Studio Series 101 ROTB Scourge

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by R3M1NGT0N, Feb 15, 2023.

1. 1BLD

1BLD Well-Known Member

Right, I was going to make leader Primal my final ROTB figure, and call the set done, even lacking a Scourge. Then, I got one final chance to get this one, at Deluxe money even. And here we are, and I have questions.

• There has to be a lock for the smokestacks, right? Right? In either mode? The outer ones just droop, because of their centre of mass is not over the swivel. Can we really believe that no one at hasbro saw the lack of any locking point as a problem?
    • That truck mode is just unfinished, unacceptably so at full price. A big gap through the front hood, arms sticking out the back barely hidden. And the legs form an empty frame, with the canon arm forming a fig leaf of cover.
    • Ratcheted knees are technically nice, but if they break there's no getting in there, and any stability gain is undone by the loose ankles.
    • What's up with the ankle wheels? I guess they're supposed to slide in a mm or two, but there's so little visible effect I'd rather they hadn't bothered. And now two of the wheels feel like they're attached wrong with how wobbly the slide makes them. Bizarre.
    • The shoulder joints all feel wonky. The outward hinge is notably below the shoulder rotation, but the rotation itself feels like it should be centred on the shoulder pad, rather than at the top edge. I get why, given the engineering, but it all looks off.
    • Why is the sword permanently attached? I'd have taken two normal mounting points, over always having it awkwardly hanging off of his arm when trying to use his hand for something else.
    • Inaccuracies are forgivable, given that this was a first wave release. It's unfortunate that he saw so much change over the film's development. Ideal world, Primal would have been wave 1 since he didn't change massively, while Scourge would have been the leader released in time for christmas, and a bit closer to final. But, what can you do?
    • I also got SS Sludge for the same price today. Very different uses of budget of course, but Sludge feels comparably complex while being bigger. I also got SS Primal for more than this pair cost me a few weeks ago, but while he's similarly small, they hade sure he feels good, and chucked in a good amount of extras to make the price feel okay enough. Not great, but okay enough. Scourge is small, feels bad in multiple ways, and has the bare minimum number of accessories.
    Look, you can say that for much of this, I should have known what I was getting into. Thing is, for cheap I was hoping that the core would be salvageable enough that the additional expense for one of the upgrade to be a tempting process. DNA seems to do a good job between the two kits of making Scourge look a lot more right, but when the base figure they're going on just feels bad, adding bells and whistles seems pointless.

The way the front wheels stow away completely is neat, I guess? And in the process, he gets a hood chest in a very different method to the normal swing down approach. And my roof hinges feel fine for now, so he didn't immediately break there?

• Like Like x 3
  2. DX7879

DX7879 Captain of Strawhats

Actually came in to this thread to see if I'm missing something since they don't stay up at all!

• Like Like x 3
  3. 1BLD

1BLD Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's crazy amateurish, right? There's just nothing, and with the swivel on the side of the pipe, of course it's going to flop down. That's just a basic school mechanics problem.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Pixelmaster

Pixelmaster >implying toys are good

News Credits:
    Nothing starts a new year off better than with another Hasbro engineering moment
    IMG_5195.jpeg
    Seems like the issue is the amount of pressure when the hinge is pushed onto the two clear tabs in truck mode, which are supposed to stop the hinge from rotating even further inwards.

5. Denzimus

Denzimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ugh, im really contemplating if I wanna keep the DNA upgrade kit on preorder for this. I don't transform my toys a lot but still. This one just seems destined to fall apart in the future.

6. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

I am not sure what this photo is depicting. Can you explain?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pixelmaster

News Credits:
    Left side is snapped clean right off already.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  8. rego0012

rego0012 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They marked my order as shipped but never shipped it.
    If you haven’t already done it dispute the charge and get your money back. They seem to have gone in to hiding since November

they are now ghosting everyone

• Like Like x 1
  9. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Horrible that they did that. It's absurd that I ordered mine the second day it was available and I feel lucky to have even received anything!

I'll sell mine to anyone if they're interested. I'll charge the same as I paid, shipped.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ezim93

ezim93 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Going to do so but the bank is making me go through hoops. Have to try contacting Nova Forge even though I know I won't get a response.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Nemesis251

Nemesis251 Wakanda Forever!!!

Does the KOs of this figure fix any of the issues?

12. Pixelmaster

News Credits:
    No

• Like Like x 1
  13. NemesisJazz

NemesisJazz Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Damn i was hoping the ko will have better plastic. One panel broke on mine last night. The plastic didnt even crack, it just tore off? The pins also seem to be really attached to the plastic so repairing without gluing the hinge was a challenge. Unbelievable.

14. Nemesis251

Is the KO a 1:1 to the original figure? I can't find this figure anywhere.

15. OptimusTarzan

OptimusTarzan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I didn't even know a KO existed.

16. Nemesis251

Is there a way to tell the KO from the original?

17. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Generally KOs don’t copy the faction symbols.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Interesting thought/question: Since the legit Scourge figure has stolen faction symbols moulded on him, does the knock-off feature those symbols?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I would imagine not, but hey, some KO companies are more brazen than others!

• Like Like x 3
  20. Taureanstar

Taureanstar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I picked this up just cause it looks good and parts of the transformation seemed interesting. I didn’t have any breakage issues, but I knew going into it what to watch out for and made sure the fragile areas were as protected as possible.

But I just couldn’t dig it. The idea for the look is very good to me, but the execution was just so bad. This kind of figure is always not any fun- because somewhere between initial idea and production too many shortcuts ruined the figure. It’s skimpy, thinned out, and looks like it’s missing pieces in spots. I would totally get this if a version existed where it was solid and fully complete in both modes cause I like the idea of it

• Like Like x 2