Studio Series 18 Bumblebee

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Gallade, Sep 11, 2018.

1. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That does look miles better.

2. Gallade

Gallade HSR and Transformers Enjoyer

News Credits:
    Can I get a picture before I start shaving and cutting? Please. :) 

3. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 18
  4. h82blat

h82blat Well-Known Member

You don't need to mod anything to get into Alt mode.
    The legs slide inward at the knee joint. It's not communicated in the instructions.
    Check out optibotimus's YouTube review to see what I mean.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I'm well aware of that. They're actually moulded so that hinging them forces them together.

That still doesn't fix the doors being unable to peg into the thighs, or the roof popping out whenever you try to align and peg everything.

• Like Like x 1
  6. h82blat

After you get the legs/feet corrected it all tabs together fine. If you don't get the legs/feet correct, nothing will fit.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Yours might, mine certainly did not. It just wasn't possible. I had the legs connected every time, tabbed into the waist/back, it still popped apart. The legs had nothing to do with it, really. It was pegging the doors into the thighs forced the rear section of the vehicle mode to "squeeze" and pop the roof/hood up. It's easy to tell if the legs aren't tabbed together.

8. h82blat

Not just tabbing the legs together. They slide along the pin at the knee joint. Once you slide the legs, then tab them together, rotate the feet and tab into the back.
    If you don't do this, the Alt mode is impossible.
    Please make sure you are actually sliding the lower legs inward along the knee joint pin.
    Good luck

• Like Like x 1
  9. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I am, and I did. I don't know why you can't seem to understand this, I followed online instructions. It's not hard to figure out, and like I said the hinge the legs are on is sculpted so that they naturally slide together when you rotate them up. (Though it doesn't get them all the way together, but it's easy enough to push them the rest of the way) I slid the legs together, pegged them together at the knee, rotated the feet into position, everything you just said I figured out minutes after getting the toy. But it still wouldn't close properly for the reasons I explained. It simply couldn't, there wasn't room no matter what I did with the legs because the position of the thighs didn't match up with the doors, which has nothing to do with the legs below the knee.

Hell, when I had it disassembled I even transformed the legs by themselves, thinking maybe I just couldn't get them that hair closer that they needed to be, then reattached them and things still burst open. I had this figure for days before I finally gave up and modded it. I know how it's supposed to transform, but that counts for little with this figure. Maybe yours has the minute differences that let everything fit snugly. (I literally shaved off hair widths of plastic from the hinges) but mine sure as shit didn't.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  10. h82blat

Just to make sure you are clear, here's some screen shots showing the slider on the leg. I'd hate for someone to mod this toy because they don't understand how to transform it correctly. 'til all are one!

bb2.png bb1.png

Here's the YouTube video at the timestamp in questions (should be around 19:30):

Finally, some photos showing the figure properly transformed without any modifications:

bbimages.jpg reduced-galery_image_15216_30020.jpg Transformers Studio Series Volkswagen Bumblebee Movie Figure Gallery 05__scaled_800.jpg Transformers Studio Series Volkswagen Bumblebee Movie Figure Gallery 04__scaled_800.jpg

Have a grand day!

• Like Like x 3
  11. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I’m getting my second one in the mail today hopefully so this will be very helpful. Thanks!

12. Gallade

News Credits:
    I had the same problem. Did everything as told but the roof didn't sit flush for me. I don't know how I did it first time but I haven't been able to do it again.

13. Goldlock

Goldlock and don't call me Shirley

News Credits:
    Mine pegs together pretty well without cutting/trimming anything (after some parts massaging).

IMG_20181002_164615489.jpg

I agree with Split though, this feels like a toy that was designed to be bigger/have more moving parts, but was shrunk down or altered quickly before the toy went into production.

In case it helps anyone in some way, I've found pegging that backpack up for robot mode to be a tad easier by:

1. Making sure Bee's head is looking down
    2. Lining up the bumper behind the bottom of the head/neck
    3. Keeping the chest unpegged until the end
    4. Pressing down gently on the rotating chest/door pivot point as you squeeze the backpack into position (giving a tiny bit more space between the grey back and the area where the wheels & doors are)
    5. Crossing your fingers and praying to whichever god/gods you subscribe to

......This is a hard figure to love. Especially getting him the same week as PW Punch!

• Like Like x 9
  14. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Yes, dude, I know where the slider is. It still didn't help. It has nothing to do with the lower legs, the hood (well, trunk... the door on the front of the car where the spare tire would be) wouldn't peg in as long as the thighs were pegged into the doors. I've had this figure for over a week now (and despite all this trouble I still really like it) and I've examined it inside and out. I don't know if it's every copy (probably not) but mien simply could not transform correctly.

15. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Got mine from amazon today after two days as promised. Happy to have him again, and he doesn't have the chest issue that my last one had so hooray for that! I hope I don't encounter any issues when I transform him...

IMG_9169.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  16. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    It's amazing how this figure is so frustrating, but I like it so much because it's a character I like. Because even though the movie isn't even out, I've grown more attached to Bee through trailers and clips then ten years of the previous version.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Gallade

News Credits:
    Please do update me on what happens.

18. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not bad at all. It's a bit spindly and VERY backpacky compared to 'Bee's on-screen appearance, but I find myself a bit more forgiving considering its looks, articulation, and complexity at a standing height smaller than SS Jazz. (it's practically a "The Hybrid Style" toy sans minus some token metal bits.) Transformation, especially to car mode, is somewhere on the line between "challenging" and "frustrating", but gets a tiny bit easier with some practice, consultation of the instructions, and a more slow, methodical approach than you might use with other toys.

Gotta say though, I hope to see Has/Tak tackle this design again a year or few down the road, when they can attempt to make "Bumblebee Movie" Bumblebee, instead of "Concept art from a year before we finalized it" Bumblebee.

• Like Like x 7
  19. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Hell, I'll take another attempt as soon as possible.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I didn't even think of it like that, but I feel the same way. I feel like the first half of rotf was the last time they put any effort into making Bee relatable, and that seems like so long ago that I can barely even remember.
    Haven't transformed him yet but I will post an update! Hopefully all my tabs line up and everything.

• Like Like x 1