Studio Series #34 Megatron

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Starscream Gaga, Jan 23, 2019.

1. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz #BringBackNationalDex

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Can Optimus hold the shotgun?

So if someone has DOTM Optimus they can pose him with it ready to Double Tap Sentinel?

2. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Yes he can. I don’t have a sentinel though.

5DC49AB7-3014-4395-A0BC-26F484509F8C.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  3. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz #BringBackNationalDex

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    It’s good enough. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  4. f-primusunicron

f-primusunicron Unicron Herald BladeZero

News Credits:
    If only there were a way to make the legs not look like bricks...

5. WEEGEE

WEEGEE Look a doggo! How c00t! He thinks he's an avatar!

News Credits:
    Does anyone have pics of him next to grimlock and blackout?

6. f-primusunicron

News Credits:
    found these on the internet, apparently they are on instagram

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Pixelmaster

Pixelmaster Active Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Bought him a few months back and played with him for a pretty long time. Unfortunately no pics as I didn't bring him into Australia and considering I'm a little depressed now I'd thought it would be a good time killer if I contributed to the thread.

My thoughts on this guy is that he's a mixed bag. I'm a huge fan of Dark of The Moon when I was a kid (seriously; it blew my third grade mind off), and "Mad Max Megatron" was one of the highlights in the movie, so as a kid I bought the Cyberverse Megatron and the voyager one; and seeing him getting the SS treatment is a real joy... in paper. In reality, he's a mixed bag.

*Do note that I'll make comparisons between SS and the previous two toys but the Cyberverse and Voyager class toys have vanishe under the ravages of time and as such it will be very much based on memory and I am going to apoligze in advance if I get some things wrong.*

The positives:
    Firstly, he is much more well proportioned. He lacks the bumper boobs, and as a whole lot doesn't look like a decomposing hanging chicken you see in an Asian restarunt. Moreover, his over silhouette is much more movie accurate.

There's a lot of sculpted detail fresh off from Paramount's CGI files. For example in the alt mode, there's even a skull there! The sculpted bits bot mode are rather cool.

The shotgun is well painted so y'all didn't need to wait for 3 years for an Evasion mode Prime.

Articulation is pretty good for the most part. double knee joints (does it count?), rather large degrees of arm movement.

There's some pretty neat weathering for the bot mode. He's not great considering its Hasbro that's doing the paint job, but its still leaps and bounds better than the previous toys we were treated with.

His large size is rather intimidating and suits how he feels in DOTM-- he's a great compainion if you pick up DOTM Optimus.
    Igor is a nice bonus.

Soft goods are a huge plus. I never liked the voyager's cape since it looked like chicken skin, so having a properly colored soft good makes it better for photography since you can adjust it.

The chains allow the chest to pop up even more.

The cons:
    The engineering feels extremely underwhelming. I know that Megatron is the start of the godawful trend where all of the kibble magically disappears and fuses into something humanoid (a-la Knightimus Prime), but coming off the hot heels of TLK Voyager Megatron and ROTF voyager this feels kinda meh.

Essentially, his transformation scheme is untabbing the at mode kible and swing out his arms, and throw all of the front of the truck up to form the legs. It's so simple, with ROTF voyager flashbacks from both the original voyager and the Studio Series one. The engineering just feels like the designers stopped halfway.

Although it is interesting considering he's not executed in a standard deluxe route where the back is the roof and the sides of the car form the arms and the back of the car forms the legs, it just feels like they've forgotten to try and manage the kibble, resulting the bot mode look just as blocky as your child's Minecraft character.

The sides of the robot mod econtinue the curse of "hallow studio series megatron", which sucks considering the designers could've made the oil tanker part open to alow some of his kibble to slide in, a la MPM Megatron's nosecone. Again, I'm not a designer, so I'm not sure would it be a viable option.

Moreover, his alt mode feels like a mess. It is well sculpted and detailed, yet lacks the paint to pull off the ragged, weathered look or to highight the details. Remember the skull I just mentioned earlier? Well, its painted in in tan, just like most of the truck bits! Moeover, the truck bit is hallow due to how its folded up to become Megatron's legs, and don't get me started on the hallow back of the tab. It looks disgustingly cheap.

Igor is also on the "meh" side of things too. His arms CANNOT stop popping off for some reason. The same goes for his arm panels. I know that I'm not the only one since Emgo and the convention displays also have them untabbed.

Overall, it just feels that DOTM Megatron got the short end of the stick because the budget all went to Jetfire (which is amazing, considering he's both screen accurate, high part count, you can take him apart so you can combine him with Optimus Prime!), resulting in interersting engineering ideas that are there, but are never expanded upon.

However, its selling points are being much more well proportioned and well sculpted, resulting in a pretty awesome looking robot mode (if you ignore the vehicle kibble), and it is fairly well painted.

The golden question boils to: he worth your money? Well, it depends on how attached you are to his portrayl and design in DOTM. Personally, despite being a huge fan of Bayverse Megatron (yes, I am very well aware he's poorly written) and most of his designs (TLK jet mode is a little off and he feels more like a Dark Souls boss than, well, a Bayverse Megatron), I'd say that he's not really worth it.

The part count is puny compared to Leader Class Jetfire. I would've liked it if his price dropped down to 40 US (I paid 460 HKD for that boy early so its a little yikes), and the postives of this release only really shine on the bot mode, but even then the half assed engineering really comprises the beauty of a good bot mode.

Overall, my conclusion is:
    Despite having well sculpted details and a much more well proportioned body than its previous toy incarnations, DOTM Leader Megatron falls short in terms of its engineering, with some interesting ideas that are never explored. The robot mode has some decent paint apps, but its alt mode feels like an unpainted model kit and its hallow cab is an eyesore to look at.

Final Score:

6.5/10

• Like Like x 1
  8. f-primusunicron

News Credits:
    Could someone just put the smokestack panels floating on the sides of his legs so at least the rest of the leg doesnt look like a brick? How is that nobody has ever tried that?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pixelmaster

Pixelmaster Active Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I think I've tried it before and honestly it doesn't work. The problem is that his entire cab wraps with the gas tank at the back to form the legs. It's also why the cab is hallow too. If you really want the legs to stop being a brick I'd imagine you'd need to re-engineer a big portion of his lower body.

10. f-primusunicron

News Credits:
    as a 3d designer i think only the panel where the smokestacks are needs to be replaced

11. Fallout

Fallout i can't hear a thing on the radio

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    yo, any pictures/size comparisons of him with battle blades optimus? they're closer in scale than the ss optimus, at least in alt mode

12. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    Has anyone figured out how to make his can sit flush on the ground in truck mode?

Not sure if you still needed these, but here you go:
    20191105_194202.jpg 20191105_194216.jpg 20191105_194231.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  13. sideswipe29

sideswipe29 Collect what makes you happy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    My biggest frustration with this figure is how the hips constantly bump up against the torso so it can never sit flush.

Has anyone tried doing some surgery and cut away some plastic from those areas to make it all sit properly?

14. jru42287

News Credits:
    Yeah, that is really frustrating. I have not tried anything yet, but I'm not sure if it bothers me enough to try to fix it.

15. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  16. jru42287

News Credits:
    Sorry, meant to say cab. My phone has a mind of it's own when I'm typing, I've found.

• Like Like x 1
  17. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes.

The tabs behind the cab that are supposed to keep the front end aligned don't nest properly into the slots above the rear wheels, pushing the cab up at an angle. You can see how the "T" - shaped tab doesn't rest flush with the "U" shaped slot, leaving a significant gap.

I kinda suspect that on the original design, the slot was cut all the way through "| |" . But then the design was proven to be fragile, so the extra bottom chord was added to reinforce it, turning the channel into a "|_|" shape instead. But the T-shaped tab was not shortened accordingly to accommodate this change, so now it rests higher than it should and pushes the cab out of alignment.

Cut a notch out of the bottom of the T-tab so that the top of the T rests flush with the surface beneath it, and the cab won't sit with its nose in the air so much.

Note that you still probably won't get it perfect though. The cab is so light that there's practically no weight over the front wheels, so it still won't roll cleanly on a smooth surface. But it won't be permanently popping a wheelie.

• Like Like x 2
  18. jru42287

News Credits:
    Awesome, thank you!

19. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime End of Days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pics?

20. axl6533

axl6533 metal forever

News Credits:
    I still have mine in the box. Should I take him out of it, he's been their since July