Studio Series 38 Voyager BB Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Negronicus, Feb 6, 2019.

1. rikkomba

rikkomba Retired Minicon Guru

• Like Like x 2
  2. LoserBroadside

LoserBroadside Your ship just came in.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Totally fair. It reminds me of the first time I saw a photorealistic painting of a cat. I remember thinking "wow, the artist really went nust with the whiskers all over its face." Then I went home and realized I'd never really noticed just HOW many whiskers my real cat actually had all over its face. I'd become so used to the simplified, cartoony depictions of a cat's whiskers that I'd kind of stopped seeing them all in real life.

• Like Like x 7
  3. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Bought the figure exactly for the alt-mode, so...

• Like Like x 2
  4. savio-prime

savio-prime Autobotist

Ebay:
    Did some painting finally.
    20190425_100022~2.jpg

He's very fun to transform, to pose, to customize/modify and paint!
    20190425_095452~2.jpg

I still have to detail his back...

• Like Like x 11
  5. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Gotta disagree with you on all points. And we definitely do not need another G1 remold. This one actually does unique things while also remaining iconic. And as others have said, this is actually a quite realistic and good truck mode.

• Like Like x 2
  6. NemesisJazz

NemesisJazz Well-Known Member

I agree, i think the crotch/thigh area looks better with a lighter shade. I think i want to spray the blue bits. Did you paint the red parts?

• Like Like x 1
  7. savio-prime

savio-prime Autobotist

Ebay:
    @NemesisJazz , no the red plastic isn't painted. Just the lighting on my desk. This is with the desk light off:

20190425_155512_HDR~2.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  8. rikkomba

rikkomba Retired Minicon Guru

This IS another version of the G1 toy, what are you talking about? It's the G1 transformation with a flood of random panels all around it, doing some mass shifting all around. Technically it's a refined version of the Classics Optimus Prime transformation, and Classic OP is still a better toy and a better transformer.

9. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    What are YOU talking about? I was saying that I disagree that we needed a siege remold cause that is definitely G1, and you're saying this is already that, even though you said we needed something different cause it wasn't that?
    That's a very simplistic way of looking at it, considering this guy does a lot more than most G1 OPs to achieve what he does. Like we've all said already, the truck bed is more unique and more realistic than any other, and his transformation is way more complex without being annoying or unnecessarily complex, AND he matches the on-screen model pretty closely. Don't forget this is a MOVIE toy and has to match a design, this wasn't hasbro saying "gee let's make another Optimus cause it's been a few weeks" and then them not doing what you wanted.

And classics OP is definitely not a better toy and he looks really painfully outdated at this point, but then again that's just my opinion, which you seem to be mad about. Classics OP has been outclassed a few times at this point.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Napalm

Napalm BOASTFUL MANFISH!!! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    SPACEDAD.46.jpg

And somewhat mixed feelings..?

I cannot fault the ambition, but the execution doesn't quite hit the stars his designers were aiming for. The legs don't like me playing hard, the tabs there proving wilful little sods who always want out, he's not quite got the in hand ooomph of say, a Siege lad and his head is screaming for more range (a big deal for me photos, like).

However he looks mint, he poses great elsewhere and his presence is absolute. Here is a Movieverse Prime that can infiltrate a shelf without your other 'bots blinking an optic.

The transformation is a surprising little treat as well. As with his Siege counterpart there's far more going on than you initially think.

The louder part of me is swaying more towards bellowing 'actually he's fucking great, you nitpicking bastard'. We'll settle on 'dead good'.

• Like Like x 12
  11. LoserBroadside

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    These are all basically my feels about him, too. I don't have Siege Prime (yet?), but I feel like the perfect Prime figure lies somewhere halfway in between.

• Like Like x 1
  12. LoserBroadside

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I will say that I'm getting the hang of packing him back into truck mode. But there have been several occasions where I've thought: "I wanna transform him into truck mode..." (looks at clock) "...but I have to leave in twenty minutes, so I probably don't have time."

• Like Like x 1
  13. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It has taken a while for me to get comfortable transforming him. Especially avoiding popping off things like his head plate and passenger side windshield. Or getting everything to tab in place. Or transforming his feet. Don't know why I have such a hard time with that.

But eventually I've gotten this all mostly down and can transform him somewhat quick. And he has grown on me. This is a pretty great Optimus Prime figure. I think it's the best Voyager I've owned. I wouldn't expect to get anything better at less than the Masterpiece level. His only competition is my WfC Optimus Deluxe. That's a nice figure too.

• Like Like x 4
  14. savio-prime

savio-prime Autobotist

Ebay:
    Unwatching...

15. Yaujta

Yaujta Split second of divinity... Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Okay, some like it and some don't. We are all entitled to our opinions without having to defend them.
    Personally, I think Classics Prime is still an awesome toy. I just think Siege and now SS-38 are better all-in-one figures.

• Like Like x 7
  16. Rob

Rob IDW FOREVER

News Credits:
    So while I love this figure I still think I like Siege Voyager Optimus and Magnus (and likely by extension Galaxy upgrade Optimus) more. This figure looks beautiful no doubt, but the Siege counterparts look great and are so much fun to hold and interact with.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Negronicus

Negronicus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Gi joe level articulation with a robot mode that almost entirely eliminates all kibble and a fantastic g1esque alt mode. What more do you people want in an optimus figure outside of a miniaturized peter cullen inside of him speaking lines all the time? He’s even more awesome when you consider the budget constraints hasbro has for figures

• Like Like x 6
  18. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Perverted Sociopath™

News Credits:
    So, I’ve done a couple of reviews on my favourite faction’s leader, Megatron, perhaps it’s time to look a the opposition. he’s had a new toy released recently, tied with a very successful take on the Transformers franchise. Probably one of the most successful ones in recent years.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Actually, I think this is a good way to try something new. DOUBLE REVIEW AND COMPARISON. Let’s have a lot at the two most recent takes on the optimal one. Considering these are probably the best takes on their respective franchises for some time.

[​IMG]

So here we have two takes on the classic Optimus Prime G1 mode, one obviously taking far more cues than the other. Siege Prime is essentially how your ageing brain remembers what your original G1 prime looked like. He does a great job or taking the G1 design and updating it enough to be a fully self-contained robot with modern toy making technology being used to great advantage. He’s also got great proportions, especially in contracts to the other faction leader. Siege Megatron looks like a big bulky bruiser, all upper body strength with his wide barrel-chest, like a wrestler or heavyweight boxer. Prime meanwhile, has a more Mixed Martial Arts frame. The strength is all there, but more evened out. The colours are lovely and vibrant, even accounting for the siege “battle damage”. And honestly, that head sculpt is the best I’ve seen on pretty much any Prime toy for years. He also has just the right amount of detailing to keep him interesting, unlike some Siege figures where it’s like someone went a bit overboard with the dremmel, such as Shockwave.

As for the rest of his looks, his head sculpt is the quintessential Prime head, it ‘s just perfect. I can see someone having problems with the short smokestacks, but honestly, you should be used to that by now. The arm kibble is a little annoying, but I’ve seen worse ways to handle it on non-Masterpiece figures and it doesn’t get in the way of his articulation, which like all Siege figures, is fantastic. Full waist, knee, ankle, arm and swivels all over. Accessories wise he comes with his gun and a pretty cool transforming shield/axe. And since he’s a Siege guy he has all the ports for the liens weapons or weaponisers like Sixgun. So you can make Gunimus Prime.

[​IMG]

Studio Series 38 Prime (Now SS 38 because I can’t be arsed typing the full name constantly) besides the obvious aesthetic differences, does have one advantage over its Siege counterpart. A higher budget. Since the SS Voyagers cost more than other voyager sized toys, they get a bit more to work with. Not necessarily in terms of paint, as this version of Optimus he has a lot more separate parts, a more involved transformation and, and a more sculpted, mechanical detail. And it works wonderfully.

This is what the movies should have been all along if you ask me. Now that’s not to say the other movies designs are bad (well some are) but a lot of them never really felt like their characters. The more skeletal version of prime never really worked for me, mainly cos it took them a long time to work in toy form. Even then the best versions of them always leave a little something to be desired, as the Evasion Mode Optimus from Age of Extinction, while cool still felt off to me. This guy? Oh boy, does he look cool, if a little busy. There is a lot of sculpted detail here. Not as much as some voyager but it’s enough to make me think that this could work in a live-action setting, which is entire;y the point. Hell, it even has similar arm kibble to the Siege guy.

He does have a lot more moving parts to him but still has pretty much the exact same amount articulation as the Siege guy. However, since he’s mainly made of panels, stuff gets in the way of each other a lot more than on the Siege guy, especially around the waist. The backpack, while not as noticeable as on Siege Prime, does actually get in the way of his legs backwards motion as well.

Speaking of the legs, they look skinnier than the Siege’s, they’ve got roughly the same mass because of the wheels. They’re essentially “constructed” from the rear of the truck, rather than being a solid piece with flipping wheels ala other Prime. It’s quite a feat of engineering actually but does make him feel a little less solid in that area.

And that head sculpt! Like, I said the Siege guy has THE quintessential prime head, but this one is just so bloody nice., With sculpted vents, nice bits of silver detail on his “cheeks” and even has parts of the side picked out as robot-ears. I honestly can’t decide which is better.

Wait, SS 38 has longer smokestacks. WINNER.

All joking aside I really do like him. In terms of aesthetics, I’m not a huge fan of the duller colours used compared to the more cartoony Siege prime, but it works in this context.

Accessories wise he comes with a gun. It’s a nice gun. I like it. But there’s not much more I can say about it. It feels more like an actual gun made to look like Optimus’ Ion Blaster. Good, but maybe a smidge generic.

[​IMG]

It might just be me, but he also feels a little more anime-esque, and as such looks are really good next to Maketoys Rioter Despotron I last reviewed.

[​IMG]

Now the transformations on both these guys are fun. They’re both more involved than you think…and I gotta say I prefer Siege’s. It’s relatively simple yes, but it’s fluid. Nothing gets in the way of anything else, and it’s fun. SS38’s has some of the same steps, but you kinda disassemble the whole thing and put it back together to form the truck. It’s not a bad one and is as I said, far more involved than the Siege’s, but it’s more widely because of that, and it’s easy for parts to bump into each other.

Still, when you get right down to it, it becomes a bloody good looking truck.

[​IMG]

These both look great. But let’s face it, the Siege guy is trying to convince you it’s a space truck. I mean yeah you have that hover mode, but it’s a G1 cartoon truck with extra headlights. It’s a good truck mode, but if you want a more realistic one, the Studio Series has it in spades. All those panels that get in the way in bot mod and make the transformation a bit of a faff make one excellent looking truck.

So honestly I like both of these guys? Despite their similarities, I don’t feel daft for owning two flat nose G1 styled Voyagers. They bring enough differences to the table that I can enjoy both of them. If I had to choose, the Siege guy would edge it slightly for me due to the brighter colours, and slightly less annoying transformation. But I’m glad I have both. They’re equally good at doing their own thing despite being very much the Robot Dad we all love.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  19. Bumblejazz

Bumblejazz Your new best friend

News Credits:
    20190427_144433.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  20. NemesisJazz

NemesisJazz Well-Known Member

Ss38 with a brighter disposition (thigh and crotch repaint) IMG_20190428_105357716~2.jpg IMG_20190428_105458183~2.jpg

• Like Like x 10