Studio Series '86 Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by barry, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Studio Series evolved out of TLK Premier Edition, it wasn't "main line" itself.

It's like this. Studio Series figures cost Hasbro more to make. I'm reasonably confident of this due to the licensing fees. That money comes from somewhere, and they don't license anything in the mainline, so it follows that SS has a line item in the budget specifically for licensing that the mainline figures' budget doesn't have. Mainline figures are cheaper to make, Hasbro makes more profit on them, they all cost the same to us consumers so we don't notice any difference but the difference has to be there.

2. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Wfc Bumblebee (in a subline of the mainline) is a licensed VW Beetle, so things in the mainline can be licensed

• Like Like x 4
  3. LoranBasaraEvin

LoranBasaraEvin Gunpla Grump

It's literally just what they did in 2010/2011 with Generations and Reveal the Shield: "Quick! Shuffle the G1 guys into the live-action line so we can get more product out!"

Which I'm seriously ok with.

• Like Like x 11
  4. Ikkstakk

News Credits:
    There's hinky stuff going on there. Maybe they made an exception somehow. If they have money in the budget to license mainline figures then why don't they? The ER Datsuns could have been legit Datsuns. Wheeljack could have been a real Lancia. The value in getting licensing deals outweighs the hassle. If it didn't, they'd never license anything. I think they did it with Bumblebee because the Beetle is iconic, the engineering was already developed for Cliffjumper, and they have a relationship with Volkswagen from the films. But as a rule, the mainline budget doesn't allow for licensing, or we'd see it all the time.

5. BBJazz

BBJazz Well-Endowed Member

The ER matrix is already evidence that they're willing to reuse molds between the lines.

6. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If there's one tooling difference between Studio Series Coronation Starscream and Earthrise aside from maybe toning down the detailing, I'd imagine it being eliminating the weird bar over his cockpit and adding some love handle side gap fillers for stability.

They might up the size of his pec intakes and make his head smaller since he actually had a different character model in that scene. Maybe give him ER Optimus style opening hands so he can gesture properly since the iconic images of Starscream's coronation have him with open hands.

I suspect if there's a major deco change, they'd lean into making it more pearl/metallic colors. That might generally be a good approach to bringing ER figures into TFTM because a major aspect of TFTM generally was that the Transformers were extra shiny in the movie.

ER Optimus with a candy pearl red and some of his 5mm ports tooled out would be cool. I think his legs should stay metallic, not flat white, but more of a platinum color than a gray. Think less gray and more pearl/metallic light silver.

In line with the metallic orange used on 25th/Platinum Unicron.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    If it's the latter I might buy him, but then I would also need a fitting Thundercracker, Skywarp and Ghost Starscream ^^ until then I'm perfectly fine with my Transformers United Seekers: Aces and Henkei Ghost Starscream.

8. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    But it's still an example of a licensed alt mode in the main line. Sure they're incredibly rare, but it proves that it can happen. And on the point of SS evolving out of TLK premier edition, that's irrelevant. It's still figures from a different line being used in studio series. Sure, nothing from the main Generations line has been used in SS yet, but we also haven't had G1 figures in SS yet either.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Nickster563

Nickster563 Anymore questions you wanna ask?

News Credits:
    Any word on a SS86 Blaster in the future?

• Like Like x 4
  10. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    I almost had a thought that since the Transformers Movie released around August 1986, I thought what if the next wave won't be till then, but then that didn't make sense.

11. Effigy

Effigy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    2 reasons: 1) because Kingdom is mostly for Beast Wars, so there's no room on the schedule for G1. There's speculation that the only reason Hasbro was cool with doing BW instead of G1 is because they figured out the '86 movie loophole and 2) Kingdom is cool, but it's not slavishly movie accurate like SS tries to be.

Anyway, I'm not saying I'm rooting for either way, I just want cool figures, I love both the SS bayverse figures and G1, so whatever they make I'm probably buying, I'm just saying the initial asertment that there could only be 11 86 figures isn't accurate, they can (and I think will) go far beyond that.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Apollux

Apollux Turbomaster - Former Leaker

Ebay:
    Just saw the Instructions for SS86 Wreck-Gar.

He looks amazing, a bit of a pointy guy though!

Great robot mode, bit of cheeky parts-forming but at least with Junkions there's precedent. (Wheels remove to become shields, his axe weapon's no longer part of the axle it just gets stored on the back of the bike).

Alt-mode looks great too, man I really wasn't planning on replacing my Chug version.

Might have to find a replacement head for the old one, and then he can ride Wreck-Gar :) 

• Like Like x 48
  13. Q Prime

Q Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cool! Is he a deluxe or a voyager?
    Altogether that brings us to:
    Deluxe;
    Kup
    Blurr
    Gnaw
    Jazz
    Wreck Gar?
    Voyager;
    Hot Rod
    Scourge
    Leader;
    Grimlock
    Slag

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Riddler87

Riddler87 semi-retired transformers collector

Isn't there a Jazz coming out in SS86 too?

• Like Like x 2
  15. Q Prime

Q Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks! I'll edit the post.

• Like Like x 3
  16. lord ginrai

lord ginrai D-list Decepticon

News Credits:
    Whoah! Awesome to have confirmation on Wreck-Gar! Thanks!

• Like Like x 3
  17. BBJazz

BBJazz Well-Endowed Member

Thanks for the update!

I'm not sure if I'd be into a new Wreck Gar to be honest. It would have to be reeeeeally good to replace the old one, considering I never really liked the character too much to begin with.

You'd tell us if you had heard anything about Blaster and his cassettes in this line, right? :oops: 

18. Ikkstakk

News Credits:
    I think Wreck-Gar must be a Voyager, the last three have been a Legends and two Deluxes.

• Like Like x 1
  19. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
  20. darthschroeder

darthschroeder Macro-Con

Loving the size of that Grimlock. Does it include the sword accessory? Can't quite make out the details in the photo, but I think I see Wheelie in there?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020