Studio Series '86 Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by barry, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Joey_Santana

Joey_Santana Shockwave fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    • Like Like x 3
  2. oturan

oturan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    20210428_022927.jpg

• Like Like x 21
  3. CheggyChonkers

CheggyChonkers Heroic Master of Buying Toys

YouTube:
    Wow, that looks amazing! What did you use for the background?

• Like Like x 1
  4. sk8erboi

sk8erboi Member

SS86 Blaster would be awesome.

• Like Like x 4
  5. depthcharge82

depthcharge82 Maximal

I wonder if there will be an 86 series devastator

• Like Like x 2
  6. Nemesis Baser

Nemesis Baser Rei III is so my mood

News Credits:
    there were plans but he was canned

7. Mung daal

Mung daal Dancing is forbidden

It wouldn't surprise me if they do him in a few years since we're getting a new menasor next year.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    9AA8D88F-7531-48D1-8CA8-CE79B817E8E7.jpeg

I love Scourge, but man, he and Cyclonus make the 1987 Targetmasters look so small.

• Like Like x 16
  9. ldl0021

ldl0021 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    How do I get my hands on the headsculpt #4?...

• Like Like x 1
  10. ghostyurei

ghostyurei Our race was a peaceful one once...

News Credits:
    Upgrade kits arrived today!
    4B0AAB69-BB7B-448A-90FC-DA23E588F9D3.jpeg 12255050-F89A-421F-8D9C-149BB4772A4F.jpeg

• Like Like x 21
  11. breaker2031

breaker2031 Well-Known Member

Google image search "alien planet wallpaper" you'll find some great stuff ;) 

12. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Addendum to my old Kup ramble, which can be found here.

[​IMG]

Will there ever be a Generations Kup that I like unreservedly? Not at this rate, sunshine!

I was actually reasonably excited when I heard we were going to get a new version of Kup that would be, presumably, along the lines of WfC trilogy quality. That excitement was sustained as we saw leaks of a non transformed correctly figure. Then I saw the proper thing in all it’s glory and my heart sank.

There was just so much about this take on the figure that looked wrong to me. Really fundamental stuff, like the shape of his head. and the size of his hands. Like, seriously, why is Kup forever cursed to have big ol’ mittens? It’s almost funny considering how petite the G1 version hands are. And, as if to twist the knife even more, they give him the world’s smallest musket. I know plastic costs more these days, but come on!

I can’t be so flippant about the head. Arguably, it’s an improvement over the totally un-Kup-like TR head, but it still looks wrong. In fact, it suffers the same problem as the rest of his body; it’s just too frigging skinny! His animation model always had him that much stockier. You could believe this was an older dude, still in shape but carrying a little middle-age spread. SS86 looks positively withered by comparison. And don’t take a look at him in profile unless you’re sat down. He is alarmingly thin.

I have two other gripes to cover before I get on to positives. One of the things that was quite lovely about the G1 version was the soft curves of the front of the vehicle as it formed the chest. SS86’s chest looks like it’s been squashed by some sort of press (perhaps that’s why he’s so thin). AND once again I am denied a Kup with the ‘proper’ backpack. He does have one, sure, but it’s flat, panelly, and deeply unattractive.

But despite all that moaning, I can’t dislike this toy. The headsculpt is well done. It’s not like they’ve cut any corners here. This is a very well-detailed and executed head sculpt. It just doesn’t quite look like the character. And, like just about every Generation figure these days, he’s a superbly articulated joy to pose. I don’t think I really appreciated this guy properly until I stuck him in the lightbox and started posing him for photos. The camera does love him.

And there’s one little detail that I totally adore. They’ve given him wheels in the front of his calves. Just like the G1 version!!! Maybe I am a tawdry old slut, but I totally love this detail. It gives me the exact rush of nostalgia that I come for. In fact, some free-floating kibble round the back aside, the legs are weirdly the best part of the toy. and I don’t mean that as a sleight. They’re genuinely very well done. It’s one zinger of an ankle tilt! However, I don’t really have anytime for the silly ‘pull his legs and arms off’ gimmick.

The transformation is incredibly impressive. It’s clever and inventive and surprising in many ways. If you’re the sort of TF fan that delights in those clever moments when you’re fiddling your figure from mode to the other then you’re going to love this guy. It’s just a shame I can’t get behind the actual vehicle mode. It’s not bad, I guess, but it lacks the charm of the G1 version and just looks a little…off. Ever a little flat. Once again I feel some softer curves around the windshield could have made something of a difference.

So, in conclusion, this take on Kup doesn’t suck. It frustrates in a few ways, but perhaps far fewer than the TR version. And that does surprise me a little. I really did feel I’d default back to the TR guy as my CHUG Kup but I think the SS86 version has won out. Nice work, you old charmer!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 18
  13. fatfaso

fatfaso Well-Known Member

Does anyone think they’ll make SS86 Blitzwing? Siege Astrotrain is pretty awesomevand it would be great to see a non-headmaster version of Blitzwing with even better articulation and alt modes.

• Like Like x 7
  14. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    I've seen a few rumours in the news forum that a new Blitzwing will be coming in the post-WfC line, rather than in SS86. I'm expecting him to be the sort of figure that'll go well with the WfC/SS86 aesthetic. There's some uncertainty over what size class he'll be in (Voyager or Leader), but I think he can work well in either as his alt modes aren't quite the stretch that Astrotrain's are, imo.

• Like Like x 5
  15. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    At last!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 21
  16. Mardroid

Mardroid Well-Known Member

Nice. I see you went for the same blade colour as me. (I wanted the red, but with the black hilt. Choice between all red and orange with black hilt, and the latter won for me.) I also opted for tinted chest. I like the tint over the straight transparent but hoping it will be a bit lighter than the original so the Autobot symbol can be easily seen.

My delivery should be this week actually. Might even be today!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Toker

Toker Well-Known Member

Why are there so many Grimlocks holding his sword the wrong way? o_O 

• Like Like x 1
  18. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    "Aren't you a little short for a sto...look, never mind. Just eat this and shut up."[​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  19. svek

svek Well-Known Member

SS86 Grimlock is here! And with upgrade kits (a sword, gap fillers for the feet and teeth for the dino) is just sweet! I think this is my favorite figure from this line so far :) 
    IMG_20210428_140710.jpg
    IMG_20210428_144244.jpg IMG_20210428_161739.jpg
    Hot Rod is a solid 2 because of a small stress mark on his forearm and a tiny paint chip on his face sculpt that appeared after first transformation :( 

• Like Like x 14
  20. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Has anyone been able to remove Blurr's windshield? I want to paint and panel line the white part underneath it. It looks like it's just tabbed on but I can't figure out how to get good enough access to the tabs to release them.