Studio Series 86-04 Voyager Hot Rod

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ziltama, Dec 4, 2020.

1. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Sorry, I just look very gouda. That was cheesy.

I STOP THE TIME!
    20210308_113035.jpg
    Also this is a soild figure.

• Like Like x 5
  2. 1BLD

1BLD Well-Known Member

He's good, certainly feeling worth his pricepoint. One thing I was worried about was whether the accessories would seem like they were padding things out, but I'm not left wishing that I could have paid £5 less for a more basic package or anything, which is always my question with these size class+ figures.

Everyone has already elaborated on all the positives, so I'll restrict my comments to two minor things that feel every so slightly off to me:
    • His forearms seem just a little short. Not massively so, he's hardly Cybertron Hot Shot or anything, just another couple of mm would do it. It's surely a geometry thing with the car mode, and the upper arms seem proportionate. Had it been possible, his welding torch could have been a little less stubby too, since it would have a bit more room inside the forearm.
    • The odd geometry of Hot Rod's car mode strikes again. It's hard to pinpoint what makes it look weird, but I think the canopy stops a bit too far forwards. The curve of the car seeps to peak almost in the exact middle, like he would be just as aerodynamic going backwards (sans spoiler, obviously) as going forwards.
    Those two things are both incredibly petty, but that's a testament to the overall strength of this design. I know that there has been much discussion of the visible knees, but from a typical viewing angle the spoiler does a good job of hiding that so I don't personally care.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WinstoBot

WinstoBot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I finally opened Hotrod after having him for a month. I like that honeymoon MIB period. He’s absolutely everything everyone said about it, the good and the bad. That car mode is cool as hell, I don’t get why there’s any complaint at all. It’s gorgeous. It’s legit a mini MP, this coming from a guy that owns both MP versions. Not bad for $30. I also caught that step 22 or 23 was a vestige of an older design. I was very careful with transforming it having read all the warnings about that little small tab on the forearm pipes snapping and the tab on the blue plastic where the spoiler tabs in. No damage after one transformation but there are big stress marks. This red plastic is very prone to leave marks. The forearm slots where the window tabs down on it has a white stress mark like it might break apart. Yikes. Might have to shave the window tab down or expect more damage in the future. Overall, it is a wonderful figure, problems and all.

4. Olivus Prime

Olivus Prime Space Ranger

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've yet to completely feel the love on this guy. The tolerances on mine aren't great, though that may be something that improves with use.

Can't deny that this isn't the best G1 Hot Rod we've received at this size though. The angles on him are great in both modes, very dynamic.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yuuki

Yuuki Cuteness is the right of all sentient beings

The one I ordered from Hasbro Pulse a little bit ago came in yesterday so I finally have some hands on experience with this guy. The tolerances on mine are a bit of a mixed bag, some work, some don't really. The shoulders are the biggest problem I have with this figure, as the mechanism on one side isn't molded properly to allow the left arm to sit flush. This also provides a little bit of strain in vehicle mode. That's not the part that concerns me though. I do not like the shoulder designs, they're scary. Way too much pressure is being put on those mushroom pegs in the chest whenever you rotate them, they want to give before the actual shoulder attachments do, and the design itself makes that give scary in the long-term. This is a flaw of the mushroom peg's design, and could result in the head snapping off if you aren't careful and if your joint tolerances in the shoulders are tight. To allow for the butterfly joint the mushroom peg itself isn't centered, but this results in there not being enough of a foundation for the piece to be firm and prevent wiggle room when pressure is applied. That wiggle room comes into play when you rotate the tight shoulders, you need to hold the figure by those butterfly joints or it will twist the mushroom pegs at an angle, flexing the mushroom attachment. Now, thankfully these pieces do seem to be made of a more pliable material, so maybe that flex was taken into consideration in the design process, it would be a pretty big oversight if not. But in hand it does not feel good. Thankfully I've dismantled mine and there doesn't seem to be any sign of stress marks yet.

Additionally, flexing the joint is also preventable by only rotating the shoulder joints in a reverse direction. This puts pressure on the joint in a way that the plastic there can resist, keeping the joint firmly in place.

Other things? Well he also survived all of one solid transformation before something broke on me, and it's those darned pipes, which are providing a lot more stability for the arms than I'd previously thought.

This was a mistake on my part however, as I did not realize it was designed to hook under the leg pipes. The arms are very firm in place when attached, but because I thought it was a simple slot, I was twisting the legs when disconnecting them, I was also doing this to avoid stressing the slots in the spoiler that attach to the legs, and that resulted in the break. Problem is, those hooks are the only real firm connection point the arms and legs have, without that tiny clip you do not have a solid connection on my copy. As result, I've actually opted to leave the other side unclipped as well for a uniform look. It's a bit annoying, but not as worrisome as the shoulder. Though, given how tiny those clips are and what purpose they serve, I am a little bit concerned whether even leaving them hooked in at all will stress the pieces over time. As well, the proper method of disengaging them requires pushing the arms inwards, I thought no biggie, right? Well, this is hard to do without putting pressure on the hood slots. I've also noticed those slot have been causing stress not on the clear slot pieces, but the holes in the arms. These slots really are more trouble than they're worth, without them you'd probably be fine just using the pipe connections.

Real mixed bag overall, but I still like him. The flip out visor is an especially nice detail in hand that I'd love to see more figures incorporate. And hey! The new Matrix actually clips into my ER Prime's compartment, which was a problem I had that I'm pretty glad to finally have fixed. All in all I'll be picking up a replacement and see if maybe I can't avoid those breakages this time with the foresight I've garnered.

6. Chump

Chump Well-Known Member

This is a great figure. I was going to stop collecting for awhile until this series came out. I love the figure but was disappointed when one of the guns snapped in half when I tried removing it from the packaging. I was able to glue it together, but am still disappointed..I've never had a gun break like this.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Preach Starscream

Preach Starscream Well-Known Member

Light our darkest hour
    IMG_E2821.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  8. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    that's that extra $10 devoted to fun battle damage features like broken guns and snapped off tabs lol

• Like Like x 2
  9. Warpshard

Warpshard Well-Known Member

I got this guy for my birthday, and I'm not impressed. The transformation is good, but at a scale as small as this and the plastic feeling so flexible, I'm constantly on edge that I'm going to break it or twist something a bit too hard. The shoulders in particular were super tight and needed to get shock-oiled so it didn't feel like I was about to snap the shoulder off. Additionally, the paint on the face of my copy is messed up, with tiny black marks on the right side of the face, an uneven coat of paint on the right eye, and the left fold-out headlight piece is completely unpainted!

• Like Like x 1
  10. The Diam0ndknyt3

The Diam0ndknyt3 Jolt and Dino supremacy

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Anyone has any solutions for fixing the super tight shoulder joints? Whenever I move mine the whole joints moves forward and back all the way until it hits the chest or back piece to stop it from being flexed. It's very worrying as the joint feels extremely stressed to the point i feel like its gonna snap anytime. And because of this issue it really disappointed me as this was the only flaw on my copy. Everything else works perfectly fine.

11. Olivus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's crazy what a difference painting the roof hinge makes. Suddenly the entire vehicle mode looks spot on.
    IMG_1496[1].JPG

• Like Like x 16
  12. Brakescream

Brakescream F&@king Twist Ties!

News Credits:
    One of the joints has just gone badly wrong on mine. If it weren't for the fact I'd transformed it a couple times, I'd have assumed it was misassembled, but I have so I don't know what's happened here.

This is as close to 'flat' as the joint can go so it can no longer go into car mode, and it should actually rotate all the way down for robot mode, so it no longer does that either (I can however just have this piece facing backwards and it still looks ok in robot mode so long as you don't look at it from the back.

I have no idea at what point this joint went like this, it's always been a bit finnicky, but I can't seem to fix it with either force (short of breaking it) or sanding, there's just no clearance for it to go back the way it's supposed to be.

EDIT: FIXED! In case anyone has this happen to theirs and is googling a solution like I know I did, I managed to fix it by pushing an arm of a pair of tweezers through the tab and levering it through. There was a little resistance, but it popped through with a little effort. Hot Rod can turn into a car again!

hree.jpg

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Goldlock

Goldlock and don't call me Shirley

News Credits:
    I'm a little late to the party on this one. Thought the hype was probably a little too hyped.....but maybe not!

IMG_20210408_161405315.jpg

I've never been the biggest Hot Rod fan, but love what they've done with this squished Voyager! It's the only recent G1 figure that has me as giddy as Kingdom's BW offerings.

IMG_20210408_160050543.jpg

Transformed mine a couple of times, and there's no sign of any stress marks or broken tabs anywhere. The flap to rotate the left arm doesn't seem to want to open fully enough to spin the hand completely (could just be a stiff pin), but I've left Roddy's accessories in the box for now, so it doesn't matter much.

IMG_20210408_155807645.jpg

I can see why some people have had trouble with the crap tonne of hinges and thin plastic, but the engineering and silhouette on this guy was worth every bit of fiddliness!

• Like Like x 7
  14. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    @Olivus Prime What color did you use? Right out of the bottle or a custom mix? And is it it holding up through transformation?

You painted the spoiler too, I see.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Olivus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I mixed Tamiya red, white and black until I had the right shade, sorry I can't be more specific. I remember even just a dash of white or black would affect the shade significantly, so it took some mixing. The little blue sections were Tamiya metallic blue.

Generally it holds up through transformation, though the paint on the circular inner part of the hinge (the one which rotates the spoiler assembly) has understandably scraped off.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Perverted Sociopath™

News Credits:
    Been a while since I did a review, and to be honest, part of it was trying to getting the mood, but the other was getting a toy since Kingdom Cyclonus that I wanted to talk about. Like it’s not that I haven’t gotten some great toys since then. Kingdom Beast Wars Megatron, Dinobot, Airazor Earthrise Prime, Studio Series 86 Grimlock, but I just couldn’t find anything I wanted to say apart from “they are really good and I like them.” Hell, I even just considered slagging of Earthrise Arcee, but everyone’s done that. And figuring out how to do all that funnily, with jokes that I haven’t done before or weren’t just too obvious sucked the fun out of it.

But then came Studio Series 86 Hot Rod which the ENTIRE GODDAMN FANDOM WOULD NOT SHUT UP ABOUT and then I bought him and here we are.

[​IMG]
    By Unicron’s silly beard is this guy just amazing

I initially skipped him in favour of Scourge because, well, Decepticons, but I got some spare cash and went “why not!” OK, Hot Rod is not one of my favourite characters, but I liked him well enough. Rodimus Prime…not so much. Partly because of just how whiny he was as a leader, and how he never got any real character development apart from “hey you’re the chosen one now, good luck with that.” I’ve owned a few of his toys, It wasn’t until IDW’s More Than Meets The Eye that I started appreciating. The arrogant goofy dickhead who genuinely thought he was hot shit and then had everything come crashing down around his ears, to get quasi-replaced by Megatron on his ship and THEN he builds himself back up. Brilliant. I’ve got his Titans Return toy and it was good enough for me to bund that on the Lost Light crew shelf, without having to spend more money than I was willing on a third-party version.

All that being said when I this guy, I was kinda stunned by just how pretty he is in bot mode. And when I got him out of the box…just…well when you start singing a character’s theme tune while holding his toy you know you’re on to something special.

[​IMG]
    Now I could wank on about how well articulated he is, how people have compared him to the Masterpiece version and how he’s come on top, but I think there’s something that needs to be addressed. Please look at the following picture. On the left, the Studio Series 86 Voyager, a £33 toy. On the right, the Titans Return Deluxe, which cost £17 when it was released. Can you see where I’m going with this?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yes they are essentially the same size. Now some people will moan about how this guy isn’t bigger than a toy half his price. However, even a cursory glance will show that the Studio Series Voyager has gone to more detailed sculpting, more paint applications and better articulation…and then there’s all the stuff he comes with and can do!

[​IMG]
    Not only does he come with a Matrix, effect part for said Matrix, two guns, his buzzsaw and the flame blast effects. On top of that his left hand also turns into the blowtorch he used to fix Kup in the movie. And you can open his head and flip-down a visor!

[​IMG]
    I have NO IDEA why this excites me so much but it does. He’s bloody packed with stuff. Couple that with the aforementioned articulation and gorgeous paintwork, he’s well worth the £33. And that’s before we get into the beautiful transformation! Where, for the first time, we get him doing the twisty arm thing he did in his first transformation in the movie!

[​IMG]
    And God does the car mode look good. Yes he us smaller than his TR counterpart but it just looks beautiful thanks to all the extra sculpting and paint work.

Honestly, if you were considering skipping this guy, don’t. He’s frankly the best toy in the SS86 toy line so far, and definitely in the top five figures of the year so far for me anyway. All this for the guy who for so long was thought of as the Transformers version of Scrappy-Doo. Amazing.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  17. TyrantGalvatron

TyrantGalvatron Hasbro is NOT your enemy.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    And just like that, Takara Legends Hot Rod has become one with the matrix.

20210415_182542.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  18. cylor

cylor Well-Known Member

Amazing, where does that fishing rod come from?

• Like Like x 2
  19. TyrantGalvatron

TyrantGalvatron Hasbro is NOT your enemy.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I got it off ebay for my Titans Return Hot Rod a few years back. It was passed to Takara Legends Hot Rod and now it's been passed to Studio Series 86 Hot Rod.

If I remember correctly, it took a little searching on ebay but I eventually found it.

I wish I had a fish to put on the end of it

• Like Like x 1
  20. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    The second time transforming mine and BOTH of the silver tabs that hook the pipes together for alt mode broke off.

It still holds together, but... damn.

Is this common?