Studio Series '86 Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by barry, Sep 14, 2020.

1. waflhaus91

waflhaus91 Co-wisest person at TFW, as proclaimed by barry.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Tumblr:
    Well shit, guess I'm a Studio Series collector now.

• Like Like x 14
  2. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    same here

• Like Like x 10
  3. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Trying to achieve something

News Credits:
    Ditto

• Like Like x 3
  4. WeVoCoN

WeVoCoN Well-Known Member

Yeah. Wow, this line is becoming something I never knew I wanted. I haven’t been a fan of SS in the past. I appreciated seige and earthrise, but other than Thundercracker, there wasn’t any figures that couldn’t wait until Ross/TJMaxx. Just when I thought the Joes were going to pull me away entirely, SS86 reminds me that I must make preparations for the Chaos Bringer’s arrival.

5. Bluetigatron

Bluetigatron sickass robot and kickass mecha fan

Instagram:
    Wheelie comes with grimlock I believe, he's a non transforming figure I think

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Blurr has been mentioned as well and a non transforming wheelie is coming with grimlock

• Like Like x 1
  7. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Galvatron, Cyclonus, Rodimus Prime, and Ultra Magnus are in Kingdom, not Studio Series.

Sharkticon Gnaw will be in Studio Series though.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ShylockZeuss

ShylockZeuss Surprise!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I posted these on another thread, but here's some pics of Voyager Hot Rod from TonTon's video. (。•̀ᴗ-)
    IMG_20200921_064834.jpg IMG_20200921_065010.jpg
    IMG_20200921_064759.jpg IMG_20200921_064824.jpg IMG_20200921_064906.jpg IMG_20200921_064923.jpg IMG_20200921_064848.jpg IMG_20200921_064941.jpg IMG_20200921_064957.jpg

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 21
  9. Leemaster777

Leemaster777 Junkion

Ebay:
    Does it seem weird to anyone else that only NOW are we getting non-gimmicked, non-stylized Dinobots? Like... we've had a couple Grimlocks over the years, but aside from the Masterpiece, all of them came with massive asterisks.

The Classics one was too small, and basically a raptor. The Fall of Cybertron one was based on the game, more than G1. PoTP Grimlock was a combiner torso. And lest we forget Energon and Animated.

We are long, LONG overdue for proper Dinobots. And not just Grimlock, either.

• Like Like x 11
  10. Strife

Strife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There is a good reason for that: Hasbro thought Dinosaur robots were radioactive for a very long time and refused to do them and even allow licensees to do stuff with them. They didn't want to get near them. The end of Beast Wars and success of the car centric series after convinced them that "Beast Formers" were generally something to avoid. They also thought kids didn't care about Dinosaurs anymore (which is just stupid). The RotF script originally included Grimlock. Hasbro vetoed it. To make matters worse, the Dinobot figures as part of Transformers Animated badly shelfwarmed and the Dinobots got the blame for it. High Moon Studios originally wanted to include the Dinobots in War for Cybertron. TThey got told no, and they were only included on the "Cybertron Adventures" game for Wii. High Moon finally convinced Hasbro to let them feature the Dinobots in Fall of Cybertron... which took a lot of of convincing on their part. But Hasbro was still only convinced to the point they made a figure exclusively of FOC Grimlock and ignored all the rest. Michael Bay finally prevailed upon them to make the Dinobots a core part of Age of Exintinction, and the sucess of that basically opened the door up. That's when we saw Grimlock in Transformers RID2015. And then of course, PotP, Cyberverse, new mobile games and they'd been normalized.

The FOC retrospective has a lot more on Hasbro's hostility to Dinosaur Transformers.

The short of it is, is that it took a lot to convince Hasbro that kids cared about beast robots in general, and dinosaur robots in particular, and the lead in time of new produces (2 years) is such that we've only seen the change in Power of the Primes, , which believe it or not, is still "just" a line and a half old.

Another angle, less so for Hasbro and more as a fan, is that with main lines having around 4 Leader class releases for 12 months, the Dinobots are hard to fit in unless you do them at Voyager class. Studio Series 86 is a logical place to fix that.

That moment when a voyager price point figure (he's scaled to deluxe but the engineering complexity and accessories are making him a $30 figure) has better engineering than a Masterpiece.

Watching the video there are so many "oh my god that's so obviously smart" moments in it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  11. TotalMackerel

TotalMackerel Well-Known Member

Yeah I think I said "oh wow" out loud 3 times while watching the video.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

News Credits:
    Me too I think.

P.S Why are there two of these threads?

• Like Like x 1
  13. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

I'm more excited for Studio Series than anything else from Hasbro at the moment. Definitely going to go completionist on this line.

14. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Lord High Governor

News Credits:
    As I said (I think) in the reveal thread for Hot Rod, this is probably the most I've ever been excited for Studio Series. There's been quite a few great additions to the studio series toyline beforehand, including making ones who haven't got proper figures before but it's hard to feel much for them since most of the characters in the films have the same amount of depth that your run of the mill generics have, plus most of them have gotten plenty of figures already from the now 13 year extent of the films influence.

I seriously hope the rest in the 86 sub-line live up to the ones we've already seen, because god damn son.

15. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Because people think we need specific threads for every single topic instead of more generalized threads (for example, appreciation threads for cw, tr, potp, siege, and earthrise despite the fact that they could all go in the chug appreciation thread)

• Like Like x 2
  16. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):

IMHO - CHUG is too broad. I can see CW/TR/POTP under Prime Wars Trilogy, and Siege/ER/Kingdom under War for Cybertron Trilogy.

• Like Like x 2
  17. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    well shit if they went this far to make a deluxe a voyager imagine what the leader to a deluxe will bring to the table when they get around to rodimusprime, i mean you do the 86 movie ya gotta to do the prime

• Like Like x 1
  18. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

News Credits:
    Ah yes... I didn't notice one was appreciation and one was speculation... carry on.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Gotta love misinformation that spreads, buddy just informed me that Hot Rod was going to be a leader class because someone said it was, despite the fact that we have store listings of him as a voyager

• Like Like x 1
  20. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Could it be that they are thinking/talking about the Kingdom Rodimus Prime instead?