Studio Series 86-04 Voyager Hot Rod

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ziltama, Dec 4, 2020.

1. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    The TR figure is pretty bad, though. Drawing comparisons to that figure in particular is not going to sway opinions. Do you actually have SS86 Hot Rod in hand? I would also have preferred a closed up back end of the car, but that would have made his robot legs look quite a bit worse. There's also only so much room for fancy paneling.

• Like Like x 5
  2. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    How is it bad, apart from the usual TR loose balljoints? With the joints tightened, I find it one of the most solid versions of Hot Rod, and a very good interpretation of the character.

I haven't found Hot Rod yet. But if they could accomplish a decent back end at the Deluxe level, Hasbro should have been able to manage it at the Voyager, even if it meant slightly less "show accuracy". I'd consider it a fair trade for a car that didn't look like Motormaster rear-ended it. I mean, they already missed the bar for "show accuracy" with the visible cuffs in car mode anyway, so why not make a compromise that actually improves the toy?

But then between Hot Rod and Scourge with the stick out feet, it seems "show accuracy" only matters for the robot. Even if the vehicle is compromised for it.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  3. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    Well, to mirror all the various complaints about TR HR: Doesn't look like G1 Hot Rod most importantly, titan master gimmick, huge shoulders, wonky looking bot mode proportions, yep the lax joints, etc... The various line wide Titan Master gimmicks caused various compromises including weapon kibble that have to hold a titan master, Titan Master head not looking good, the need to create an oversized cab which then throws off the rest of the vehicle shape and proportions, enlarged car kibble in bot mode due to this, etc...

We skipped TR Hot Rod. We did get Legends Hot Rodimus, which tweaked the chest, but redone in worse colors (usually, it's the opposite for Takara decos). We only got him for the Targetmaster.

I get what you're complaining about. Once in hand, though, it's a much different and positive experience with the toy. Some people prefer nicer looking bot modes, some like nicer looking vehicle modes, so that's fine if vehicle is more your preference or concern.

• Like Like x 6
  4. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    With me it's more of a balance. I'd rather have both modes good than one excellent and one compromised. I'm also not a fan of "show accuracy". So to me this guy is an overall good design with a major flaw introduced for the sake of an element I think is a negative in itself. And for me the look of the vehicle matters just as much as the robot.

The only complaint I can agree with about TR is the loose joints. He totally looks like Hot Rod to me, just not slavish to the animation model (which to me a positive). He's got clean lines like Hot Rod should, good deco and a distinctive look which still manages to be unmistakably Hot Rod. The spoiler looks almost exactly like the one from the original toy, which looks far more functional and stable than the animation model's version. I found the TM gimmick fun - I'm not one of the ones who thought the feature should have been limited to the classic Headmasters. The proportions are fine, just not "show accurate". With the joints tightened he's probably the best non MP Hot Rod I've got. And I've got most of the unique molds. It's a great update which beautifully captures the spirit of the character. That's far more fun to me than a point-by-point 3d copy of the animation model.

I don't doubt that this will be a fun figure, but he'll never be my choice to feature in an Autobot convoy.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

That paneling could be attached to the rear roof of the car, folding under it for bot mode.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Warrior King

News Credits:
    Anyone else have really bad stress marks on the saw? I've put it on and off 4 times and the bottom piece is covered in stress marks.

7. TickTockGoesTheClock

TickTockGoesTheClock Dōmo arigatō, Mr Roboto.

I'm starting to get stress marks on the biceps but not the saw yet.

8. Matix218

Matix218 Airplane/helicopter bots are the best bots

I think someone posted that is from tabbing the guns into the saw for weapon storage

9. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Warrior King

News Credits:
    Yeah, I just figured that out.

Do not plug them in, causes mega stress marks.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Seamus McLame

Seamus McLame Well-Known Member

Which part of the biceps?

11. TickTockGoesTheClock

TickTockGoesTheClock Dōmo arigatō, Mr Roboto.

The Bicep Swivel.

12. Seamus McLame

Seamus McLame Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for that on mine.

• Like Like x 1
  13. rego0012

rego0012 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great figure...perhaps a little overpriced for its size, but this is the current definitive hot rod for mainline collections now without question.

14. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    This is a really fantastic figure. I’m gonna need multiples.

One major nitpick:

his neck is too short

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  15. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I’ve owned a lot of Rodimus figures. Animated, Classics, Titans Returns,etc. This is easily the best. The only one close is Animated.

I got mine tonight thanks to a local shop in Ohio called Kidforce Collectibles. It is amazing. The QC on mine is great. The car mode is amazing. The accessories are amazing. The robot is amazing. The transformation is about the best transformation at that size since the WfC video game Optimus. There’s magic here.

Because it’s in my nature to nit pick, my few wishes:

I wish it had pinned wheels. It has clipped wheels and I hate those. Mine rolls well, but I still wish it was pinned.

I wish it was a touch easier to line up the cockpit and arms when transforming. That’s a struggle and I have not gotten it down yet.

Yeah, I wish the yellow spot on top was red.

I wish his arms were out a bit more from his body when in robot mode. He has a tall yet stocky build and some arm clearance out would make him look more lanky.

That’s it. And I can live with all of that. He’s an amazing figure.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    This is a great figure but I’m not so sure anyone on the fence will pay $30 to figure that out. I got this and while I like it a lot(despite hating Hot Rod my 1st time watching the movie back in the day), yes I definitely get the feeling I’m paying $30 for a deluxe with more accessories. I feel that Hasbro marketing thought this would sell regardless due to the 35th anniversary of the movie and being Hot Rod. I think $24.99 for this as a one-off celebratory release would’ve been more fitting.

I’ll start with the bad. Some of the main joints are looser out of the box than expected. I’ve had loose joints out the box before, but rarely with WFC figures in recent years. Not a good sign for things down the line(in fact my MP-28 was like this too). Luckily some joints are on screws, however some are on rivets, so it may be a challenge to tighten later. Take into account, this is physically a deluxe figure so you have less room/plastic to work with. Do the added accessories fluff this enough to justify a $10 increase over a deluxe? To me it doesn’t. Yes there’s more upper body articulation here than most WFC deluxes but the joints being looser dampens that improvement.

So onto the good. You get a matrix, light our darkest hour effect part, 2 guns and the saw(and the right arm has that one part that flips out, forgot what it was). You can mount the guns to the hood or roof of the car and the saw on top of their tabs but it feels like it’s bending them. Be careful or just tab 1 gun into the saw instead of both. Full complement of what he used in the movie so we’re good there.

Do you like posing SIEGE Springer due to the leg articulation? If so, you’ll be happy here. Seems like it has the same designer. The shoulder articulation is like POTP Rodimus Prime BUT this has butterfly hinges which mitigates the weird look POTP Rodimus Prime had with arms up and lends itself very well to weapon wielding and matrix holding poses.

The transformation is very impressive due to how compact the car becomes. It’s a more involved transformation compared to other WFC deluxes. It’s not hard, just be careful with clearance and due to the size and small hinges. There’s more rotating than you might expect and a high chance of parts running into each other.

At $24.99 I would recommend this SS Hot Rod but not at full price. I think you’ll be pleased if you get it on sale. I think if you were on the fence on any mainline Hot Rod, you’d be better off skipping them all and getting this. The only things Classics Hot Rod had IMO are tighter joints and possibly better tampo print. Meanwhile POTP Hot Rod looked more like a kids toy compared to this and had a simpler look due to its combining gimmick. This SS Hot Rod has better articulation than both and a much more impressive transformation. If you’re not an MP collector and wanted a good, fully articulated mainline Hot Rod since 1986, you finally got it.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord, Botbot Collector

This is the best Main Line Hot Rod we’ve gotten to date......bring in Rodimus Prime

(And where’s that Metal Squid? I’m waiting for that to come out)

any takers on if Selects would use this Mold for SG Hot Rod?

• Like Like x 1
  18. bacems

bacems Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    YouTube:
    If they do SG, i'm in.

• Like Like x 2
  19. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Has anyone else had trouble getting the passenger (right) side arm and roof panels to line up? Mine won't stay together and leaves a pretty ugly gap on that side of the car mode. It seems like maybe the peg is too thin because the one on the other side seems to hold snuggly and this one doesn't at all, but I'm not sure if there's something else I can do to make it line up better.

20. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I’m able to massage everything together. My first transformation looked gappy, but eventually I got there. Those shoulder joints are tight but work out.