Studio Series '86 Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by barry, Jul 11, 2020.

1. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    As the other thread that shin started is a more general discussion thread about the '86 line (and it's implications for the focus of the Studio Series), I thought it might be useful to have a more focused speculation thread.

Thanks to @Jtprime17 we've now had listings for a Leader Class Grimlock (that comes with Wheelie) and Deluxes for Gnaw, Kup, Jazz, and Blurr.

There are also rumours for a Voyager Class Hot Rod and Scourge and a Leader Class Slag.

It's very interesting to see Jazz get listed, as that opens up the door for pre-Movie 'bots that had some screentime in the movie, such as Blaster, Perceptor, the Insecticons, and maybe (very far fetched hopes) the Constructicons. Arguably, the Grimlock listing already kicked that door wide open, but my counter would be that Grimlock was featured way more than the likes of Jazz.

And, if the rumours prove to be correct, very cool to see the sort of accessories they're coming with. Enegeron goodies for Kup, Visor and saw for Hot Rod, and Daniel will come with Slag.

As these listings are coming alongside Bayverse Studio Series listings it would appear this isn't 'taking over' Studio Series but running concurrently. I'd hazard a guess we'd get 50/50. But when you get down to how many Dekuxes, Voyagers, and Leaders 50% of the line amounts to I'm not perfectly clear.

So who else do we think is likely to turn up. We've seen the figure for Cyclonusm though there's much debate about whether he's part of this line or part of Earthrise. Galvatron has got to come, and it'd be madness for him not to be part of a line that's all about the Movie. But then he's shown up on the Earthrise boxart...

And what about those characters that have never had toys. Might we see Kranix and Arbulus? Perhaps a Quint Executioner and Prosecutor?

And then there are the dreaded questions of scale. the holy scale chart, rather unhelpfully, show's a hunched Wreck-Gar. Stood at full height he'd be of a height with Springer. Could he be a tall Deluxe or is Voyager the only way to go? Similarly, Galvatron is only a hair taller than Megatron, but has a much bulkier silhouette (and more complex alt mode, being a triple changer). I can't help but think he'd a Leader class 'product'.

Let the speculation commence!

• Like Like x 15
  2. Prescient

Prescient Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They will be doing the full cast and will cover figures currently appearing in mainline WfC like optimus, magnus, arcee etc once they have cleared through the related WfC season.

The sucess metrics of Studio Series have shown the chug/generations weren't a strong enough brand against competition.

Whilst at the moment it's theatrical, longer term it's being structured like SW Black & Marvel Legends so will cross into other genres like Unicron Trilogy and the armada optimus will be ending up there.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Is the Studio Series a better seller than chug/generations? Has this been stated for a fact anywhere?

• Like Like x 3
  4. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd love to see..

Leader Blaster with 4 cassettes
    Larger Deluxe Perceptor
    Anything Quintesson related
    Deluxe Kranix/Arbulus
    Voyager Wreck-Gar as a large Deluxe but with alternate parts for other Junkion builds
    The rest of the Dinobots at Leader scale somehow

I left out characters that have either been leaked or rumored.

• Like Like x 2
  5. R3M1NGT0N

R3M1NGT0N Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I’m trying to wrap my head around a voyager Hot Rod and how that would work. He could easily be a deluxe, unless they’re trying what they did with MP Rodimus and doing a two in one. Though even then I can’t picture Rodimus being anything other than a leader. I’m also thinking of possible rereleases of Springer and Magnus, with Magnus having an earth mode.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Bob Schoonover

Bob Schoonover Poorly-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here's my abbreviated thoughts from the double secret speculation thread:

1. We'll see some splitting of groups (Dinobots, Junkions, maybe Insecticons) and look alikes (Hot Rod obviously, but maybe also splitting amongst vehicle types, eg Blaster and Soundwave) betwixt WFC3 and SS86. This would formally split the similar looking figures by line (so there aren't somewhat indistinct to the layman Dinobots on all the shelves).

2. Both lines will have some headliners. Given who has leaked for SS86 so far, I'm pretty convinced we'll see Galvatron in WFC (along with the rumored Rodimus Prime).

3. Selects and Fan Channel will give us multiple iterations of Junkions and maybe new heads for Sweeps

4. Fans (@barry ) will be upset about item 1

• Like Like x 8
  7. butz

butz slippery when wet

I could see a Starscream in coronation gear happening. They like releasing lots of Starscream figures, so this could be how they justify another one, despite the ER release.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm thinking that Voyager Hot Rod is going to be Deluxe-sized, but come with a Voyager-sized parts count to allow for all the extras and accessories like the saw blade hand and maybe the lasso. What I'm not looking forward to is the screaming from fans "paying a Voyager price for a Deluxe."

I may have suggested in the other thread but I'll say it here too: Studio Series Insecticons who get retooled into Deluxe Insecticons who then go to Kingdom.

I'm going to guess not in Studio Series, but very possibly in Kingdom. I think the rule of thumb will be screen-accuracy = Studio Series, non-screen-accuracy = Kingdom. All of those guys will be given alt modes just like the Judge, rendering them non-screen-accurate (yes I know the Lithones have alt modes, but they weren't seen on screen, don't @ me).

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  9. LSyd

LSyd Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anime-colored releases, like MP+ but smaller and cheaper

-

• Like Like x 1
  10. butz

butz slippery when wet

Needs to have his fishing pole too.

• Like Like x 4
  11. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Just to clarify, is that speculation or something you've heard from an official source?

I'd sign off on all of this, particularly a Leader class Blaster with a cassette or two (I think four is a budget killer). I'd hope we might get some of the other Junkion body types in Selects or suchlike. Maybe they're next year's Seeker?

0. Why wasn't I included in this double-secret speculation thread? It's because you think me loose-lipped, isn't it?
    1. I suspect we're not going to see any Dinobots outside of SS and I'm beginning to doubt we'll see the Insectiocons in 2021. But I agree that splitting similiar looking bots along different lines, with very different packaging, is a sound strategy that I can see Hasbro leaning into.
    2. I agree. I still think the odds are good in seeing Galvatron in SS, but I definitely agree with the broader point.
    3. They bloody better.
    4. I suspect I might be more upset if we don't get enough of any of the mentioned groups to require splitting them up. I'd sooner suffer cognitive dissonance than only have two Dinobots that scale correctly.

I foresee the same
    I foresee the same

Interesting. I don't agree, but interesting.

Ok, here's my list so we can all come back and laugh at me later. I'm going to assume 50%= 8 Deluxes, 4 Voyagers, and 3 Leaders.

Deluxe: Jazz, Kup, Blurr, Gnaw, Perceptor, Kranix, Quint Executioner, Quint Prosecutor
    Voyager: Hot Rod, Scourge, Wreck-Gar, Blaster
    Leader: Grimlock (with Wheelie) Slag (with Daniel) Galvatron (with Spike)

• Like Like x 4
  12. weevil

weevil The Visitor

News Credits:
    I guess mysterious Cyclonus figure will be a part of Studio series.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Prescient

Prescient Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You guys know I never reveal my source, but then I'm never wrong... ;) :cool: 

14. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I didn't actually know either of those things, but I'll take that as 'source, not speculation'. Very interesting.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Danforth

Danforth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Leader class Dinobots is an interesting rumour (I was already aware of rumoured leader-class Grimlock but not Slag). I'd want my dinos to loom over my carbots because that's how I roll :) 

• Like Like x 5
  16. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Studio Series is a Generations brand.

As for whether it's the better selling Generations line compared to the original trilogies, it's not surprising that a nostalgia brand generates more enthusiasm around accuracy than play pattern gimmicks.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    It just seems strange Hasbro would plough ahead with WFC in that case, given how they binned the underperforming TR Box Sets and dropped POTP like a hot potato.
    Yes, I didn't say it wasn't but in a query about how two different Generations sub-lines are performing in comparison to each other, emphasising the differentiation makes for a clearer query. Way to punch a straw man.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  18. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    If they do Ultra Magnus in SS it'd be cool to see him have his toy feature where the core robot combines with the car carrier armor but with how they're going for more screen accuracy here I have a feeling that they won't do that but who knows? They can surprise us.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    If they do all of the Dinobots I would cry of happiness.

Gross!

• Like Like x 3
  20. drmick

drmick Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Leader class Slag was rumoured to come with Daniel. So it will be interesting to see how they package these bigger Dinobots at the Leader class pricepoint.

• Like Like x 1