Studio Series 86 Revealed

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by seton, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Venomus Rodimus

Venomus Rodimus Well-Known Member

This guy drives me to drink.

2. WheeljackDude

WheeljackDude Well-Known Member

Just saw the gallery for the Japanese TakaraTomy stock images for Meister, Hot Rodimus, and Chear (the Japanese names for Jazz, Hot Rod, and Kup respectively)...

3. Fc203

Fc203 Jazz is a Pontiac not a Porsche

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Looks like he'll be the height of foc grimlock

4. TheSuperion

TheSuperion No am Bishoujo!

I was incredibly confused about this too, when the toy was first revealed. But then someone here pointed out that, like Earthrise Hoist, the kibble is there solely to be more accurate to the animation model.

[​IMG]

I'm not exactly a fan of it - and the kibble is also a bit bigger than it should have been - but it's not a product of laziness and/or budget cuts. It's a 100 percent intentional design decision for the sake of slavish accuracy to the movie design.

I'd probably still get it to replace my TR Blurr though, if it wasn't for the fact that my collection is IDW focused, and I picked up the Generations 1.0 IDW-inspired Blurr some time ago. The arm kibble is honestly the only issue I have, and it wouldn't be a dealbreaker. I don't even mind the facial sculpt.

And between that, and the fact that I'm finally warming up to Kup, SS '86 is batting 6 for 6 thus far. Not a single dud in the entire first wave. And I'm interested in all of them apart from Blurr - though only Jazz and Scourge are absolute must-haves for me ATM. Regardless, the leakers were not kidding when they said this line would make the Masterpiece line obsolete. I see no reason to start collecting MP figures at this point, even I had all the money in the world. Cause after two tries, the MP team still can't even get ol' Rodster right - and meanwhile, the Generations/SS team is nailing every single character from the movie over the span of just a few short years.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  5. lord ginrai

lord ginrai D-list Decepticon

News Credits:
    It amuses me that the G1 toy handled the arm kibble better than this brand new SS one does.

Char* :) 
    Meister and Hot Rodimus look terrific, hey!

6. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    Blurr\'s face looks as bad as Kup\'s to me. Neither look like the cartoon or toys, IMO.  Let\'s hope a 3P version for both is incoming!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Shockwave81

Shockwave81 Protecting Cybertron from all hostile threats Moderator

News Credits:
    Thread cleaned of all discussion regarding reviewers - please remain on topic about the figures themselves. :) 

• Like Like x 3
  8. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In-Stock

News Credits:
    I don’t need all the SS86 figures. I will pass on this Blurrr (and Kup), and will wait on Hot Rod in favor of Rodimus Prime most likely.

Cannot skip Grimlock, Scourge, Cyclonus, Jazz, and Galvatron.

Wish I had Takara LG25 Blurrr instead of that hideous color Hasbro TR version.

9. NewDawn

NewDawn Banned

I honestly thought MP-08 was taller, but when @Phamduc posted the pictures, I was starting to question my previous chart. I was honestly a bit too hopeful for the size, but upon looking at the pictures a bit closer, and going back to my previous, previous chart, I think I have the finalized version. I had based Grimlock's height off of Jazz, whose relative scaling was done using the South Korea leak, in which Grimlock's lower legs came up to just under Jazz's chest.

2021 looks to be on the bright side.
    20201105_212114.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  10. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

My problem with this argument is that it is NOT slavish to the movie design. The cartoon had extensions off the back of the arm. The arms didn't have giant sleeve cuffs dangling from the wrists. Either way they are choosing to sacrifice the cartoon aesthetic. Go with the one that gives less kibble.

11. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    This is supppsed to be the "wow" moment but for me this is where these figures fall apart, it's like they've got a computer composing music. Everything is technically right but the sum is completely lacking. The Blurr animation model looks like a runner. He's got a sleek and agile upper half that looks tight and athletic vs the long legs and exaggerated feet. When he has the literal blur effect in the movie, I totally believe it. He doesn't even move tremendously fast in the movie proper, it's more like getting from one place to another is just so trivial and meaningless to him.

The toy's obsession with just recreating the literal details and dimensions of the animation with no consideration for medium give the exact opposite effect. He's too wide in the upper body, the shoulders are too low, the legs and feet are too skinny. And my god the face.

All it takes for the animation model is the slight forward cocking of that one hand and it looks like he's ready to take off, it's just conveyed so readily. The toy looks slow, wimpy, more like a guard type than a courier. It's a trace with no depth, a game of telephone. This is why I'm not a fan of the deep media-accuracy toys, not because the designs they stem from are bad, but because the toys can never hope to recreate a good design after crossing such a massive medium gap.

• Like Like x 7
  12. ShadowOfSilver

ShadowOfSilver Element 47

Ebay:
    I find it strange how the face is technically "correct" yet I can't see into those dead eyes without feeling a little creeped out.

• Like Like x 1
  13. breaux man

breaux man I'm Me

14. BombSquad

BombSquad Commander Broadside Proponent

News Credits:
    The more I look at SS86 Blurr and Kup, the more I'm reminded of 3p Masterpiece figures. Sure they're on model, but there's just something missing.

• Like Like x 6
  15. 2Sixshot

2Sixshot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wonder if you can take the arms of tr and just replace the ss with them?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    LOL so it's "demanding" to want to see the most obvious fucking comparison people want to see for this figure?

You're happy with the pics we already have, great. Go have a pie or something and let me live. I already told you that I can see separate pictures of them. I'm looking at my Blurr right now. I want to see them next to each other, in the same lighting, the same way people do comparisions of Earthrise and Seige Prowl and Ironhide. And don't act like this was some old-ass toy... it came out like two years ago.

17. HardCase44

HardCase44 Well-Known Member

Yeah, hoping for the same the same. No excuse why they couldn’t get the face sculpts right overall.

• Like Like x 5
  18. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 XYxInfinity

News Credits:
    Aside from Mixmaster's cab, the entiire UW Devstar could stand in for the SS86line. Any takers for a resculpted Mixmaster cab then?

19. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Hasbro keeps killing it.

20. Prime Aspect

Prime Aspect Visual Synthesis Engineer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That is what a loud segment of the fans have been asking for. Is any surprise that Hasbro gave it to them? I personally prefer toys that make the most of the current toy tech and improve on the original designs rather than slavishly copy the often oversimplified animation models.

• Like Like x 5