Stratosphere concept art

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Novaxmaximal, Jan 6, 2024.

1. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    Like, any whatsoever would be nice. Bay was against the GI Joe crossover, for the record, and that still made it into the film, so...

• Like Like x 3
  2. ToaDraco

ToaDraco Lightning Strike Coalition Force

Ebay:
    I really like that original design and as much as I prefer it over what we got, I'm kinda glad they didn't use it because it is so Jetfire-esque that it would have been maddening for him to NOT be Jetfire. Just like with Wheeljack, my only real problem with Stratosphere's design is the freakin' head. Like, imagine how much cooler he would have been if they had given Stratosphere an MCU Vulture-esque head design instead of generic old man with a WWI pilot helmet and mustache. It would still have the pilot helmet look but a lot less goofy and uncanny.

3. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because he still signed off on it.
    If a thousand people get fired at Hasbro, you don't blame HR, you blame Chris Cox. There's no difference. Tell me who else is running the live action movie? Cable seems to have no say from his own admission.... So who else is there?

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheDude810

TheDude810 I have an unhealthy obsession with the RotF Game

News Credits:
    Michael Bay could be long gone 50 years from now and I’m convinced that you’d find some way to convince yourself that his disembodied head in a jar is still giving orders on the direction of Transformers 36

• Like Like x 4
  5. Dinobot Snarl

News Credits:
    It's like the fact that he and Lorenzo are still the producers, flies over your head.

6. troglodyteman217

troglodyteman217 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    directly below the enemy scrotum AKA Greece
    Love this design. Probably more than the final product. Honestly all Stratosphere designs have been bangers

• Like Like x 2
  7. Novaxmaximal

Novaxmaximal Senator Shockwave fan

News Credits:
    Stratosphere's concept of "giant robot transforms into giant x" is too cool to ruin it.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Cruxton Prime

Cruxton Prime The Fandom Prime

9. jru42287

News Credits:
    Why is Bay your personal boogie man? Just because he's one of the producers doesn't mean he signs off on everything (or possibly even anything). If you're really looking for the "CEO" of the movie, that would be the executive producer(s). In reality, it could have been any one of these people:
    Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 4.42.46 PM.png

You need to get a grip on reality and quite blaming everything on Bay just because you didn't like his version of the movies.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde 狡猾の死神

News Credits:
    He's definitely got a bit of a Jetfire thing going on, particularly the colors.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Novaxmaximal

Novaxmaximal Senator Shockwave fan

News Credits:
    I think he's going to continue hating Bay no matter what you say, I say just leave him with that thought and that's it.

The guy really looks like the toy version of Jetfire but "realistic".

• Like Like x 2
  12. Cruxton Prime

Exactly. The colors were certainly give away here. Not only that, he doesn't need to be old like bayverse jetfire. This would've been perfect on its own.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde 狡猾の死神

News Credits:
    As much as I love the Blackbird I could've done without the old man shtick, but that alt mode is pretty great for an iteration of Jetfire. Less grouchy old hunched over codger and more..

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. Cruxton Prime

I felt the same way. I did enjoy old grouchy jetfire but I felt it was unnecessary. I guess they wanted to show he was ancient since the prime Era based on his his character in the movie plus they killed him too quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dinobot Snarl

News Credits:
    It's not just Bay, it's Lorenzo too.

Okay here's a few good quotes, I'm sure there's more I can scrounge up.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TFW2023

TFW2023 Well-Known Member

YouTube (Legacy):
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Figure please 

• Like Like x 1
  17. jru42287

News Credits:
    Neither of those is really proof of anything. Ok, so I was wrong about "signing off on things", but if Bay was as influential as you're claiming, the GI Joe thing wouldn't have been in the movie at all. And just because a website refers to Lorenzo as a "mastermind" doesn't mean he is. He's still listed as just a producer, not an executive. Neither he nor Bay have final say in what ends up in the movie. Even if either one of them come up with an idea, the only way it makes it into the film is if the executives approve it also. There is nothing here stating that either of them directly approved what robot designs were in the film. If there were, maybe we wouldn't have ended up with that God-awful Mirage design.

• Like Like x 1
  18. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    I liked Jetfire for the same reason I liked Hound later on. They're a great way to play off how old these characters are supposed to be. I dunno if it's the same situation in Bayverse, but IDW (and other corners of the fiction) suggest Cybertronians can live for centuries if not longer.

So you get guys like Jetfire and Hound who've seen some shit in their time and play off that. And sure, Autobot Grandpa Simpson maybe isn't everone's cup of tea...but the end result is a pretty unique looking bot design that isn't just an explosion of parts like we saw in some of the later Bay designs.

I think of it in the same class as Crosshair's trenchcoat or Leadfoot's beer gut. It adds a bit of personality to the figure that comes through even if you're not familiar with them. And I don't need every rendition of Jetfire to have this...but it being a thing with Bay's is neat.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mudslide

Mudslide Eyes rolled so hard they fell out of my head.

One time Michael Bay came into my house and cut off all my Wheeljack's ears and glued glasses onto his face.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Dinobot Snarl

News Credits:
    Help me understand why you defend these two director/producers so ardently? They are the face of the live action franchise. Those other people listed are silent partners.