Studio Series BBM Voyager Shockwave

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Lazerwave, Jan 16, 2024.

1. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    Head is 2 standard Hasbro screws, no glue. I used a modded Philips #0 screwdriver (filed the pointy tip off).

Showed a pic of the LED chest above in tank mode. Silver backing the clear purple chest window would effectively prevent any LED mod from working. There is one specific area to attach a magnetron LED in the chest to work, although quite annoying and needed to use needle nose pliers.

LED mod more in depth:
    Heavy/Scratch: - Various mods (of mods), custom stuff

• Like Like x 2
  2. GitGudGabe

GitGudGabe v e h i c o n

News Credits:
    This right here! See also- gamer edition. These are cybertronian modes, you can build them around robot mode articulation and re-use parts- that's what they're best at. Look at United Starscream and Legacy Jihaxus. Both of them have vehicle modes based on a source material, but they're not painstaking translations of them into 3d, and they're all the better for it. Nobody's complaining, because of how well the robot mode payed off. Shockwave never even transformed on screen- design a fully articulated shockwave, then figure out what it turns into.
    For goodness sake, Seige figured this out 5 years ago. While based on vehicles in abstract, the main priority was making g1 esque robots, and the vehicle was figured out later. Some did it better than others (Megatron, shockwave, and Ironhide vs Soundwave and reflector) but nobody could diss the articulation.
    Like you said, a prime shockwave did this a decade ago. Nobody's going to mind if you copy your homework- ER Prime, 86 grimlock, and the Grap-ferno molds all copy the MP's. They already stole his vehicle mode, they couldn't copy the transformation too?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Nemesis Scourge

Nemesis Scourge Unicron's finest

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Is it possible to pop off the shoulder armor bits or are they pinned in?

4. MST3KFan

MST3KFan Master of the Obvious

News Credits:
    Just found this guy today (of course after the Target Circle sale). He's a pretty big guy...but I like the Decepticons all being way bigger than the Autobots. Reminds me of Transformers Animated.

Took a bit to figure out how to get his arm cannon on as the instructions don't mention his hands can flip into his arms.
    Also, the light piping is disappointing...pretty much have to shine the light right into the little spot on top of his head to get it to glow.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    Pinned in place with a 1-way pin. It ain't coming off without damage. One would have to guess where to drill a hole on the other side to even punch the pin out.

The light piping isn't as good as the Siege bot. Longer distance and internally, going from a smaller lightpiping part to a significantly larger lens.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Got mine. Not a fan of soft plastic(hate how much of it was used on SS DOTM Shockwave) but thankfully here it’s primarily used with the wire for the gun connecting to the back and is long enough to prevent strain regardless of how the arms are posed. Light piping is okay but needs to be aimed from above and behind, the lens itself is painted well and looks layered even if it possibly isn’t. Transformation is easy but felt like the abdominal section had questionable tolerance.

Lack of bicep swivel may have been due to not wanting to cut through raised upper arm parts. It doesn’t bother me as much but I can see how it would bother someone that’s used to Generations Shockwave figures traditionally having some form of bicep swivel. Ankle tilts have more range when tilted downwards.

Sculpt looks great overall. I like how it has darker deco compared to the core figure. While the dedicated thigh swivels are hindered, there’s an additional swivel directly above the knee that aids in posing(think it’s meant for transformation but still useful).

Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  7. George982

George982 Well-Known Member

IMG_0779.jpeg

IMG_0778.jpeg

Hadn’t seen anyone mention it yet, but they even kept the autobot logo on his arm that his CGI model had due to mix matching other existing models just to get him into the movie. I believe his arm is a piece used from the Optimus Prime CGI model. Cool that they left that little detail on the figure.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Alright, let’s talk Shockwave. I picked this guy up because I had $26 in price-adjustment gift cards so he cost me a whopping $6 after gift cards and taxes. So how is he?

IMG_5480.jpeg IMG_5481.jpeg

Let’s start with the boxed boy and man he feels hefty and large for a voyager. In the store next to other voyagers he looks positively colossal. Taking the tray out of the box, he fills that tray. I don’t think I’ve seen a figure fill out their tray like this for a good while.

I’m going to cover the alt mode first, because like the other Bumblebee movie designs, it’s a bullshit nothing block. If you’re familiar with TF:p  Shockwave or the Core class BB Shockwave then this will be very familiar, legs out, arms back and stick the cannon on top.

IMG_5489.jpeg IMG_5490.jpeg IMG_5491.jpeg

It sucks, but it rolls and it locks together very well. Locking points at the hips, knees, ankles, shoulders and elbows. You can adjust the cannon angle somewhat but the joint is so stiff more often than not you’re just going to tear the cannon off of its post. Okay, enough about that, onto the good stuff.

IMG_5482.jpeg IMG_5485.jpeg

In his robot mode, Shockwave looks like a proper big mean bastard of a bot, the kind of guy who would see fleeing enemies and say “yeah this is a good opportunity for a war crime”. That deep purple chest window is beautiful, and his wide face/head casts a striking difference from your average or Garden Variety Shockwave. Speaking of the head, the light piping is not very good. This is the best I could get in good lighting with an actual flashlight.

IMG_5483.jpeg

He poses decently, but man do the lack of biceps really hinder him. I don’t see why it was necessary to skip them, the elbows lock into the upper arm for transformation so it’s not like it would have hurt the vehicle mode, as if that would have been a great tragedy anyway.

IMG_5484.jpeg IMG_5487.jpeg IMG_5486.jpeg

Still, he’s hardly a brick and there’s enough articulation in there to cover your Shockwave basics. He can do a point and shoot, he can gesticulate menacingly and he can do a walk like that one comic book cover. I’m not gonna do the cover shot, it’s just gratuitous at this point.

IMG_5488.jpeg

Portraits a stunner, and that’s where I think the main summary of Transformers: Studio Series: Bumblebee Movie: Shockwave lies. He looks really nice, he’s got a good presence and that’s about it. I’m not collecting any of the other Bumblebee movie Decepticons, mainly because I think they all look bad, but I can’t resist a Shockwave. Soundwave’s bizarre sad bucket head made him an easy pass, Starscream just looked outright bad and Megatron looks okay but I’m not paying over retail or expending any energy to hunt one down. Should you buy Shockwave? If you like the way he looks, I think he’s an easy sell. If you’re unconvinced and hoped to be won over by a really fun action figure? Give this one a pass.

EDIT: okay fine we’ll do the cover shot, memory is a little fuzzy but I’m pretty sure I remember how it goes, ready?

IMG_5492.jpeg IMG_5493.jpeg IMG_5494.jpeg

Just no pleasin’ some people.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
    • Like Like x 5
  9. RetroEnbyRobot

RetroEnbyRobot Robobobobobobo?

Know its been mentioned - but love that in the name of accuracy he has an autobot logo to match the animation error.

Do any other figures have that to anyone's knowledge? Intentionally referencing animation errors in the name of accuracy or otherwise?

10. OptimusTarzan

OptimusTarzan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Idk under why toy designers have to follow animation errors?

• Like Like x 1
  11. omegafix

omegafix Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    Battle damage removed!

thumbnails.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  12. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd imagine for Studio Series they would probably try to. The main goal of the line appears to be "looks as close as possible to the bot on the screen".

• Like Like x 3
  13. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    upload_2024-4-20_14-48-31.png

14. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I assume IPA and elbow grease? Any issues removing it or areas that were more difficult than others?

15. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love Shockwave in general and have ended up with more versions of him than I thought I would ever have.

But this one, I don't feel it at all. The gun/blaster is just wrong looking and looks tiny for the tank. His proportions seem weird to me, too squished or such.

He doesn't look bad, but just not great, and just doesn't appeal enough to add it to my Shockwave army. With the gun being small, the repeated mention of his articulation being an issue, he's a fairly easy skip.

16. omegafix

omegafix Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    Theres areas that have bits of paint but they are easy to avoid. The chest has that piece of clear plastic in the center. I popped out the pin that holds the chest on. Then i popped the clear chest piece into the chest cavity making it easy to avoid during the removal

Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  17. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom MadameVixen

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    "Destroy the launchpad, Let none escape"
    20240420_201758.png

• Like Like x 4
  18. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Think most people preferred the Hasbro version of Bruticus, but we loved Unite Warriors for doing this with Blast Off. The cartoon mistook his eyes for part of the face and the crest for eyes somehow? Doing it 1:1 might have come off too weird but they imo tastefully nodded to it by painting the crest pink but painting the eyes a different shade of silver to the gunmetal face so it can read as eyes or as the face depending how you approach it. Usually not so big on Sunbow accuracy that it "compromises" a figure but I think they did it in a way that is cute and unique with Blast Off. Cannot think of any other notable examples

Usually an animation "error" is something briefly seen on screen (incorrect deco/scale/faction logo) unlike Shockwave always having the Autobot logo or Blast Off never having proper eyes so it would not have a place in Studio Series. Some errors have been replicated just for using incorrect references, often fan-decod models but think they got better about that after the first year of Studio Series 86. Even went out of their way to redo Kup despite not really needing a reissue.

• Like Like x 3
  19. RetroEnbyRobot

RetroEnbyRobot Robobobobobobo?

Thanks for the help, didn't know about Blast Off but I love that detail!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Nemesisprime1975

Nemesisprime1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes it is. In my head canon shockwave used to be an autobot but went over to the cons.