Studio Series 76 Voyager Thrust [Bumblebee]

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ziltama, Aug 6, 2021.

1. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    Studio Series 76 Thrust - Bumblebee Movie

He is now green but still a conehead.
    ssthrust1.jpg

As with some of my past reviews of redecos / remolds, this is not going to be a full review. Going to focus on differences and pictures.

Thrust is a redeco and partial retool of Studio Series 72 Starscream. Thrust and Starscream have no shared parts with Studio Series Blitzwing despite the resemblances in bot mode. The green color scheme is a homage to Armada Thrust's deco. Aside from deco changes, Thrust has a new head mold and a new cone shaped hood over his head. His face looks the same as Blitzwing but is a different head mold. The cone hood is part of a newly molded upper torso piece and thus cannot be separated.

There are some areas on Starscream that have more painted details compared to Thrust and vice versa. The clear canopy plastic is now more yellow and better matches the opaque painted faux cockpit area near the neck. The Decepticon faction logo is also different: bigger and paler in color.

Some of the same issues from Starscream are copied over. The hands still cannot hold the short pegs on his weapons flush. The null rays seem to stay on OK, though. This is a known problem with many copies of Starscream (ours was OK). One of the null rays is noticeably more snug compared to the other. Overall, the null rays stay on good enough but YMMV. The null rays do not plug directly into the upper arms.

The left wing tip appears to be fixed and doesn't pop off when rotated, as compared to Starscream (although reinforcing the mushroom peg fixes that).

There is a new problem, however, with Thrust. His cone hood now severely restricts head movements. There is barely any rotation in any direction.

Edit: See below regarding partially improving the head rotation.

Bot Mode: The new head mold and cone shaped hood are the obvious new changes. This is maximum head rotation.
    ssthrust8.jpg

Another view of the new conehead. Also shows the difference in faction symbols.
    ssthrust6.jpg

Comparison with Starscream:
    ssthrust5.jpg

When attempting to test the limits of rotation, the front half of the head just popped off. Our copy had no glue. This is a different head mold compared to Blitzwing.
    ssthrust7.jpg

Alt mode:
    ssthrust2.jpg

Externally, the alt mode appears the same. The new conehead mold doesn't interfere with transformation. ssthrust3.jpg

Comparison with Starscream:
    ssthrust4.jpg

Conclusion:
    If you liked the tetrajet mold, then Thrust is highly recommended. If you don't, Thrust will not win you over either. He carries many of the same weaknesses that Starscream has and has a new one with limited head mobility. He is not a simple recolor but has newly molded parts to establish his conehead look.

Overall, we liked the figure. Purchased at MSRP from Target.com.

Edit:
    Showing the wing tips pointed down per box art and movie. They are up in the instructions. Also, shown with UW Armada Thrust. On his back, it is possible to store the blaster using the same connections from alt mode.
    thrusts1.jpg

Edit #2:
    It is possible to get more rotation from the head: 45 degrees in either direction. Granted, it feels uncomfortable to do so and feels like something may break. By pressing back and trying to turn the head simultaneously, the "ears" may finally get clearance and move into the hood. Caution is needed to avoid paint scuffing as the head is painted.
    ssthrust10.jpg

This is another view of back storage of the large blaster. Works better for Thrust than Starscream due to the cone shaped hood. Use the same alt mode tabs to attach.
    ssthrust9.jpg

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 8
  2. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's inevitable that Bumblebee Starscream will get a bunch of repaints, though surprisingly the first one is inspired by Armada Thrust! Old Squidhead's a favorite of mine so it's nice to see him get some recognition.
    The goofy cone, masked head, and down-turned wings help Thrust stand out from Starscream and Blitzwing, and the bold green and off-white offers some color to the Decepticon ranks. (kinda reminds me of Wingblade)
    [​IMG]
    As you might expect, the hood limits the head articulation. I ended up popping it off the neck joint just trying to eke out a slight turn, heh.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Don't care for the guns here. The big one has such a short post it's hard for Thrust to hold, meanwhile the paired guns are oddly flat and lack the option to go on his forearms.
    All three are incompatible with blast effects, which is a shame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Jet mode's looks far more like an actual thing than most other Movie Cybertronian modes, though the feet sticking out the back and the undercarriage's sheer size feel like they didn't quite know what to do with everything.
    Also, as you might have noticed, the nosecone on mine got warped. Hopefully dipping it in some hot water will fix it up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It's not a new problem or anything, but the instructions are spectacularly unhelpful, even showing pegs that don't exist. Also, they depict a slightly different Seeker...

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 11
  3. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In Stock

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review!

I have one arriving from Target.com tomorrow, can't wait.

I know it's your toy/preference, but those wing tips need to be flipped over! :p 

thrust.png

• Like Like x 5
  4. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In Stock

News Credits:
    Looks fantastic! Thank you for the review!

Love the group shot picture!

5. ziltama

News Credits:
    Yep, the instructions have them up, but the box renders have them down. I know they're down for the movie. For Starscream, both the box renders and instructions have them pointing up, so leftover habit from that.

Added a picture showing them down in the main post, along with Unite Warriors Armada Thrust.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Warpshard

Warpshard Well-Known Member

Looks good! I'm more interested in the neat one-off figures than I am in a proper set of Seekers, so I'll probably be picking up Thrust eventually. The cone so heavily restricting head movement is disappointing, but I can't say I'm surprised. I would have liked it to be removable, but you can't win them all unfortunately.

7. ziltama

News Credits:
    Updated review about the head rotation issue. It is possible to get more but still limited. Basically, by pressing back and turning, the "ears" will clear and give some more rotation. Granted, this feels like something might break, and there is risk of paint scuffing as the head is painted in black.

Also added another pic about storing the large blaster on the back.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ApocalypseThruster

ApocalypseThruster Local “Why aren’t they here?!” Poster

News Credits:
    Do you think it's possible to make an extender so the head gets a bit more articulation? Because on the one hand, he's way more visually appealing details-wise than Starscream (especially the head... always was more fond of the Blitzwing head). On the other hand, I want to at least pose him more dynamically without him being gimped by a neck brace.

9. ziltama

News Credits:
    Space is so constrained that an 'extender' wouldn't work. A replacement head would do better but may look odd looking smaller / squished.

10. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    kind of underwhelmed by the final toy, but that's mostly because this doesn't feel like enough of a commitment to an armada homage but just a random green seeker that's not even green enough to be acid storm. but that's mostly on the fault of the design, which was never intended to be anything but a generic anyway lol

11. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

When the Bumblebee Movie came out, this was the one thing I wanted as a toy. Even better when I found out the Green conehead Seeker really was meant to evoke Armada Thrust which is a personal favorite from Armada.

His thighs are a bit looser than I would like (more so than the arms which are the right amount) and his 5mm posts on his weapons are too much on the short side so they aren't easy for him to hold. His knees are rock solid, though, so getting him into some neat poses isn't that difficult. Wings stay on fine compared to what I heard about Starscream.

I don't mind that you can't arm mount the cannons as Armada Thrust wasn't like that and the main gun is clearly the transformable arm weapon common to the movies. Gives a different sort of vibe when he's dual wielding rifles compared to the general other Seekers who are arm-mounted. Kind of gives a 'gunslinger' vibe (which is slightly appropriate given Armada's DW comics appearance)

The jet is my favorite between this and the Siege version. Carries a better look at being a starship that doesn't have to work with an aerodynamic atmosphere (even though we all know Cybertron does in fact have an atmosphere). It's a different take from the WfC games which is a more compact form, but this form is more threatening than a flying box.

Would consider this again in Skywarp colors. Still iffy on Starscream because the color scheme doesn't flatter this mold.

ED: As a proof of concept that extending the 5mm pegs would help a ton, I stuck the rifles in Cyberverse Prowl's Spark Armor jet wings and stuck them on Thrust. The pegs on the spark armor wings fit perfectly fine and they don't fall out at all. Thrust's rifles sit flush against the outer port of the spark armor's wing armor pieces so the only thing 'wrong' is now there's an extra blue fin.

I have yet to find a piece to extend the peg on the arm cannon, but I imagine it would help just the same (in fact if it's long enough you can fold the hand back and sling the entire arm 'underhanded' and it'll look even better)

ED 2: Gave him PotP Inferno's rifles (left over because I turned him into "Smolder and Chopster" by giving him the Siege Pteraxadon so he didn't need rifles anymore). Looks much better, holds better in all slots, too. Gave Thrust's rifles to TR Twinferno (the shorter pegs work great in his 'hand' pegs and okay in his wings); gave TR Twinferno's rifles to World's Collide Fangry. Everyone's happy now.

ED 3: Have his arm cannon wedged into his back. With the cannon facing up, you could argue a convincing Blitzwing out of this mold with the tank turret homage.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
  12. bacems

bacems Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    YouTube:
    Got mine few days ago. Gotta say, i am liking this toy. Posing his head is a bit of a pain in the ass, but not a deal breaker.
    20210821_184651.jpg
    20210821_182509.jpg

While i'm at it, i also try to reconfigure the jet mode to have a "cleaner" underside.
    20210822_202241.jpg
    20210822_202513.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  13. Decker

Decker Well-Known Member

Just got this guy today and he's pretty cool, but then I already liked the Starscream mold of this. The ankles are a little bit looser on this then on SS, any way to fix that? Some future maybe?

20210825_171427.jpg

I would probably get this mold again in Thundercracker or Skywarp colors lol.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Mihono Bourbon's hero

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    My first time with the BB Seeker mold, which according to leaks is gonna be milked to high heavens.
    Robot mode looks good, and I also like the alt mode. The transformation was something I also really liked.
    Of course the main gun has this short peg so he can't hold it easily, and the black guns stay on the ports they're supposed to be in, but not as tight as I'd like. And of course the conehead, errr, conehood, restricts head articulation.
    Still overall I like this guy.

IMG_20210902_212317.jpg IMG_20210902_211503.jpg IMG_20210902_211155.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  15. RazorclawX

I modded the main gun to extend the port and Thrust holds it fine now (with consideration that it's still not entirely flush to his arm because of the weight of the gun). For the smaller guns I put pieces of scotch tape on the pegs and they stay in better.

16. Nemesis Scourge

Nemesis Scourge Unicron's finest

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I got Thrust and Starscream together this week and finally opened them. I kinda like Thrust a little bit more than Starscream, dunno why exactly.

Since both of their wing guns are black I was able to swap them around to find the right tolerances on the wing ports. The left one from Starscream was super loose on his wing, but on Thrust it stays on fine (could still be better; I will fix this eventually, but right out the package this is okay for the moment). Same goes for the Thrusts right wing gun.

17. rikkomba

rikkomba Fishmonger Supreme of TFW2005

SS Thrust is a repaint of SS Starscream, the voyager from the bumblebee movie.

I don't own SSS.

SS Thrust's color scheme is a homage to Armada Thrust (see episode: "Tactician").
    Compared to Armada Thrust, SST has a less interesing color scheme, with dull grey instead of the subtle camo of the 2003 toy. AT's toothpaste green was replaced by a slightly more acceptable shade of green.

After 18 years, transformations and articulation have changed drastically. SST doesn't have any real gimmick, other than weapon integration in alt mode - its rifle is actually essential to complete its transformation. The two black guns are more or less useless crap, and you wouldn't miss them.

[​IMG]

AT's transformation is simpler, but much more enjoyable, with SST opting for panels and general discomfort.
    However, I am a huge fan of SST's alt and robot modes. Overall, I would say these are two very different figures, and SST manages to homage AT without compromising its own concept.

I recommend Studio Series Thrust to any SS fan, and of course Armada fans can only appreciate the homage. 7/10

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

This... might honestly be my least favorite Transformer in years.

Aside from the fact its alt-mode is "spaceship... with ill-defined giant box below it" (seriously. This is the worst alt-mode I've seen in a mainline figure in a long time), it's frustrating because it's literally the only Voyager I've seen in stores in weeks. Is he a solid case because I've managed to see him at three stores which for my area is impressive. Nothing else, though.

19. rikkomba

rikkomba Fishmonger Supreme of TFW2005

Swoosh it

20. RazorclawX

Wraith_SCR_Art1.jpg

And that's the sound of a spaceship flying by.