constructicons have made-up alt modes that barely resemble the vehicles they represent in real life, but there's nowhere really complaining about that. (Even Scrapper gets a free pass by many) Vehicle modes never seemed quite as important as Blitzwing's suddenly is, unless maybe some of the supercars.

It just seems incredibly pedantic to complain about the jet mode when it was never going to look like a Phantom anyway, and the robot mode is so good despite it, and we're at the point where the jet is no longer a surprise anyway, so why is it still such an issue?

Sorry, when I meant "you guys" I was more talking about those who apparently consider SS Blitzwing's jet mode some malicious conspiracy of "no love" or something.

Though it's more than the intakes. The split and stacked cockpit of the Phantom is also replicated on SS Blitzwing, and thus a notably different design than that of the toy's alt mode. The wings also unfold to match the bent Phantom wings on the movie model despite becoming totally different looking wings in alt mode. No expense was spared making Blitzwing as accurate as possible in 'bot mode, hence my confusion at the idea that Hasbro simply didn't care for the jet mode.

Also as an aside: Blitzwing's CGI model totally squashes the cockpit in the film. The Phantom's cockpit, notably the three-window forward section, is very long and thin on the real jet in comparison. These same components become visually squished in robot mode, obviously because his torso would be too long if they weren't. Pretty amusing.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Not Blitzwing

Not Blitzwing Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Personally, I think the figure is worthy of my namesake.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Destron Enforcer

News Credits:
    To those upset about this figures alt mode: I'm pretty sure Lemon Tree or some other 3P company is making a Blitzscream that has the F-4 Alt-mode, so perhaps you'd be happier with that one?

I still think the figure looks fine as is, the alt-mode would make this an easy seeker mold for Hasbro to use.