Studio Series 66 - Overload

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by rikkomba, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Warpshard

Warpshard Well-Known Member

Got this guy in a week, week and a half ago. He's good, but I will admit that I'm underwhelmed by him. The arms are a lot more annoying to pose than I anticipated, especially the outer arms due to the lack of a bicep swivel. He definitely has a presence in robot mode, but his width and the weirdness of his arms makes posing him in a good way kinda difficult. The alt mode is probably the weakest out of all the constructions (and with Scrapper, that's saying something), but it's what it is. Devastator looks good, but is a pain to pose and put together due to how many things can be ever-so-slightly off-center, making him look wonky. He's a display piece in desperate need of many upgrades, but his proportions kinda relegated him to that position anyways.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dear BBTS,

How the heck do you have Overload available with Scavenger as a bundle
    Screenshot_20200917-142803_Chrome.jpg
    but not individually?
    Screenshot_20200917-142823_Chrome.jpg

Someone ease, make it make sense.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    That's because it's sold as a case. The leader case is one of each. Some collectors like to collect the case boxes too.

As individual bots, they would have to open the case or order cases of individual bots. Cases of individual bots tend to come later (but not always).

• Like Like x 2
  4. Chainlink

Chainlink No real than you are

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Overload came in the mail today! Can't wait to get home and crack him open.

Also happy I went out to Target recently. Found Skipjack, so I now have all the Constructicons ready to go!

• Like Like x 4
  5. Chainlink

Chainlink No real than you are

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Spent some time with Overload. My thoughts:

Let's get it out of the way, vehicle mode is blah. The resemblance is there, but honestly if I didn't know what it was supposed to be beforehand, I'd probably struggle to tell you exactly what it should look like. I feel there's a enough vague dump truck detailing, but there's also a bunch of robot junk there, so, y'know.

Robot mode is pretty alright, though. Decently posable, looks cool, sturdy. I think my biggest complaint oddly enough is that I wish the arms had more articulation. The interior arms (the ones closest to the body) could benefit from their own forward/back movement at the shoulder. And the exterior arms could use a bicep swivel. But once I got over that, I really started to enjoy him. There's a lot of quirky charm to this wide boi.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Here's my deal with this guy after a week:

After waiting this long, a review of Overload is basically a review of Devastator. Devastator is amazing. Devastator is fun. Devastator is solid. Devastator is worth the money and the year of waiting.

Overload has an interesting robot mode that he will almost never be in and a bad vehicle mode.

9/10 he will almost always be Devastator and Devs is great.

• Like Like x 6
  7. Mudslide

Mudslide Sick of exclusives

Love his instruction sheet. So easy to tell what is what and what goes where. Really cool robot mode, will have to look at some pics later to figure out where I went wrong with the truck mode. Haven't even tried getting him into Devastator part mode yet.

Edit with additional thoughts:
    Got him into part mode. Whew, glad he'll be going into the storage Pod soon. Just need Topspin and I can say goodbye to Studio Series.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Whisper

Whisper Well-Known Member

I got overload a while ago. He's nice, but there's nothing mind-blowing with him. I do quite like him though, just not as much as some other constructions. His vehicle mode isn't great, but I can live with it. Bot mode is quite nice, and I think this is where he shines best. I just wish his arms could separate more, but his articulation is decent enough as is. Torso mode does it's job well for me, so I have nothing bad to say here. I like this guy about as much as I like scavenger.

Devastator: He's uh... big. I really don't like the official configuration for him. The head sits way too high for the biped pose to work, and I'm not sure if rampage and long haul can sustain all that weight over time. The fanmode is a different story. I like it a lot. Brings back a lot of nostalgia and captures the likeness of devastator well enough. There's not much you can do with him in this state, but simply looking at him is enough to bring me joy.
    Devastator 19.JPG
    Him with all my SS figures (minus bee):
    Devastator 20.JPG
    Devastator is way too big to fit in my shelf when combined, so I'm still back and forth on display options. Leaning towards an alt mode display for consistency:
    Devastator 17.JPG Devastator 18.JPG

• Like Like x 8
  9. Mudslide

Mudslide Sick of exclusives

I like the "Class Photo" pic.

• Like Like x 2
  10. DX7879

DX7879 Captain of Strawhats

Anyone have the measurements of how big Devastator is when he's on all 4? Trying to see if I can somehow get him to fit in an IKEA detolf or if I have to figure something else out lol

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Found him at Target today to my surprise.
    Best part? He was marked in the system as a voyager, so I got him for $20 cheaper then he was supposed to be.

Didn't say anything to the cashier about it being a likely error in the system, just rolled with it.

12. TheAmazingBrave

TheAmazingBrave 吾輩は猫である!!!

So I opened up Overload's chest so I could put to bed the suspicion that he had a ratcheted waist joint for combined mode, sue to his upper and lower body being divided by a barely noticeable separation line.

And the answer is he does not. There is a big, solid T block that slots into the upper body and is completely immobile. In hindsight there wouldn't have been enough room for a ratchet joint what with having two big ones for shoulders, or at least not one stable enough to support Devastator.

So if you were wondering like I was, no, and don't try to twist his waist to find out.

• Like Like x 3
  13. WereDragon EX

WereDragon EX Well-Known Member

ELI5: Exactly what is the issue with Devastator here? It seems to me that it's ill-advised to leave Devastator combined for long periods and that something might break if you do so? As someone who doesn't have the set but is likely considering it, these posts have me a tad worried.

14. meisterman

meisterman Well-Known Member

Quite frankly as a person who has had the set for almost a year and kept them combined almost constantly, I have no idea what they’re talking about. I don’t keep the set in the bipedal configuration as I favour the all fours look but all of the joints on the legs and arms feel suitably robust to not break from him simply standing up.

• Like Like x 2
  15. rikkomba

rikkomba Fishmonger Supreme of TFW2005

Well.

16. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can see Scavenger's shoulders giving out if they're trying to support the outstretched arms for an extended period of time. But the arms are so heavy that they really can't do that anyways.

Quadripedal stance is probably safer in the long run, still, as you spread the weight of the toy out more evenly across his entire mass.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Optimistic Prime

Optimistic Prime Waiting for ROTB...

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I've had Devastator in the combined mode for around 7 months. He's been standing since it takes up less space. When I got him, I predicted that he'd 'break if standing up but if he were on all fours, then he'd be fine.' The first part of that statement is now incorrect to me. He's still looking great and he's not falling over or anything. I think him being on all fours is better and safer overall but him standing up seems to be perfectly fine.

I think we were all worried that some joints would be under too much pressure and would eventually break but I think they're actually quite good!

Obviously I recommend you to find out more from others and listen to their experiences. I might've just been lucky. They're a fantastic set of figures and they make up an impressive monster.

• Like Like x 3
  18. RamenJunkie

RamenJunkie Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Yeah I have not had any issues with mine as a robot just standing on the shelf. Not even on all fours.

19. rikkomba

rikkomba Fishmonger Supreme of TFW2005

Thanks to Optimistic Prime and RamenJunkie for their data points, I updated one of my own comments with your new information.

20. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    I haven't noticed any particular issues with keeping Devastator in combined mode either for prolonged periods of time. He fits on one standard Detolf shelf in upright combined mode and leave him there like that.

• Like Like x 2