Studio Series 60 Scrapper

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ziltama, Apr 14, 2020.

1. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    My new favorite Constructicon? Yes. Yes he is!

IMG_20200425_094728.jpg IMG_20200425_092654.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  2. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The thing with the movie Constructicons is that they're mostly all so alien and refreshing (with Long Haul being the only "normie" of the lot) that every one of them becomes "my new favourite".

• Like Like x 1
  3. darthsutius

darthsutius Minor Sith Lord

News Credits:
    Yep :) 

I remember when ROTF was coming out, and there were toy leaks - someone got hold of a 'ROTF Demolishor' and they were coming up with all sorts of fan modes, since they didn't have any instructions. They even came up with a plausible 'arm mode' for the combined form that we didn't know wasn't an option at the time.

And then we saw the actual designs and I think a lot of us were very taken aback - so much so that we couldn't appreciate them at the time. But with time and hindsight I can really appreciate this group of bizarre designs that all push the envelope a little bit, especially High 'WTF' Tower.

And it gives me the slightest, tiniest glimmer of hope that one day we could still see a figure of 'Devcon' or 'Hatchet' from DOTM...

• Like Like x 2
  4. PlanckEpoch

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    They're all visually interesting in CGI but that doesn't necessarily translate well to toys. Mixmaster and Scrapmetal are pretty boring, all things considered. Transformations are pretty...basic, and in the case of Mixmaster it's clear that his robot mode has been compromised for the sake of the combiner portion. Scrapmetal is just...too conventionally humanoid without much visual interest.

Scrapper? He's got an absolutely ace transformation. His look is pretty fantastic, with some asymmetry on him. Not just interesting visually but also transformation wise!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dachande

Dachande Pleasure Toast Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just got Scrapper today.
    Overall, it's a fun figure. The bot mode could really use ankle tilt, but it still has enough articulation to make it worthwhile.
    Alt mode bugs me to no end. If the bucket wasn't a hole-y mess and had one more hinge joint it would be great. Rolls nicely and has some heft to it. Just that bucket, though...

6. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I totally disagree. The constructicons are some of my favorite Transformers ever. Even the ones I don't love as much as the others are still pretty cool and very accurate to the movie (except the concept art ones obviously). Plus as a group they're just so interesting and look great together. I only have one more to go!

• Like Like x 2
  7. PlanckEpoch

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    It's not like I hate them. But for me just some of them stand out more than the others. For the record I still think ROTF Mixmaster robot mode beats out the Studio Series one. Much closer to the awesome concept art...which I prefer. Again, I think it's clear that his robot mode is the sacrifice to get the combiner gimmick in.

Long Haul looks great but he's just a chunky dude. Scrapmetal is just kind of a boring scrawny dude. But guys like Hightower? Scavenger? Rampage? They're goddamn monsters. Even the humanoids I do like...Scrapper and Overload, look mutant as hell! I dig those mutant and/or monster looks.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Got lucky and found this guy at Target today. Went ahead and cancelled my Amazon preorder for him.

I think he's my favorite of the bunch so far. His bot mode is phenomenal. Just a really cool design, great use of asymmetry that actually kinda hints at what's to come with the big guy himself. It looks good, feels really solid, poses well, has yet another amazing headsculpt. Plus he's a big boy, like surprisingly big.

Transformation is really good too, it's relatively simple but feels interesting enough that the simplicity never feels dumb or lazy.

Alt mode isn't perfect, but I like how chunky it looks, like that the bucket actually kinda buckets. Rolls really well. Not my favorite alt mode of the team, but maybe my second after Scavenger.

I am really pleased with how he turned out. I do wish his alt mode was a tiny bit cleaner and that his claw hand could open instead of basically being a mace, but those are minor complaints honestly. Even if you're not getting the full set, I think Scrapper is a solid recommendation as a standalone figure.

Can't believe there's only one left to go.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Yeah, the SS Mixmaster suffers a bit from how stiff he is, in part due to his multi-mode constraints.

Thankfully, I still have his RotF incarnation to fall back on, which I still find to be amazeballs.

• Like Like x 3
  11. ekocher

ekocher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got charged from hasbro pulse which means mine should be here by the weekend since the distri is about 30 miles from me in PA

12. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Maybe I should just order from Hasbro Pulse and cancel the other order if in stock.

13. Mixmaster

Mixmaster Look into my eyes...

News Credits:
    Got mine yesterday; love the leg transformation. His alt mode is a bit messy, but love the bot mode, love the squashed fat cat face. He's definitely in the top 3 Constructicons for me.

Current standings:
    1. Mixmaster
    2. Scavenger
    3. Scrapper
    4. Rampage
    5. Scrapmetal
    6. Hightower
    7. Long Haul

• Like Like x 3
  14. 1BLD

1BLD Well-Known Member

How is he as a pure standalone figure? I have no interest in the combiner, and the only other construction I have is Long Haul. Obviously that makes the joint chunk at the back entirely vestigal, but is he worthwhile, on his own, and with that handicap?

15. Dachande

Dachande Pleasure Toast Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As a standalone he is pretty darn fun. I'm pretty picky as far as articulation goes, and even though he lacks a waist and ankle tilt he is still a lot of fun to pose.
    I'm also not building the Combiner, so the Construction Decepticons are just that to me, and i enjoy them as such.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Hes great as a stand-alone figure, unless you're picky about the alt mode, which has a little bit of compromise. To me construction vehicles always look a bit like a mess of exposed hydraulics and stuff so I don't mind as much when there are exposed robot bits. Scrapper is an A- figure to me on his own.

• Like Like x 2
  17. astrakhan

astrakhan Well-Known Member

One fun thing you can do: if you lock his shoulders in place you can add Siege/Earthrise Weaponizers as new arms. Ironworks and Zetar are pretty good color matches.

• Like Like x 3
  18. PlanckEpoch

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Scrapper is absolutely great and worthwhile as a standalone figure!

• Like Like x 1
  19. NemesisJazz

NemesisJazz Well-Known Member

Scrapper is my favorite Constructicon IMG_20200427_160557_708.jpg

• Like Like x 11
  20. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    The only Constructicon that I've found to be particularly compromised is Rampage, and that's in part due to his incredibly impractical robot form. Mixmaster's poseability and expressiveness pales in comparison to his RotF incarnation, but he's still a decent toy. They're all great toys, though, that stand-alone quite well, without leaning too heavily on the combination gimmick as a reason for owning them -personal aesthetic tastes aside.

• Like Like x 3