Minor/Repaint: Studio Series Blackout - Hands and refueling probe mod

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by cloudballoon, May 26, 2018.

1. cloudballoon

cloudballoon Well-Known Member

I ordered the SS Leader Blackout almost a month ago the first day it appeared at walmart.ca (Canada) but it only arrived last night. What an amazing figure. Masterpiece worthy engineering/transformation at regular retail price more than offset the small size for a leader. Not much I can ask for except better cover of the copter's bottom part - panels that fold up into a shield for the bot mode maybe? Too much to ask, really.

Anyway, like many other Radicons here, I took out the pins for the hands and replace them with "Gene Block" ball & socket joints, the hands can now rotate a full 360 in bot mode and it easily flip into place just like the original for Sikorsky MH-53 'copter mode.

Next I chopped up the refueling probe in 2. The part that attaches to the fuselage can fold completely into the chest in bot mode. The probe tip I added a copper rod and drilled a hold where the probe original was situated, so it look just shortened in bot mode, AND I also drilled a hole to the peg in the rear rotor part so the probe tip can attach to the rotor and act as a "laser" gun or something.
    tf-ss-blackout-01.jpg tf-ss-blackout-02.jpg tf-ss-blackout-03.jpg tf-ss-blackout-04.jpg tf-ss-blackout-05.jpg tf-ss-blackout-06.jpg

• Like Like x 24
  2. Blackout32

Blackout32 PANTERA FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Really cool mod my friend. That's a hell yeah i think.

3. Rambar

Rambar Stunticon

Can you give a link or what to google for the ball and socket joints? Tried googling gene block but nothing relevant came up

4. cloudballoon

It was made by the Japanese toy company Atelier Sai years and years ago. Probably too hard to find on the market except the likes of eBay now...

It's a type of building toys like Lego that you can build anything from. But unlike Lego where you connect pieces by studs, it's by balls & sockets. I get over a hundred balls & sockets with just a few boxes of these, and they costed like $10~$20 USD a box.

DSC02510.jpg

DSC02513.jpg DSC02514.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  5. Masterhentai69

Masterhentai69 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Nice mod for the hands, I would try it but I already forked $18 over for the shockwave lab third party hands

6. Riddler

Riddler Soundwave superior, Autobots inferior.

You have any spare gene blok prices for this? I can't find anything on ebay

7. Ricardo Dawkins

Ricardo Dawkins Well-Known Member

8. Riddler

9. cloudballoon

I still have enough for a dozen or so of these balls & sockets sets that can do these similar projects (did the same on a few AOE Dinobots & some Generations figures). I live in Canada, mailing things to domestic/USA/international is more expensive then the USA rates. If you want, I can send some to you if you don't mind paying me through PayPal just the postage cost.

10. Riddler

I might take you up on that, IDK yet. I was tinkering and found a new way to attack new hands via Lego's. IMAG0235.jpg it just slots in. I fold up the hand, and close the arm around it. IMAG0234.jpg
    I just need to find a better hand to put there. And more parts to make a 2nd one for his left arm. If I can't find better hands, I'll definitely hit you up.

11. cloudballoon

You're welcome anytime. The Lego setup is good. Can't you just drill a whole through the gray & black oblong pieces and put a screw through and attach to the original hands, they'd swivel too.

12. Riddler

The beauty of Lego's is this. I can take this peice cut it in half, IMAG0229.jpg and glue the hand onto it. It would then slot neatly into my current setup. Only problem is, the hand is what holds the whole assembly in place.
    IMAG0271.jpg
    Now, if I get a junker bot with hands I like, that will happen. Also, oblong pieces already have a hole in the middle. It is what holds on the hand I have on there. How much would that postal cost me BTW?

13. cloudballoon

14. Riddler

15. Riddler

How does the ball socket fit into the hand for this? Does it just snap-on? Or is some cutting required? I have a tone of Lego balljoints I could use, but I don't know how y'all attached yours to the hands.

16. Riddler

IMAG0277.jpg
    I went a tad overboard, but I made a set of poseable hands I like. And, from this point onward, no autobot bully will ever steal blackouts lunchmoney, no siree

• Like Like x 2
  17. cloudballoon

Sockets attached to the hands with copper rods & super glue.