Studio Series 86-05 Voyager Scourge

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ziltama, Dec 5, 2020.

1. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    Third times a charm! Friend of mine found me another Scourge and this one was COMPLETE!

20210325_154748.jpg

Now that I have a complete copy I can now say this is really a great figure. I also love the extra wing span in robot mode. Trying to get the arms tucked in right to fold the wings in was a chore but not too bad.

• Like Like x 4
  2. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

Got Scourge earlier today delivered by Amazon.

Been looking out for the QC issues on this guy mentioned in this thread and the only one I seem to have is the wrist swivel being nonfunctional. I don't know if other people just find it difficult to move, but mine doesn't move at all on either wrist. Which is probably just as well because I'm somewhat leery about his open left hand because of how fragile the thumb looks.

Vehicle mode seems to largely resort to panel massaging and he looks like crap from underneath (par for course, you were never going to sell him from that angle anyway). The middle panels (both sides) has a tendency of not wanting to line up with the rest of the panels and the rear panels like to argue and complain about the arms if you put them in the wrong way. And he's a flying bar of soap-- just like what everyone expected when buying him.

His bot mode is pretty good and his wings are pretty well-replicated in the show model's silhouette as good as you could hope it to be coming from a wrap-around style transformation.

He's really got nothing on Cyclonus, but nobody was ever going to buy Scourge on his own merits anyway. Even if he wasn't perfect he is still definitely Scourge and even if he isn't YOUR Scourge he still makes a decent Sweep (like all Scourges and why every Scourge has its place).

This Scourge is getting Fracas. Don't care if he's the wrong color. Only down side is there's no 5mm peg on the surface of the boat.

3. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Got this guy and core Megatron from Amazon on Friday.

Complaints first, his hands. They're really tight to rotate and given the horror stories and that Scourge isn't one who really needs it, I'm just going to leave them be and not tempt a break.

My copy seems to be a winner. Everything pegs and moves around brilliantly, the transformation is an interesting but effective transformation and both modes work as well as can be expected. While Scourge is growing on me, I will admit, I'm really fond of the TR figure, which feels like a more fun toy. However, I'm glad for the purchase and I like this guy a lot; far more than I was expecting.

If the rumors are true and there's a Sweep figure coming, would I dip again? I honestly don't know.

4. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well I like his sculpt, but damn those upper thigh swivels are garbage on mine and kill the range of the legs.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Neon Prime

Neon Prime Stand for something or fall for everything

Sorry for your frustration.My Scourge finally arrived and the left arm snapped right off the first time I tried to transform him. First time I've ever had that happen with a Transformer. No way I could glue or epoxy weld it so I immediately ordered a new one from Amazon and filed a refund with them. Scourge is a great looking figure in both modes but due to the frailty of the joints, tabs and panels my new one will probably go straight from the box to the shelf.

6. LoserBroadside

LoserBroadside Your ship just came in.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I wonder if we're getting these figures from two completely different factories. It seems like, in terms of the QC problems, a whole bunch will have plastic integrity that snaps with almost no effort, and the other half will have no issues whatsoever. I've seen that on the boards with beast Wars Megatron, Studio Series Jazz, and now Studio Series Scourge. It seems to be about 50/50, massive problems versus completely perfect.

7. BlueAngel_Bolt

BlueAngel_Bolt I'M REALLY FEELING IT

News Credits:
    Got mine from amazon last night and, other than overly tight wrists, he seems solid enough so far.

Definitely not trying to rotate those hands anytime soon though. I can get them to move a TINY bit but the firce required isn't worth the risk

8. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Weve seen that as far back as I can remember for "modern" TFs. Most people seem to agree its at least multiple different molds.

And then there is the idea that each figure "molded" gets assembled as a complete figure. I highly doubt that is true. Im sure that tons of parts trees are puked out, and people cut them from the sprues, and toss them in "Part # X" Bin. If multiple machines batch multiple molds, And they all funnel down to one assembly area so that "Mold A" parts and "Mold B" parts are mixed up, then you could see some truly analytically different found QC issues.

Example, Report of loose joint, that is very tight with every other report. The loose joint only happened because "parts 1, 2 and 7 came from Die A, and Part 3 came from Die B, Resulting is very rare assembly loose issue.

Seen this in a previous industry I worked in. I would still pay $50 to crowdfund a "How its made" for GIJOE and Transformers. I want to see the casting, I wanna see the trimming, assembly, and even packaging would be neat as hell.

• Like Like x 3
  9. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

News Credits:
    73DBFB4B-BA82-4995-B872-5094A595101C.jpeg Got one from Amazon. WTF?

• Like Like x 2
  10. Neon Prime

Neon Prime Stand for something or fall for everything

11. cyberpredicus

cyberpredicus Well-Known Member

That sucks man

12. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

The worst part is that's not even the right cardboard backdrop.

13. Metalwario64

Metalwario64 City Commander

14. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Shlockwave

Shlockwave a.k.a Moronmaster

News Credits:
    Amazon delivered in it's promise last Friday, and now I too, have Scourge the tracker, master of his huntsmen the dreaded Sweeps and notorious Space Soap!
    20210329_110521.jpg
    First, I would like to compliment Hasbro on their outstanding Studio Series 86' line. Prior to this, I had both Generations and TR Scourge, and neither of them really captured his vampire-esque silhouette properly. While the animation model really goes almost full cape/wings with the concept, it really makes the original G1 toy look sad in comparison. Outside of that, perhaps the Generations version was trying to do something with it's Flying V Bomber wings, but It never achieved the full on "Robot Dracula" that this newest offering does.
    20210329_110438.jpg
    Even with the kibble hanging off the back (causing him to be top-heavy) It still works well enough for me to appreciate what was accomplished. The wings were really the make-it-or-break-it for this and any Scourge figure for me.

Lending itself to the aforementioned Dracula aesthetic, Scourge's mug features the non-sensical facial hair that Floro Dery decided robots should have, and I love it. I look at this guy and think "That's Thundercracker?". But yet, it gives him a nice sinister scowl and it reeks fear. 20210329_110508.jpg

While the overall visuals receive high marks from me, I will say his articulation is somewhat hindered by his design.
    20210329_110605.jpg 20210329_110358.jpg
    He can pull off some decent poses, but the torque of his joints are all over the place. His knees on my copy were super stiff, while his hip-swivel-ish parts were loose. I've read about his wrists being exceedingly tight, and while his right wrist is fine, his left will not budge without excessive force. I'm not willing to break his pretty pink nails for that right now. He doesn't feel as frail as SS86 Jazz, but I also don't want to prove myself wrong.

His accessories are his awesome rifle/blaster and the odd blast-effect that it shoots out. 20210329_110618.jpg
    His vehicle mode is perfect (almost). It looks like it flew right out of your TV screen. 20210329_113219.jpg
    20210329_113056.jpg 20210329_113224.jpg

The "almost" perfect remark comes into play regarding his undercarriage. One of his blue cape tips simply will not lay flat without popping up a little, which is mildly irritating. 20210329_113419.jpg

I always found Dery's designs very abstract in concept. What is this supposed to be by human definition? It could be a hovercraft, but it travels through space.

20210329_113310.jpg The oddity is made more weird when Scourge pops out his noggin when he asks Galvatron if he should "gut Ultra Magnus", the most intimidating line ever muttered from the character.

As with most modern day Transformers, there are ports to which you may peg in your guns and weird phallic blast effects in various areas.
    20210329_113239.jpg 20210329_113332.jpg

For me, this is another home run for Studio Series 86'. So far of the three that I have Grimlock ranks the highest, with Scourge at 2nd and Jazz pulling the rear. I can't wait to pair this guy with Cyclonus and the upcoming Galvatron. Rumors say a Sweeps set is possibly happening. I would be curious on how Hasbro intends to differentiate Scourge from his clones, but would laugh so hard if they just simply re-packed him twice in a boxed set. LOL! Here's hoping!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Robots78

Robots78 Robotanist

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Thanks for the suggestion, broseph!

IMG_1822.jpeg

Honestly though, this new one is a replacement for one of my other ones that has messed-up paint on the face, which will be returned to Best Buy (pic from my Instagram story):

Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 2.03.54 PM.png

I think I'm good on Sweeps now. :D 

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  17. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    not just his stache but all over his face is just...messed up.

"Bad Paint Day" is an understantement. he must be one of Scourge's more erm-Special Sweeps.

• Like Like x 1
  18. WinstoBot

WinstoBot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They packed the same error backdrop on mine too. Also from Amazon.

0DBBB9D7-2BD6-427D-9FFB-0E08FA52378C.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  19. WinstoBot

WinstoBot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For the longest time, I couldn’t figure out why SS86 Scourge wasn’t getting the love he seemed to deserve. I mean, he just looks so good. A lot of meh type reactions.

Now I see why. He doesn’t “feel” good. Most of Scourge is made from a very hard and unforgiving plastic. Which means if you don’t turn it the way it’s designed to go, it’s gonna crack or result in a bright stress marks. The biggest design issue are the legs. You can’t do much with the articulation and range, the ankle tilt barely works on mine, super tight thigh swivel even if the joint is there it’s scary to turn it.

The rest of him is fine, I did the wrist fix so the arms are good. No pin length issue here, no scratches. I like the variations you can achieve with the wings. The strength of the figure is it’s presence. It looks like how Scourge should look better than any version before it. My god, that head is just perfect. He’s all menacing looking. He’s what an intimidating villain should look like. I love it. The alt mode looks just as it should. No compromises, it’s an alien robot hovercraft. Transformation and feel if the figure is not exciting but the destination is totally worth it. I’m recommending Scourge on his looks alone.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  20. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But whose backdrop is that?