Studio Series 32 - Voyager 2007 Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Bumblejazz, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think this guy looks unequivocally better than the first with the exception of the wheel well not collapsing. Also, the front wells under his arms seem a bit more noticeable here, but maybe it will look better in hand.

I will say that despite some improvements like painted rims, he's still lacking quite a bit in the paint department. There's quite a bit of work that can still be done here, like the shoulder gas tanks needing to be silver, more flame work, and the orange fade on the front that seems to have been missing on the last several movie Primes.

• Like Like x 2
  2. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    I didn't realize how much of this was modified from the first SS release. I may actually end up giving it a try now

3. savio-prime

savio-prime Autobotist

Ebay:
    I just bought SS32 OP. Here's my immediate impressions.

Positives:
    The whole upper body (wider forearms, redesigned shoulders, taller neck, "Evasion Ops"-like chest windows and improved back design) in particular, is way more different from the SS05 than I expected. The brighter colors are much more pleasing and he did gain in height!!! The main body joints are snug and work very well!

They are welcomed changes for me. Plus, that blaster is sweet! I do like the more prominent neck because his head has better range of motion and stands out well. The upper body transformation is fresh and innovative. The look of the redesigned chest is fantastic. I'm so glad the wheels are painted too! With the right paint apps and maybe even future Reprolabels stickers, this can look quite awesome!

20190205_084328.jpg

Negatives:
    Well, the red plastic and several tabbing joints feels slightly more cheap to me than the SS05. I don't like how the gas tanks sit at the wrong angle, and I really don't like the huge gap behind his shoulders from the side view. It's a shame they left out the rear fender folding over the ankle wheel.

20190205_090913.jpg

Quality-wise, it's not that bad. Maybe a B or B- because mine had flash that I had to slice off with an exacto in a couple of spots.

The gray connectors for the sleeper panels on his back pop off too easily, and the wheels on his thighs don't plug in as snugly as I would prefer either. The forearm panels also intrude/ overlap into the space for his hands.

Overall, I think he's a good purchase.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    31946F98-E475-4F93-BCED-09E22A44CCB7.jpeg 1199FD27-CA84-4D1F-9B3C-D24D71322BE1.jpeg E1297458-0A8A-4FAB-828B-C546A123B8E4.jpeg 6B0B01EC-72C3-42D5-A0E4-329876264035.jpeg

• Like Like x 16
  5. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The painted silver piece on his forearm should actually be red. Does anyone know if it's red plastic underneath? Any tips for stripping the paint?

6. egrudzin

egrudzin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Any one else have super tight knees? I guess that's maybe for the combined mode weight? It's so tight on mine that moving them also move every other joint on the toy. Loosening the screw doesn't do anything either.

7. Bumblejazz

Bumblejazz Your new best friend

News Credits:
    Yeah, the knees are pretty tight on mine.

8. MadMaximus

MadMaximus Well-Known Member

Hey everyone. Quick tip: put a drop of dish soap on the knee joint and bend it to work a little into the joint. This helps slot and in the long term will prevent stress marks and breakage.

Tightest joint on a TF ever!

• Like Like x 1
  9. 009*

009* That Guy In Nebraska

News Credits:
    I got mine today from Target. Weird how adding the swords makes it a mini MPM4.

• Like Like x 1
  10. savio-prime

savio-prime Autobotist

Ebay:
    I have no plans to make use of his combiner functions, so I did the following. I swapped out the head (because I already painted it) and shoulder pads with the old ones and, but I did 3 "heavy" mods to this Prime.

1. I cut out the center of his ab cover so it's 2 pieces. Looks waaaay better imo.

20190212_130211.jpg

2. Turned the loose friction joints of his back sleeper panels into pinned joints, so they cannot pop off.

20190212_102432.jpg

3. Turned the loose friction joints of his hip (front) wheels into pinned joints, so they cannot pop off <-- super awesome now! Practically ratcheted!

20190212_102404.jpg

I was able to split the thigh halves with a razor blade (because they were super glued), and switched the lower legs from the thigh swivel. He's what I found.

20190212_105600.jpg

The lower legs are indeed different lengths. The newer legs are longer.

20190212_110251.jpg

You have to move the new leg out this far (pic below) to match the height of the old leg.

20190212_110810.jpg

Sadly, the old legs won't work for me because I want him to be taller.

I also switched out the front half of the thighs with the old ones (also already custom painted) and the wrists too (because I don't want them to be grey). I don't mind that the wrist joints are of the darker red.

20190212_132217.jpg

Also, currently working on modifying the gas tanks so they sit at a better angle on his back!

• Like Like x 14
  11. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Those mods all look great. I love the added pins. Any tips on how to do something like that? I've never added pins to anything before but I'd like to for him. Where does one find the right size pins? Is there anything to know about how to drill out the joints so they don't go crooked?

• Like Like x 2
  12. MadMaximus

MadMaximus Well-Known Member

I love what you did cutting the middle part out of the chest I did the same thing within seconds of seeing your picture

• Like Like x 1
  13. savio-prime

savio-prime Autobotist

Ebay:
    Well, I cut the pin lengths to the width of the hinges using an electric cut off wheel.

The pins are 0.078 thick, so I chased out the existing holes with a drill bit that size. The existing holes helped to act as a "pilot hole" to keep things straight.

14. savio-prime

savio-prime Autobotist

Ebay:
    Sweet! Turned out good?

15. savio-prime

savio-prime Autobotist

Ebay:
    WiP gas tank mod, transformable...

20190212_150608.jpg

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  16. 009*

009* That Guy In Nebraska

News Credits:
    My work on this figure isn't quite as extensive, I'm just using gundam markers to paint sections that aren't painted, like the back of the legs and the official blue sections of the arms.

17. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Medic TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's been nine years. Time to see how far we've come. Time to decide, once and for all, which is the superior Movie Trilogy Prime.

1.jpg

Vehicle Mode:
    Battle Blades clearly wins this category, owing to the accurate details and overall superior paint applications. That truck looks like it rolled off the big screen. SS Prime is serviceable, but it fails to capture the iconic look of the Autobot leader's truck form.

2.jpg

Robot Mode:
    The SS Voyager takes the lead here. Battle Blades is fairly screen-accurate, but the SS Voyager's profile, color scheme, and proportions are superior across the board.

3.jpg

Engineering:
    Both have an intricate transformation that can be rather fiddly. I personally find the SS transformation more satisfying, and its backpack is far less obtrusive, but Battle Blades is arguably better when it comes to truck parts ending up where they should, and there is something to be said for its artful weapon integration. This one ends in a draw.

6.jpg

Articulation:
    This is where the SS Version truly shines. It boasts a waist swivel, wrist swivels, a ball joint at the neck, and excellent stability. The Battle Blades Voyager sorely lacks all of these. For me, this is what puts the SS version over the top. It is an action figure in every sense of the word, and capable of pulling off some very dynamic poses.

4.jpg

Verdict:
    Battle Blades stood as the definitive Live Action Voyager Prime for nearly a decade, and while its truck mode remains head and shoulders above anything in its size class, Studio Series Optimus Prime Version II does everything else equally well or better. Of course, this is all just my opinion, and in the end, it comes down to where your priorities lie.

• Like Like x 13
  18. Pcm979

Pcm979 Well-Known Mimber

Can someone who can get his truck nose to tab together properly take some pictures of it from underneath, please? I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

IMG_0694.jpg

19. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Medic TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It looks like you've done it right. From here, I had to push pretty hard to get the grill to snap together. I think that's the issue.

20. Pcm979

Pcm979 Well-Known Mimber

My Prime's grill does not clip together on the bottom. I've put it in a clamp and tightened it down. It simply doesn't. I figured it wasn't supposed to.

IMG_0700.jpg

If that ridiculous little nub on the bottom is supposed to be a clip, it's simply not strong enough for the job. There's no sensation of clipping or effort at all when I push the pieces past each other. I figured it was just a guide piece.