Studio Series 66 - Overload

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by rikkomba, Jun 15, 2020.

1. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

So I rushed to put Devy in combine mode and never really had a chance to let Overload shine by himself....

Until this evening.

Wow, I love this figure! He has so much personality and just oozes "character."

One of the steps that involve clicking him forward at the waist 2 or 3 notches gives him that sinister, hunched over stance; ala Studio Series Megatron.

Couple that with his thigh swivel, knee bend, and ankle tilt; albeit wonky tilts, and you can get some badass devilish poses.

Once you play around with the MASSIVE ratchets in his shoulders and the various arm mushroom pegs, you can get some cool reaching out and grabbing poses too!

Lastly, you can pull the assembly that his head is on forward a bit to allow for a great range of motion on his head, which makes for extra posing personality.

For a figure that presents itself like nothing more than a brick the first time you engage with it, you'll quickly find that this guy is chock full of personality and gives off the perfect evil vibe of the last member of the Devy team.

Well done indeed.

Enjoy ya'll ....he'll be stateside soon I'd imagine.

• Like Like x 16
  2. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You know what dude..Im the first one here to tell you that you cannot count how many times, Ive "reviewed" or added thoughts to a figure I recently bought..only to comeback into the same exact thread and say

"Guys..I was WRONG."

Sometimes the shock of $50 spent on something youve built up in your head can lead to the feeling of guilt. It is an actual psychological condition called "Buyers remorse", and I learned all about it in the years I did sales, and was a sales manager. Sometimes you cant help but think of that $50, and the "worthless chunk of plastic" I just wasted that $50 on has ZERO..and I mean ZERO value until the mind passes the Buyers remorse stage and thinks about the purchase in a logical or fresh perspective. Seriously..if youve been on these threads since '04, im positive youve read one of my "I was wrong" posts..either by looking at pics before I got something, and I shit all over it, or just hated it when I first touched it..only to love it for what it is after I made that discovery.

I tell ya what...Do this...Walk away from this thread for a bit, handle a bunch more of your figures, and then smoke a fatty, and sit with overload for an hour.

Come back and give a "second opinion".

These back and forth trivial bickering arguments do nothing for the thread, and unfortunately, by the way you have defended your view so hard, you may have lost a bit of credibility on your view of THIS figure.

Nobody is mad atcha..and when the figure gets mainstream release, you may be right on all your points, I dont think you are, but you may be.

If you look at what this figure IS...a 4 armed General Grievous lookin, monster looking, TORSO FORMING, Transformer...Maybe you can see it for what it IS..and maybe not be so disappointed for what it is NOT.

Dave

• Like Like x 15
  3. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    This thread is wild. Can’t wait to pick Devastators pants at some point in the future.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    The post that said this is the "worst review thread ever" still makes me laugh every time I read it :lol 
    That was such a sad attempt at a diss on this figure. They don't even look like they're from the same toy universe.
    Too late! I actually read in another thread that they sold the whole devastator set already. POOF gone... You did drop some sage advice though my friend.

• Like Like x 9
  5. Chainlink

Chainlink No real than you are

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I really can't wait to get my copy so I'll be able to form an honest opinion on this guy.

• Like Like x 6
  6. rikkomba

rikkomba Fishmonger Supreme of TFW2005

I don't know if it helps, but the alt mode of SS Overload is by itself an undefined, compromised brick which is already sacrificed for the combiner functionality. With that out the way, a figure would not go beyond 5/10 in my book. As far as my personal opinion goes, we are debating whether it's a 4/10 or a 4.5/10.
    SS Devastator is more than the sum of its parts, but all those other parts seem to be quite superior in quality to SS Overload.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Burnout00012

Burnout00012 Fossilizer Enthusiast. She/Her

Can anyone please point me towards where someone in the US can purchase Overload for MSRP?

• Like Like x 1
  8. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He's not technically supposed to be out yet, so most of the US retailers either don't have him or aren't shipping him yet. The ones out there are coming through Asian sources.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Burnout00012

How are people getting him so early then? I'll buy from wherever, as long as I can get it to the US fairly expediently.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Bought mine from UK based importer Kapow Toys.

• Like Like x 3
  11. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    As is typical, the Chinese/Asian market gets them first since that's where the toys are manufactured, plus they're mercenary enough to not give a shit about street dates. From there, they usually trickle out to European sellers, who can get their orders in from said Asian sources relatively fast, because they don't have to deal with slow water freight.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Burnout00012

They don't deliver to the US, sadly. The only thing I can think to do is ask someone based in the UK if they would grab one for me, and then I would pay them back, plus shipping to the states.

I thought the street date was supposed to be June? That's what BBTS said anyway. What even is the official US release date?

• Like Like x 1
  13. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    BBTS lists July, though? So theoretically any time now. But shipment processing through the ports is all sorts of screwy with the current world crisis, so delays across the board are to be expected.

• Like Like x 1
  14. rikkomba

It would be $66 just for the item to get to my door, then another... $40? for international shipping, then US customs... I would expect it to become $120-$130 by the time it reaches you. I would not be surprised if you already found it for $100 or less on ebay.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Chainlink

Chainlink No real than you are

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    It was listed for June when preorders first went up. Obviously that didn't happen lol

Hopefully BBTS will get him in soon. I still have Scrapper in my POL.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SuperRock7

SuperRock7 Gone for some milk

News Credits:
    This thread in a nutshell:
    upload_2020-7-8_14-5-5.gif

• Like Like x 12
  17. Burnout00012

Bah.

• Like Like x 1
  18. rikkomba

It really seems there are a lot of emotions attached to waiting years to complete a gestalt - but after five years nobody raised an eyebrow for Nexus Maximus... not for the gestalt at least

• Like Like x 1
  19. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Its got nothing to do with 'waiting for years' to complete a gestalt (wasn't it just one year?) but that the first post (yours) is very dismissive of its merits and when pointed out you double down on it. The score that you give it at the end doesn't matter. its the content of your review. Saying its practically a brick (at least implied as such) with little value other than to be Devastator's pants is just outright wrong.

• Like Like x 14
  20. rikkomba

What merits? This is a mediocre figure, and its main merits are found in allowing SS Devastator to be formed. Which is great by the way, but not enough to rescue a very expensive mediocre figure on its own.

• Like Like x 1