Studio Series 44 Leader Class Optimus Prime - Jetwings

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Fort Max, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I love having ss05's swords there! If you look back a page you can see how I display the jet pack which is on the ground in front. I have a feeling hasbro even intended that as once you fold the wings up it makes the trailer look 10x more movie accurate.
    I have metallic blue which looks great over silver.

2. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I noticed that and gave that a try. I currently have it wedged over the base plate, but that doesn't seem right. Plus, I had to move the swords. But I did find another place for them: the small slots on the outside of the trailer. You can slide the tab of the sword into them. I was gonna take a picture this morning but I didn't have time. I also grabbed more DOTM Mech Tech weapons and popped them into some more of the tabs. Really makes for a solid display piece for them.

I hope when the Takara instructions come out, they fill in some of the gaps: maybe show where the Jetpack is officially supposed to go or have an official way Prime is supposed to hold the shield. I'm also curious if there is an official use for the darker grey piece on the bottom of the platform: what I popped the swords into. I feel like there has to be a reason for it being there but I can't figure it out.

• Like Like x 2
  3. MekaGojira3k

MekaGojira3k Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was gonna finally get the mold with this version, but it still doesn't do much for me. :/ A shame, heard it was a solid enough toy but I've got plenty of movie primes.

4. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Just ordered.
    Arriving tomorrow.
    Thank you Amazon.
    ....just in time for some weekend fiddlin'.

5. sideswipe29

sideswipe29 Collect what makes you happy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    So, for those who have him already, do you think he's worth the full retail price?

I guess this figure has been pushed back from hitting retail stores until September but I'm trying to decide it I should try and track one down right away or wait and see if I can get a deal down the road.

6. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom Hi I'm Sarah

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He's pretty good, matches DOTM Megatron well in alt mode

7. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Amazon has him for retail price right now.
    Just bought it.

8. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, he is. No, he's not perfect and there are a lot of plain surfaces, paint-wise, but he's really nice in person. Small, overall, but definitely Leader Class partscount. Sturdy, too. He holds together better in both modes than 33 did, by a good bit. I did take the translucent windows off of 33 to put on 44's chest and he looks just about perfect, actually. Throw in the second gas tank gun (I wish they would've made a lefty to go with righty) and the swords from SS-05 and he's pretty much perfect as movie figures go. He covers it all, pretty much. All we need are the battle hooks from Dr. Wu and he's absolutely the finished product we should've had from the get go.

The trailer looks great in both modes and I was surprised by how heavy he was in the packaging. He's lighter out of it, of course, but there's still a good bit of plastic here. Sturdy yet flexible so it won't break. Paint apps look good and solid.

9. SuperRock7

SuperRock7 If It Can’t Transform, It’s Not a Transformer.

News Credits:
    I believe you mean 32. 33 is bonecrusher.

10. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I do indeed, sorry about that. Thank you.

11. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wait for the price to dip. This figure is quantity over quality. The remold of prime looks nice with the abs and orange fade but otherwise no extra paint apps besides the silver windows. The trailer and weapons are ok. The shield and jet pack are a joke. The completely hollow half turbines of the jet pack manage to look worse in person than pictures.

I would of rather got less and had what we got done better.

12. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    These two go so well together in truck mode. Plus a quick look at my finished trailer paint! The white splotch at the back is just an area where I sprayed too much clear coat by accident. I’ll fix it eventually.

7D2D75F9-F338-474F-9F60-23CF21B7352B.jpeg 3FFAB836-91C9-4660-9A4A-B3E6DAC034B1.jpeg

• Like Like x 10
  13. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Figured I'd post this here as well.

20190815_210339.jpg

The chest windows are on friction joints, so you can easily swap in the clear windows from SS32. That said, not sure if this necessarily looks better - the DOTM Prime's chest windows are blue plastic with red painted over, so the red appears deeper than on SS32 where it is painted over clear plastic.

Any thoughts?

• Like Like x 8
  14. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any clear shots, or perhaps CGI artist shots, of how the weaponry should be properly colored/painted?

15. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

Great work done.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    So after a few days of playing with him, I definitely have some thoughts. I'll try not to ramble on TOO much below but I'll summarize here was just a "Yes, but..."

OK, so the core figure (SS-32 OP) is solid. If you don't already have a copy of him, definitely pick him up. While I get why some might prefer the Battle Blades Prime from HftD, I think this might be my favorite voyager take on movie trilogy Prime. The proportions are great, the transformation is fun and he's SUPER posable.

So 44 is, at his core, a solid figure. In one way, it is an improvement: the gas tanks, held on with friction joints in 32, are pinned on now and less prone to popping off.

In terms of paint, its a tough call on which is better. While 44 has the yellow gradient on the nose of the truck, it lacks the transparent windows of 32, opting for silver painted windows. Its not a BAD look but having both in hand, I prefer 32. In fact, my 44 has a couple of looser joints and the plastic feels lighter to me (this may just be mine though as I've seen no other comments about it). So I think 32 might remain my main movie Prime (I'll take those abs though as I prefer them). I might at some point see if I can pop the pins out of the backpacks and transfer the pinned gas tanks (although as long as you rotate 32's gas tanks right, they are snug).

I am a big fan of the trailer and I think it nearly justifies the $20 premium over the regular voyager. Might be my favorite part of this set. As the picture above shows, it makes Prime equal in length to DOTM Megatron. It has a ton of ports too so there is a lot of versatility to it. If you've got any old MechTech, you can bung them on there as well. Its a solid bit of fun and adds a lot to the play pattern of the toy.

The Jetpack is...well, its isn't BAD. I wish there was an official place it could store on the Armored Weapons Platform when not of Prime. The hollow bits are disappointing, especially as there seems to be no actual reason for them to be hollow. It isn't for transformation, they just...are hollow. I'm sure a third party will make something to fill those in but if you're on the fence due to price, the prospect of spending MORE money to fill in some gaps likely won't be appealing.

The other weapons are fine. I wish the sword was the transparent orange of the wrist mounted one from the first prime. And the axe is completely lacking any orange. But Prime can hold them all and can look pretty cool. The shield is awkward as it lacks a proper handle. But I also get the feeling it was intended more for show than play. It SHOULDN'T be just for show but I get the feeling it is. I sort of get that with all the weapons. Yes, he can hold them all but the instructions are pretty much just pop them in the ring and call it good.

So, worth $50? Yes, but keep in mind that 1- if you have 32, the core toy is redundant but makes some minor changes, 2-the weapons platform is fun and gives you an official movie-verse trailer, 3-you'll need to accept the hollow bits on the jetpack or be willing to spend more on an upgrade kit and 4-know that most of the weapons are probably more for display than play.

• Like Like x 9
  17. sideswipe29

sideswipe29 Collect what makes you happy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    This is a fantastic write up! Thank you for taking the time to extrapolate all of your thoughts on this toy.

I think your feelings on the toy are reflective of a lot of people's opinion. When you first get him in hand, he might feel great and having the trailer and all of the accessories provides a lot of excitement but once owning him for a while you can start to see his flaws.

I don't own SS-32 so I won't have any solid basis to compare (even though your summary is tempting me to try and track one down so I can compare the 2 :lol ). But I think the core robot will impress me. The silver windows were never an issue for me so I think I can get past those.

The trailer and accessories are interesting. Prior to this figure coming out I tried to defend all of the accessories by saying that it would have been impossible for Hasbro to make this figure and give us everything we wanted and for it to still cost $50 retail. As much as people look at the trailer, the jetpack, and the weapons and say they're hollow and unpainted - yes that's true but it's Hasbro we're talking about. They need to fit figures into price points and at the end of the day, whether we like admitting it or not, their primary focus is making a profit, not appeasing collectors (especially not us movie collectors). To get a Prime that has the orange fade, that has the clear windows, that has the improved pinned back, that has an immaculately painted trialer with equally immaculate accessories that aren't hallow, you're looking at something close to $100. That laundry list to make the perfect figure is only possible with a 3rd party company which I mention later.

All of that aside, I still applaud Hasbro for releasing a figure that I never would have expected to come out 3 years ago. They literally gave us every accessory a DOTM Prine should come with and that's admirable.

You do bring up a valid point, however. Even if you don't mind the hallow bits, if a 3rd party company comes along (which, I think it's pretty likely that DNA designs will) and makes an upgrade kit to fix the issues, it will undoubtedly enhance the figure. The question is, like you said, after spending 50 bucks are you willing to sink in more money into this figure to make it how you wanted it in the first place?

That's a tough call and comes down to each person's own individual wallet. For me, I'm still undecided. A large part of me wants to just take the deep dive a buy it now so I can fun with it, but the other part of me knows I'm a sucker for accuracy and knows that I will buy any accessory kit to make this figure better. I guess for now I'll hold off. Maybe I'll try and track down a SS-32 for cheap to wet my palate and see if it leaves me wanting more.

I appreciate all the feedback you gave though. It was very insightful and gave me a lot to think about :thumb 

• Like Like x 2
  18. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

I love this figure.
    Got him last night....just finishing up putting some paint apps on the weapons, trailer wheels and the trailer itself. What's great is that the smokestacks I've been using since the first incarnation of this figure can now store in the trailer when in bot mode! So cool.

Photos coming shortly....

• Like Like x 1
  19. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Why thank you Krylon Metallic Silver; thank you very much.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: hmmmmm, I feel like I'm staring at the solution to Prime's shield "no-handle" situation. (ESPECIALLY, since it's screwed on)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 8
  20. 009*

009* That Guy In Nebraska

News Credits:
    The main figure is easily the best SS Prime, with the extra paint and improved backpack. Though Hasbro had to skimp out in a few ways, the new weapons are nice. It's also nice to have a Prime come with his trailer again. Haven't seen that outside the MP line since Cybertron Prime.

• Like Like x 2