Studio Series #34 Megatron

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Starscream Gaga, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I seen that tab day 1, and I always push it out of its cavity. No problems here, just dont try to click it in

2. kaiserlisk

kaiserlisk Squid Kid

News Credits:
    I don't know how to feel about him. In hand, he feels very fiddly, mainly due to some loose and thin panels.The transformation is also frustrating, although to be fair I am not in the right headspace. He's got very good sculpting and character and I'm sure he'll find a place in my collection in the future, but he just doesn't feel worth it to me at the moment, not at $50.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  3. sideswipe29

sideswipe29 Collect what makes you happy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Just received this guy from an Ebay auction I won.

Managed to get him for 40 bucks shipped.

I haven't had a ton of time to mess with him but I'm happy that I paid that price. I think anything more and I would have been very disappointed.

He's certainly not perfect but this is most definitely my favorite version of Movieverse Megatron and I am very very happy to have a decent representation of him in my collection. The voyager wasn't bad but it just wasn't accurate. This hits all the right notes.

Maybe a 3rd party company will come out with a modified KO version or a company like DNA Deisgns will make a kit to fix some of the glaring issues like the torso coming untabed but for now, I'm a happy man.

(Pictures to come later. Just need more time when I'm not exhausted.)

4. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    Got this guy a little while back, thanks to the Target sale. He really does look good in bot mode, but yeah, he's far from perfect. Although, he's the best official representation we're ever likely to get of DotM Megs. One thing that really disappoints me is his lack of head articulation.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

I cant seem to get the body on right in truck mode and he doesn't sit on his wheels at all.

6. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just got this guy recently. Not my favourite SS release, but I like him well enough. He just doesn't look as "clean" as most of the other SS figures, as a result of all that ridiculous mass-shifting he needs to do. But I really like a lot of the engineering tricks put into him, and that level of mass-shifting is very impressive. It's nice to have some bulk on this design, as opposed to the scrawny-looking DotM Voyager (as much as I still enjoy that toy).

As for getting the front of his truck to sit properly level, it looks like he may have had a hasty re-design at some point that inadvertently knocks the truck cab out of alignment. Either the reinforced L-shaped tabs at the back of the cab are too long, or the slots that receive them on the back of the truck should have been cut through all the way. Whatever the case may be there, something will need to be trimmed down (I recommend cutting down the tabs behind the cab. They seem sturdier), because otherwise they cause the cab to get pushed up at an angle, hence the front wheels not touching the ground.

Either way, though, the toy still probably won't roll well except perhaps on a carpeted surface. Too much play in all the wheel bases with how everything moves and hinges, and there's not enough weight on the toy to force ground contact.

• Like Like x 2
  7. jru42287

News Credits:
    I have the same issue. His front wheels don't touch the ground.

8. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As I mentioned in my above post, the tabs that keep the front of the truck aligned with the rear are too long, and push the cab up at an angle.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime End of Days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Now that I've got mine in hand and played with him a bit, I am more impressed with the engineering than even videos showed me. He is still not my favorite leader, but I'm glad I have him as I love this iteration. Now to figure out what to do with my original Voyager.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime End of Days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Is it just me or does anyone else have issue getting the cloak on in a way that isn't totally dumb looking. The only way I can get it decent looking is to wrap the chain over it

11. MadMaximus

MadMaximus Well-Known Member

Burn it

• Like Like x 1
  12. Fito

Fito Little Buddy

So i got this one, and it surprised me so much that i wanted to write a couple lines after a life of lurking forums.
    I never got to see the original DotM Megatron because i stopped collecting for a while after the RotF and Animated lines ended, so i didn't have a chance to play with a "Meg with a cape".
    I usually ignore Megatron toys because i really don't like him as a character (except the Animated one), and i find the movie design the worst of all.
    But this one, while objectively not perfect for things most everyone already pointed out, oh this one i like. Yeah the transformation is a bit meh (the heck is going on with folding the arms), the cab is hollow, it's kinda small etc. etc.
    But i can't get over how cool the hobo Mad Max with a cape Megs bot mode is.

So yeah, there. I shouted my appreciation to the world.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    MASS SHIFTING IN PLASTIC, OH MY GOD

That first transformation is a doozy. Legs -> front 3/4 truck is intuitive enough, but the chest/arms is a whole process of trial and error that kinda demands a strong understanding of how TF toys function. Like one of those block puzzles where you have to make a sphere.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The truck has a lot of nice details sculpted on, though it's a shame that the cab itself is rather plain. The on-screen truck was all gnarled with rust and nets and tally marks scratched onto the doors, but the toy is really clean. Doesn't even have side view mirrors!

The front spikes being soft plastic is disappointing since out of the box they're warped into bending opposite ways. And it seems like the way they sit in robot mode forces them like that...

So I got three of these SS Leaders. All three have been a bit of a pain to transform, and two use a lot of hollow spaces to give the impression of size. That's kind of an annoying pattern, especially when the smaller sizes classes have been more solid, and especially when you're looking forward to the two that make up Devastator...

Still, for all the negativity in this thread, I'm quite happy with Megs and Igor.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  14. jru42287

News Credits:
    Honestly, the more I look at this figure, the more I enjoy it. Transformation is meh, but his bot mode just looks so damn good.
    20190612_223505.jpg 20190612_234434.jpg 20190616_235018.jpg 20190617_002439.jpg

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Astrotrain52

Astrotrain52 Former Green Kool-aider

Can anyone post a pic of the Studio Series Optimus mold (non-Bumblebee version) next to this guy?

16. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got you bro
    [​IMG]

17. Astrotrain52

Astrotrain52 Former Green Kool-aider

Thanks but do you have a side by side?

18. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom Well-Known Member

News Credits: