Studio Series 21 ROTF Starscream

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Shmoptimus Prime, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    I think you should check it out in person to see how you feel about it. I just got mine and inaccurate as it is, it looks striking to me in person. It's not as monotone as the 2009 ROTF voyager and DOTM deluxe from 2011.

What SUCKS is that I found out mine has 2 of the same rear landing gear. What the hell. Very hard to tell from the packaging.

2. Codeveronicaxxx

Codeveronicaxxx Goddomasuta member

News Credits:
    Sorry, I meant that I think it looks good so I didn't get all the negativity. If I bought more movie stuff I'd probably go for this. The tats are very nostalgic.

3. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    If you do decide to get it, try to check the heels/rear landing gear in the box. They're hard to see, but if you have 2 of the same heel, the balance will be off. The reason being that the heel has a flat surface and is parallel to the bottom of the foot. If you have a duplicate heel, the other side(mine was put on reverse), will have the wheel on the bottom and it's not parallel to the bottom of the foot. So it'll stand uneven.

What the hell....the hollow part of the heels is even marked left or right(like "L1")....the factory worker put 2 L1 heels on mine.

• Like Like x 3
  4. BlackHawkOmega

BlackHawkOmega Just trying my best.

News Credits:
    It... doesn't look that bad. Like, the two panels on the jet is hard to ignore, but the rest looks fine to me.

5. ACMagnus

ACMagnus Phantom Thief

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    There was something that always felt off about this repaint to me. I get that it's to differentiate the two Starscreams, but the colors seem a little too bright and contrasting to me.

6. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Never liked this Cybertronian tattoo painted over an Earth jet mode so there was no incentive for me to get this version anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    There's a (very thin) explanation for it at the end of the reign of starscream comic (which is great, if you ever get a chance to read it), but it never made much sense to me either.

• Like Like x 2
  8. rego0012

rego0012 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Found this in store the other day, It looked pretty bad.
    The paint apps are just random colors they picked out to throw on his face and body.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Mudslide

Mudslide Eyes rolled so hard they fell out of my head.

Ours must have been assembled by the same person. Mine is missing the panel that covers his head in jet mode. Didn't even notice it until I had him out of the package and transformed.

10. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    It grew on me. I can see why some of you don't like it though.

I'd like to think Michael Bay through a jpeg printout of 2007 Starscream in a closed container with C4 and the remnants of it became the basis for the tattoos in ROTF.
    That's what I hate, assembly errors that might not be visible until you open and transform the figure.

11. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Mihono Bourbon's hero

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    It's funny because I just bought this for completion's sake (and to have a "correct" starscream to stand with ROTF Megs) , I didn't expect to like this as much. Then I got him out of the box, had him in some poses and I ended up really liking him.

• Like Like x 3
  12. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

I'm happy with my moviec1 ss so this is an easy pass for me

13. OVR_RUN

OVR_RUN Jazz Meister

News Credits:
    Is it me or is the one thruster in alt mode missing it's tattoo paint app? I noticed a lot them are missing it. Even mine. Otherwise I am really enjoying this recolor with the new accessory. It's not a bad figure. Yes the two plain black plastic bits throw the alt mode off but it's not that terrible.
    The biggest thing that throws the alt mode off for me was the missing paint app as I stated above and highlighted in my attached photo.

20181127_183629.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Huh, didn't notice that, but mine's like that too.

15. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I only want this for the saw weapon. I never liked the tattoos myself. I vastly prefer the USAF two-tone scheme, which is one of the reasons why I love the first SS voyager to death.

• Like Like x 2
  16. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What's the difference with so called unpaintable plastic? Why is it used over the paintable variety in some areas?

17. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yup. Everyone praises the HFTD Leader figure but I just can't get into it even though I own one. Those tattoos are just terrible, and suck up the paint budget too so the other areas on the toys that have them look really bland. I used to gnash my teeth that MPM-01 is so expensive on the aftermarket, but thanks to the first SS I no longer care.

• Like Like x 2
  18. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "Unpaintable" plastic, IIRC, is a nylon blend of some sort. It's a sturdier, slightly flexible plastic that doesn't permanently deform easily, and as such is frequently used for joint work. However, as suggested by the colloquial nomenclature, the factory paints don't adhere to it at all. You can usually recognize it at a glance by its waxy look and slightly rougher texture.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the color / paint app layout on this guy doesn't scream "premium" the way the first Studio Series Voyager Starscream's does. If we're going for accuracy, it should ideally just be the same exact deco as the first one with the tattoos on top, right? I get if they need to cut a few of the F22 paint apps to even it out, but now we're back to the light tan instead of the grey, which is not accurate. Also don't like some of the really dark colored plastic used in some areas, like the piece behind his head.

• Like Like x 2
  20. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    I just saw ROTF Screamer in store today for the first time. I admit I was waiting for this version and passed on the 2007 version. But after seeing it in person...I had to pass. I liked the tatoo apps but what bugged me is the plastic itself and how it looked overall. It looked too plain overall and didn't really contrast well to me. I think the 2007 looks better with the two tone colored plastic for jet skin areas and it blends in better overall when he is in robot mode.