Studio Series 86-04 Voyager Hot Rod

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ziltama, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hit dogs holler

Very good likeness of the Sunbow animation model, kitted out with bonus features to justify a higher price point, transforms into a solid likeness of the Sunbow animation model, with all the usual weird shit that comes with WFC-era Transformers design: joints that are either too stiff or too loose, millimeter-wide gaps to swing parts through, tabs and slots that aren't up to the work they're being asked to do, and thin, thin, THIN plastic everywhere.

We are now at a point where one or two figures a year have online caveats about breakage points (Hot Rod's pipes, Grapple's pegs, etc) or paint rubs due to whisker-thin tolerances.

I found myself noodling around with Aveo Swerve the other night and the thing that stuck out the most to me was just how THICK the plastic was on TFs a decade or so ago, which made him feel very satisfying in the hand.

If this is what you like, you're gonna love it. As it stands, I appreciate it for what it is, but it also looks like a version of Hot Rod that I don't have any real deep or abiding love for beyond "he looks like the guy who was on TV when I was a kid."

Say what you will about TR Hot Rod, but he wasn't this overly complicated, partially because he didn't have to look Just Like The One On TV.

Like much else out of the current design team, it's a technically proficient piece that hits the nostalgia sweet spot, but is a giant fucking pain in the ass to play with.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Preach Starscream

Preach Starscream Well-Known Member

That's a fair trade. Different figures for different effects.

Gotta disagree there. It is a joy to play with. I love posing him, using all his accessories, and pairing him up with a variety of other figures.

• Like Like x 7
  3. FD3S

FD3S 3rd Generation RX-7

With you on both counts (and the Legends paintjob makes the Titans Return version absolutely POP), though I'll also say that I was fortunate enough to receive a Hot Rod that tabs in properly and hasn't shown any signs of damage at the problematic points; my tune might be significantly different if my luck was a little worse :D 

• Like Like x 1
  4. TyrantGalvatron

TyrantGalvatron Hasbro is NOT your enemy.

News Credits:
    The more I handle this figure, the more amazed I am by it.

The fit, the finish, the quality, the design, the engineering, the articulation and the amount of accessories are all things you would expect from a premium Japanese action figure company.

Handling this figure reminds me of something Mafex would make. It's so smooth and well done that it makes other recently released figures seem as clunky and awkward as an old G1 figure.

I'll gladly pay $30 for these types of figures if this is what Hasbro will be offering us from now on. Comparable (and smaller) figures from Mafex sell for $80-$100.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Nemesisprime1975

Nemesisprime1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A gem of a figure. I didn't think I needed this but man it's like he's straight out of the original tftm.
    I know we are getting a Daniel with slag but surely a version of him should've been with this guy too. It just made more sense to team those up after the opening scenes with them

• Like Like x 3
  6. nemesisconvoy

nemesisconvoy Gundam Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

Am I the only one hoping for an over-sized KO of this figure?!? I love the design and the aesthetic. But its about the size of a key chain...Voyager class, my ass!!!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  7. HAL237

HAL237 Be provocative, be organized

News Credits:
    For real! I wish some 3rd party company would modify and upscale it to MP scale, it could easily compete with the actual MP. Just take a look at the oversized SS-49 Camero Bee that’s releasing soon; it’s easily MPM quality, in terms of looks and engineering.

• Like Like x 4
  8. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer Cognitive ability of a rock

News Credits:
    You could go for the upcoming Rodimus. Quite expensive, but it's about voyager sized and very similar to this Hot Rod

9. nemesisconvoy

nemesisconvoy Gundam Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

The new Rodimus also looks like crap...mass release stuff has gotten smaller and much more expensive. Aside from the rare, exceptional figure, I'm done with mass release. I'll stick with third party!!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. herugrim

herugrim N/A

Ebay:
    So I caved. Figured with Rodimus coming they would make a good pair and the engineering is impressive.

But this guy has serious issues.

The shoulders are too tight, and near as I can tell they only turn one way. Trying the other starts to warp the plastic.

The vehicle mode has plenty of pegs but doesn't hold together too well. You can massage it into a suitable look but it's still bent up in places that should be locked in.

I hate the fake hood. I know it's for screen accuracy and that's why I don't generally care about screen accuracy but the real good is only a smidge smaller so it looks like it could have easily worked as the chest.

He holds together we'll and looks just like the old cartoon if that's all that matters (and I know for most of you that is) but this is clearly a case of when shrinking an MP figure doesn't practically work.

You can disagree and deny all day and I'm sure you will (the number of people more interested in arguing then discussing has always been one sided around here) but facts are facts.

This guy really isn't worth the money. TR and classics did it better.

But I'm sure he'll look good next to Rodimus.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Preach Starscream

Preach Starscream Well-Known Member

To be fair, most of that was opinions rather than facts.

I'd say the guy was worth every penny.

• Like Like x 4
  12. OptimusTarzan

OptimusTarzan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have 2 copies of this now. The first one developed a stress mark, where the right arm tabs under the windshield. I thought it was due to drunk transformation. I also broke the right side arm exhaust tab where it tabs to the back half of the exhaust.

So I bought a second copy. As soon as I transformed him into car mode, a stress mark developed on the right arm. This isn't a fluke, it's a defect. The tab where the arm tabs into is too large for the slot.

See the white stress mark!

20210412_184840.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  13. Razzy

Razzy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Why does my knee hurt?

IMG_20210527_190254.jpg

Finally snapped one up on a sale... And it's going right back in for replacement without even being transformed. His left knee was really hard to move, but when I loosened the screws, it immediately started pulling apart. Plus, the small indents in it were discolored, looking like stress marks. The above is what I found inside, I think the part was miscast, then they mauled it completely by forcing it together.

Hopefully the replacement one will be fine.

Cya
    Raziel-chan

14. Megatron118

Megatron118 Excelsior! Moderator

News Credits:
    Just noticed that mine has marks on both arms too. Kind of a bummer that they didn’t foresee and resolve this before release, but hopefully it’s not detrimental in any significant way. Just unsightly

• Like Like x 1
  15. TyrantGalvatron

TyrantGalvatron Hasbro is NOT your enemy.

News Credits:
    Thanks for the heads up on this my friends. I transformed mine once and I can see extremely minor stress marks around that tab hole.

I sanded down the tabs on the roof assembly so that it won't stress the tab holes in the forearms any further.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime Once slapped a goose

News Credits:
    You have defined an opinion. That isn't how facts work.

• Like Like x 5
  17. ar78

ar78 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm seeing these show up everywhere again. The Meijer near me had them on sale for $22.99, so I picked one up.

On looks, he is great. However, in hand everything just feels cheap. The plastic is thin and he just feels light. I appreciate the lack of hollow legs and arms, but not at the expense of thicker plastic. He does have a significant parts count, but a lot of the small panels weren't really necessary.

The transformation is a pain and the accessories aren't really a bonus. Since none of them store in vehicle mode and you have to pick which you want to store in bot mode. Kids will just lose everything.

He's not a toy, but a display figure. Like a lot of the Studio Series, I wouldn't give him to my son. Overall I like the Titans Return Hot Rod better. Even the Power of the Primes base Hot Rod hits enough points to fit in any collection.

If you don't have a Hot Rod in your collection, this might be the best one yet. $30 is steep, regardless of the articulation and engineering. At $20 this figure would be easy to recommend for a collector. He works best in a movie pose with some other bots. By himself standing in his box pose, he loses what makes a figure with this much articulation special.

18. Dexatronic

Dexatronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But they do store in bot and car mode... And look terrible doing so lol

• Like Like x 1
  19. JackAd89

JackAd89 Well-Known Member

I rememeber older figures had the same stress when I opened them.

20. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    As I was grabbing mine to blast with a heat gun to fix the stress mark on his arm, I took a closer look and noticed something interesting:

The inside wall of the slot that is stressed has a raised ridge of excess plastic in the middle running the depth of the slot. The ridge is exactly where the stress mark appeared, leading me to assume that its the cause if the stress. I have no camera with macro but you can kind of see it on my iPhone photo.

C9029837-3FA1-4565-B9F9-F7230C2B46B9.jpeg

The other arm has no ridge inside the slot and no stress mark.
    CFE9E9E1-5A32-42B5-8A97-82F8F8CEBABD.jpeg

This could be coincidental of course but I will be removing the excess plastic from the stressed side just in case.

Now if I could just find a solution to the dang lower legs not tabbing in, that’s the worst issue on mine by far.

• Like Like x 5