Studio Series 1986/Non-live Action Movie Debate/Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Shin Densetsu, Jun 5, 2020.

1. doomtron

doomtron Hunter

News Credits:
    I'd pay extra for a Galvatron with some upgraded paint apps.

2. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

People are surprised at this? Did they really think Hasbro would cross the line of putting G1 in Studio Series to only make Gnaw and Grimlock? :confused: 

Re: Devastator
    If Hasbro does revisit G1 Devastator at some point (Which I think is inevitable, he's the most popular combiner ever and the CW attempt was....flawed, let's say), I think they should handle them similarly to the ROTF team, focus on each individual member and make them as good as possible. This would also be a whole lot easier to design than ROTF Devs, and they've got lots of other versions they can draw inspiration from.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 10
  5. thundercrackalacking

thundercrackalacking Well-Known Member

I hope it is a sub line like they did for movie Masterpieces. Even though I don't buy the MP line, I can understand how it irked collectors by numbers who didn't want Beast Wars in the same numbered line.

I associate Studio Series with the live action line, adding the 86 movie seems a bit tacked on. If it was always the goal, they could have added a few characters earlier. I'm not complaining though, curious to see how the 86 characters will turn out (Slag one of my favourites) and will pick up any movieverse characters I like. Been holding out on the DOTM Sideswipe for years hoping for a ROTF version plus waiting for Dino.

• Like Like x 1
  6. firelancer120

firelancer120 Active Member

Dont see how. Studio series is doing movie figures the 86 movie is a movie. Theres honestly no technically about it. The transformers more then meets the eye movie is a movie qnd therefor should be covered by studio series. People bitch need to stfu and let the g1 fqns finally get their 86 cast. Be patient for once. Nonstop no g1 bs has been coming out pre siege, and the bit of g1 we got was hot garbage. All the other sublines of transformwrs got decent figures. Its g1 figures turn.

You people are only bitching becuase hasbros finally not only focusing on the other remake/reboot lines and making the g1 fans our cast. How bout just do this thing called wait on the sidelines and watch the waves, like all us g1 ERs did while thw Bay crao vame out and the lines that accompanied it.

7. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    Can you tell me what continuity these represent, if not G1:

-Classics Hot Rod
    -Titans Return Hot Rod
    -Power of the Primes Rodimus Prime

-Classics Ultra Magnus
    -Combiner Wars Ultra Magnus

-Universe Springer
    -Generations Springer
    -Thrilling 30 Springer

-Thrilling 30 Arcee
    -Titans Return Arcee

-Generations Wheelie
    -Titans Return Wheelie

-Generations Blurr
    -Titans Return Blurr

-Generations Kup
    -Titans Return Kup

-Universe Galvatron
    -Titans Return Galvatron

-Universe Cyclonus
    -Combiner Wars Cyclonus

-Generations Scourge
    -Titans Return Scourge

plus their endless variations and rereleases, particularly for the Universe Cyclonus and Classics Hot Rod molds.

If by some miracle none of those are updates of the 1986 movie characters, can you tell me what continuity THESE represent (along with their existence promising more in future main lines), if not G1:

-Siege Ultra Magnus
    -Siege Springer
    -Earthrise Arcee

If THOSE and their likely soon-to-exist kin are also somehow not G1 then I guess I can see how doing it all over again in SS makes sense.

• Like Like x 11
  8. R3M1NGT0N

R3M1NGT0N Well-Known Member

I agree that SS should cover the ‘86 movie because it is a Transformers movie. But you’ve gotten the ‘86 cast. Many times. You may not have liked how it’s done, but Hasbro has made those characters over the years.

The no G1 opinion only really became a thing in mid-2018 when people saw that WFC was going to be G1 inspired, and that Cyberverse and the Bumblebee movie were going to be heavily G1 inspired in terms of designs. This was coming off of 3 years of the G1 inspired Prime Wars, and even during that line there was variety with the movies and the cartoons being their own separate things with varying designs. And you may not like how some figures were done, but to say they were hot garbage is a bit absurd.

You didn’t get a bit of G1. You got a lot of G1. That was the whole purpose of CHUG and Prime Wars. Updates to the G1 characters as well as others. G1 and the movies have consistently gotten decent figures since 2007. If any sublines have been left out it’s BW and the Unicron Trilogy. They have yet to receive a line dedicated to updating them since the run of those series, and the updates they have received have been few and far between with mixed reception.

G1 has been receiving updates since classics started in 2006. People are not complaining about G1. It’s the foundation of the franchise. People are complaining about how it’s making it’s way into other sublines. People like variety and don’t want G1 designs to be in every part of the fiction at one time. And remake and reboot lines? WFC is a remake line, it’s remaking the old G1 characters that have been getting update for well over ten years.

Have all the figures been good? No. And you always had an option when the bay films were released. CHUG and Prime Wars ran alongside the films. And there were plenty of decent figures that came from those lines. You may not have liked those figures, and that’s fine. But you always had an option.

• Like Like x 5
  9. xd Accrocate

xd Accrocate Tell Megatron, 'Let's tango'

Instagram:
    You are correct.
    This is false. I assume you've been living under a rock since the WFC trilogy (ER atleast) has basically been mini masterpieces for the main g1 cast. And you had a whole trilogy (Prime Wars) and classics/universe before that. That's a lot of g1. Just look at the TFWiki articles for the PW Trilogy and count how many were g1 characters (spoiler: most of them)
    Not really. We got less than 10 BW figures in the entire CHUG run, and even less UT.
    There was ALWAYS a CHUG line running alongside the movies. Not anyone;s fault if you sat on the sidelines and didn't collect those.
    My point it, Siege and ER have been the best g1 has ever gotten. The idea here is that there was not much reason to shove g1 into studio series.
    Yeah, I agree with you here. I hope they only do the core- 15 or so g1 movie characters. I would have preffered to see the 86 cast in WFC, but i get why the anniversary is a big deal for Hasbro. And it seems like Warden couldn't let go of g1, so even though BW figures are appearing in WFC3, he probably made sure that the rest of the 86 characters went into Studio Series

• Like Like x 5
  10. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

Particularly with Warden leaving, I could see ALL of CHUG getting swallowed up by Studio Series with "theme waves" like Marvel Legends.

Marvel Legends manages something like a dozen waves a year without a need for separate Avengers, Spider-Man, and X-Men lines. Retailers choose which to stock. Some themes get 3-4 waves in a year. Some themes get 1 wave.

• Like Like x 2
  11. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    Kind of what's already happening. Studio Series is a Generations line as are Selects and the WFC trilogy. Same as how there are X-Men and Spider-Man under Marvel Legends and whatever else. Moving the other lines "into" SS would be a counterintuitive move.

• Like Like x 6
  12. R3M1NGT0N

I get where you’re coming from. But to me Marvel is far more popular than Transformers. There’s also a shared universe between all those characters. And Studio Series swallowing up all the other lines is improbable. All transformers lines say for the cartoon lines fall under the Generations banner.

13. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

Generations hasn't had a shakeup since Classics 2.0 became Generations aside from the trilogy concepts and scale focus.

I feel like the "Generations" name might have an expiration date even if the figures remain compatible. Brands eventually shake things up to get attention.

14. xd Accrocate

xd Accrocate Tell Megatron, 'Let's tango'

Instagram:
    There's no need to do something like that. Since Hasbro has basically perfected g1 at this point, I can see the next trilogy being mixed with characters from different universes just like Marvel Legends. We could have RID2001 Prowl, TM Cheetor, Armada HotShot in the same wave. And thats just 1 example. I really hope they mix it up like this, since SS in 2022 might be pretty full of characters from that new live action movie.

• Like Like x 1
  15. R3M1NGT0N

Not that Generations is in some serious trouble, but Prime Wars and WFC should have been branded as that. I consider Generations to be that period from 2010-2014. After that it didn’t feel like part of Generations, if that makes sense.

16. TheDude810

TheDude810 I have an unhealthy obsession with the RotF Game

It cracks me up that you frame it as if G1 fans are “starved” of figures, like there’s been some sort of drought. Avalanche has already reminded you that we’ve gotten figures of the 1986 countless times. We’ve gotten like 7 G1 Optimus Prime iterations in this trilogy alone with like 2 more on the way.

People are apprehensive towards G1 being in Studio Series because Studio Series is literally one of the ONLY lines that offer something that isn’t either G1 or G1 inspired. So, having that one line now suddenly make G1 figures that we have gotten countless times before is more than annoying to many.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    You're thinking of the season one cast.
    You have also gotten them many times.

18. HoneyBee86

HoneyBee86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    3DC5F3B4-7BE1-4B6B-98DC-4C9C10085B8E.jpeg With the amount of character there were that got new toys in WFC, you’d still have enough to fill a years worth of slots for SS

19. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

Everybody is going to get a lot of what they want when all is said and done. We will all share in victories and disappointments regardless of which generation(s) we are each interested in. The Bayverse stuff has had a great run in SS for a while now and will continue to see new releases. G1 will wrap up some more loose ends and give us, presumably, idealized versions of some characters whose prior toys don’t quite measure up and BW will finally get a spot on the center stage. And remember that Armada OP proto they teased a while back that seemed to vanish? That has to be on the horizon as well...along with more UT throwbacks. It is just going to take a while. Hasbro knows what they are doing. Companies spend a lot of time and money analyzing the market and deciding the what, when and how. Barring that goofy Botcon repaint, I had to wait 36 years for a toonish CHUG Ironhide with a battle sled. Patience. Compassion. Celebrate other peoples’ victories along with your own.

• Like Like x 7
  20. Patrickab7

Patrickab7 Well-Known Member

I buy what I like and pass on what I don't. I never got into Beast Wars, Unicron Trilogy, or Bayverse (personal preference), but there are still exceptions in those lines that I picked up. If I had the spare time I'd like to go back and watch through BW.

• Like Like x 3