Studio Series 38 Voyager BB Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Negronicus, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I had worked on my copy a while back and was able to figure out the issue behind the grill not aligning:

• Like Like x 2
  2. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That too - the windshield doesn't sit flush with the windshield, it just lines up with itself.

3. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

Prelude: Ask any given Transformers fan about his favorite scene from the Bumblebee Movie and odds are you’ll be referred to the opening scene on Cybertron. A scene that included a brilliant homage to the famous charge of Optimus Prime from the 1986 Transformers movie. The Studio Series has now given us a toy version of the Optimus Prime seen in this scene, undoubtedly the GeeWunn-est Optimus of the entire Movie franchise. So here we go!

Robot Mode: Let us begin by saying that this robot here is quite clearly Optimus Prime, no doubt about it. And he has all the stylings of the classic G1 Optimus Prime, too. Sure, he has that gap between the two chest windows that was inspired by his appearance in the IDW comics, but apart from that he clearly rocks the G1 Evergreen look. He’s got enough detailing and kibble to pass as a Movie-line figure, too, so all in all a very nice amalgamation of the two design styles. Very nice.

Optimus is a pretty basic figure in that he comes with just one weapon, a variation of his usual black rifle, and no gimmicks. Not even a Matrix (removable or not) behind those chest windows, just a straight-up Optimus Prime figure. The aforementioned rifle can be clipped to his back when he needs his hands free, but that’s it in terms of gimmickry. So all you get is a great-looking, nicely articulated, and highly detailed Optimus Prime figure, which is really all you need.

Some minor points that spoil a perfect rating for this figure. One, he’s got those little hinged plates on his shoulder, which always ride up when he moves his arms. Not a big thing, but superfluous in my mind. A bit bigger: the lower legs, which are basically hollow and several of the plates being pegged together here are rather soft plastic. The figure still has a solid stance, no worries here, but somewhat firmer plastic with more solid connections would have been better here.

So bottom line: a very, very nice Optimus Prime figure. No gimmicks, no overdone stylings, just a solid figure of a great-looking robot. Minor point deduction for the legs, but overall: two thumbs up.

Alternate Mode: As befits an Optimus Prime who goes back to the roots, this figure transforms into a truck that looks much like a 1970s Marmon cab-over-engine truck. The transformation is nothing we haven’t seen before, the only thing that’s slightly original here is the way the legs fold apart to become the rear part of the vehicle. This leads to a lot of plates resting against the back of the driver’s cabin, which looks a bit strange from certain angles.

Apart from that, though, a very nice truck mode. It’s not 100 percent the classic Optimus truck, but very, very close. Optimus’ blaster can be mounted on the back of the truck if you wish. So bottom line: a nice truck mode. Nothing too fancy, but nicely nostalgic.

Remarks: Let’s table the discussion on whether or not the Bumblebee Movie constitutes a reboot for the Movie line and simply concentrate on the fact that we saw a 1984-style Optimus Prime on the big screen. Age of Extinction teased it by giving us an Optimus with his classic alternate mode, but the Bee Movie gave us the full Monty.

As a figure the Bee Movie Prime is a pretty good package with only a few minor issues that prevent a straight A rating from me. The lower legs could be a bit more solid, the kibble plates on his shoulders are somewhat redundant, but otherwise this is a pretty brilliant figure. Recommended to everyone who likes Optimus Prime, especially when he comes in G1-stylings.

Rating: A-

Source: Transformers-Universe.com

• Like Like x 6
  4. SuperTitanHans

SuperTitanHans Upgraded

News Credits:
    This guy is everything that I love about Transformers. Looks good in both modes, pretty robust, and a challenging but never frustrating transformation. I picked him up this evening for the first time in a few weeks and transformed him into the cab without instructions. Took me a little while, but so fun and stress relieving.

• Like Like x 4
  5. quantumhawk

quantumhawk Retired Allspark Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for posting your findings. I would add to your notes that it seems to sit pretty flush if the larger front grill/bumper piece is pushed up far enough. It seems to me that his front window pieces are pushing the grill/bumper down slightly and that's what's causing the smaller grill piece to rotate. You can see this if you open the windows and press up on the bottom of the bumper. It may still be slightly misaligned if you're not actively pushing up on the bumper, but it's definitely much better than it is when it's fully transformed. With all due respect to your efforts, I don't think the sculpted details or column are contributing much to the problem.

IMG_5905.JPG IMG_5906.JPG IMG_5909.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  6. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    It may be that indeed. I did shave down a bit of the under-window as well.

• Like Like x 2
  7. cyberpredicus

cyberpredicus Well-Known Member

Finally found this guy at a Comic book store in Tampa and I'm loving it. I can't stop fiddling with him.

• Like Like x 1
  8. cyberpredicus

I'm sure it's probably been asked before in the thread, but does anyone know how to tighten the hip joints? Mine are getting pretty loose already. Thanks in advance for your help. Plus if anyone is in the hurricane's path please be safe.

9. ar78

ar78 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A lot of people say use nail polish or Pledge (Finish) floor polish. I don't like regular nail polish or buying a giant jug of floor polish. Some people use super glue and let it dry before putting the parts back. I find that the superglue just flakes off.

The best thing is clear nail topcoat. It isn't colored, so it won't leave an annoying color difference on the pegs. It also is made to resist chipping, so it lasts longer than superglue.

Since you aren't really worried about making your nails look nice, go to a Dollar Tree or other dollar store and buy a clearcoat bottle. It will be enough for a few hundred joints. If the joint is really loose, put some on the ball joint and the socket lining. The joint will be tight and still move smoothly.

• Like Like x 1
  10. cyberpredicus

sweet, thank you for the advice ar78

11. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Cut the tabs off the back of the ankles and WOW what a difference! I can't believe they have them on there in the first place. The shins don't come apart while posing anymore AND he has slightly more ankle articulation. Can't believe I didn't bother to do this months ago.

• Like Like x 2
  12. richacm220

richacm220 Well-Known Member

Can you show pics of exactly where you cut?

13. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Sure:

B058EC4A-DF05-4766-AE29-9556D28FBED0.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  14. Dexatronic

Dexatronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Think Ill try this on mine tonight and put a dab of clear nail polish on the tab also

15. Dexatronic

News Credits:
  16. cyberpredicus

I might just give cutting off that tab a shot

17. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom MadameVixen

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I did, it helps a lot

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dexatronic

News Credits:
    100% this is how it should have been made. Now I've cut them off this thing stays solid!

• Like Like x 1
  19. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    So with all the figures being out for a while, which do you think is the superior Voyager Prime? Siege, SSBB, or the G1 colored Evasion Prime?

20. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I’m a G1 nut but this Prime has got to be the best voyager Optimus to-date.

The articulation, mould details and paint applications are top notch for a retail toy.

*G1 colored Evasion is the figure in G1 colours?

• Like Like x 2