Studio Series 86 Voyager Wreck-Gar

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Seamus McLame, Aug 1, 2021.

1. Dachande

Dachande Janitor. Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My copy has two of the thicker wheels and they roll just fine.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Racer_J

Racer_J Permanently logged out . . .

Without the legs being spread out?

3. Dachande

News Credits:
    Nope, they look normal.
    20211009_160932.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. Racer_J

It could be the angle but, it looks like the the hips are angled out a bit. That's what the wider rim/tire caused on my first copy along with trying to separate the leg from the hip at the mushroom peg. I could still tab the feet in but, the rest of the legs would be angled out away from the alt mode. It felt like an odd amount of tension until I saw the posts in this thread about the different sized rims/tires and realized my second copy had 2 of the thinner rims/tires and didn't require the force/pressure that the first copy had.

5. Dachande

News Credits:
    In looking at it from the back, the legs are very, very slightly angled outward. Doesn't look bad at all and also doesn't inhibit the tire spin.

6. Racer_J

My first copy didn't like to stay in-between the hips side lateral "steps". For clarity, they weren't out that far (to the first "step") in alt mode but I could feel them constantly trying to "pop/snap" to that position and the angle was pretty noticeable. It didn't help that one of the legs' thigh swivel mushroom joints didn't want to stay in. I wish I had tried the wider rim/tire on my second copy but, I didn't know that was a thing.

It looks like the wider hub will prevent rub since the hub can't sink as far into the knees as the shorter hub. The cost of doing so will be the hips being angled out but that's going to be YMMV on how much it's noticed, angled out, and the tension involved.

It's too bad the rim/tire can't be easily disassembled, I' super curious about what they look like internally as I would prefer a wider hub swap into one of my thinner rims/tires rather than trying to rig spacers and extenders on a shorter hub.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Dachande

News Credits:
    Truth be told, until this discussion I didn't even notice the slight outward bend and I've had the figure for a while now.

• Like Like x 2
  8. TyrantGalvatron

TyrantGalvatron Hasbro is NOT your enemy.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I got to handle one of these today.

SS86 Wreck Gar is another one in the line that is So. Damn. Close. To. Being. Perfect.

And then the hip ratchets showed their ugly head. This figure has the same problem as Titans Return Fortress Maximus.

The hip ratchets are spaced incorrectly. So either he's standing straight up stiff-legged like a soldier at attention or his legs are too far apart. There should've been some more ratchets in between the two.

I'll be able to handle him more once my own personal copy arrives. I'm sure he'll grow on me alot. But for right now, that's a big disappointment w/the articulation of the legs.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Racer_J

Honestly I might not have noticed it either if I wasn't trying to keep the thigh swivel mushroom peg connected (for clarity, it came off pretty easy in robot mode but it wouldn't stay in for the alt mode). That set of an entirely different level of observation which resulted in my opinion going from maybe they are supposed to angle out to something is wrong. If only SS86 Wreck-Gar had skipped leg day . . .

• Like Like x 1
  10. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    I also put the wider wheel in the rear and it spins just fine.

• Like Like x 2
  11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    That really isn’t even something I’ve noticed. Wreck Gar usually stands in a wide crouch and I haven’t happened across any poses where the ratchets got in the way.

• Like Like x 3
  12. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Even then, the minimum click is pretty much right where I tend to go for an A-stance, anyways, so I don't even notice it. Doesn't feel too wide at all.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, those look splayed out ever so slightly which is what we’re talking about. It works but just not as well as the skinnier wheel in that position.

And yes, mine sounds fine in either position. It’s just that the extra width keeps the front aligned better while the reduced width keeps the rear aligned better. Also like I posted earlier this is backward to how the pegs fit the holes best.

14. Dachande

News Credits:
    I guess it just never bothered me at all, so I didn't notice anything different. Assembled and worked perfectly fine, so that's how it looked to be correct.

15. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well perfect does seem to be the enemy of pretty good around here, lol. To your point it’s not that big of a deal, just a little oddity.

16. heltskelt

heltskelt Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Just got him today from Amazon. Transformed him with the wide wheel on the back first and didn’t look quite right. Switched wheels and it seems as if that were the intended order. I don’t mind. You can’t really tell the difference in the width once it is in alt mode. Great figure.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Reichstein

Reichstein Well-Known Member

I got annoyed at this guy's extra wide stance so I popped the pins out of his hips and trimmed the notch that gives it it's ratchet function.
    The pins are textured at the front (at least on my copy), so it's best to push them from the back.

I think it's an improvement. He can now have his legs at any angle, not just the "steps" of the ratchet joint.
    The transformation has not been negatively impacted. It's actually a little easier to get the rear wheel in. Once everything is pegged in it's just as solid as before.

The hips hold a pose just fine like this, but are a little on the loose side, so I may add some future or superglue to tighten it up slightly at some point.

Now he doesn't look like he's been riding a horse all day :) 
    IMG_20211012_221632 (Medium).jpg

• Like Like x 3
  18. newmanium

newmanium Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I found the same to be true with my two copies.

19. TyrantGalvatron

TyrantGalvatron Hasbro is NOT your enemy.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Now that I've had the chance to handle my copy of Wreck Gar, I've currently come to the conclusion that he's *almost* a phenomenal figure. Almost.

The hip ratchets being so far apart knock the enjoyment of posing him down a few notches. If only they would've put a couple more ratchets in there so he doesn't just jump from straight legged directly to wide stance with nothing in between. Or maybe they could've just done without the ratchets at all?

Realistically, no matter the manufacturer, no figure is without it's flaws. But, IMO Studio Series 86 Wreck Gar came as close as I can ever remember to being an absolutely perfect figure.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Reichstein

Reichstein Well-Known Member

I agree that the hip ratchets are annoying, but it's a really easy issue to fix.

I popped the pins out of mine and shaved down the catch for the ratchet inside both hips. Did it in under 2 minutes.

I have added a little future to the joints to tighten them up a bit, but they held a pose just fine without it.