Stratosphere concept art

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Novaxmaximal, Jan 6, 2024.

1. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Some people say this looks generic when the final design just repeated the Jetfire joke. If anything, this design is a start of something more unique. It needs a few more passes, but I like this design take more, especially because I personally just hate how they like making characters look like caricatures of the human equivalent of what they're supposed to be. Stratosphere = old human pilot. Wheeljack = stereotypical human nerd. It's like the they think the audience is too dumb to understand a character's role without that aspect.

• Like Like x 8
  2. DriftsEdge

DriftsEdge The Keyboard Samurai

I happened to dislike both concepts art and final design for ROTB Stratosphere. He should have borrowed some design aspects from both TF2 Stratosphere (body) and HFTD Highbrow (face design).

3. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Really, so It's not common for the producers to have a say on what goes on in the movie? Especially when the director himself insinuates it?

That's like saying Cris Cox isn't possibly responsible for the ongoings of Hasbro.

4. MeGrimlock78

MeGrimlock78 In need of an Energon shot

The concept art feels kinda...TLK, or even AOE. I'm getting an ancient armour vibe offa it. If you told me that was concept art for Bludgeon during WWII, I would believe you. The final model looked much more like a British pilot, and not just becayse of the head/face.

• Like Like x 1
  5. VVa

VVa If you don't Booyah back I want you dead.

Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Jetfire as an old man was cool because he rambled a lot and existing was pain, but Stratosphere being old I guess made sense because he's an old plane, and was old?
    This looks awesome, though. They fucked up.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dexatronic

Dexatronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yep standard... We had to go with the lame ass cliche one tho with the goggles and stupid mustache for cheap comical value as always.

• Like Like x 2
  7. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    Where did I say that? Oh, I didn't, that's right. It's very telling that you automatically think anything you didn't like about RotB was automatically because of Bay or Lorenzo, though. Is this Bay Derangement Syndrome?

Again, if you've got any sort of proof to back up what you're claiming, then I'll listen.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    I certainly wouldn't mind a concept series or whatever of this guy.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SpangleZeKankle

SpangleZeKankle Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    A Gundam vibe is cool but it looks too much like existing ones, especially with the color scheme, they could have gotten sued for this. Plus I already liked the final Stratosphere anyways, I just wish he did more.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TheDude810

TheDude810 I have an unhealthy obsession with the RotF Game

News Credits:
    I had actually asked Eddie Del Rio on Insta whether he used the RotF toy as inspiration for the colorscheme, and he responded that it was a coincidence and that the colors just came to him naturally! Honestly, it’s a shame they changed it because fate would seem to indicate that it was meant to be. The colorscheme seemingly lasted all the way to pre-vis, too:
    upload_2024-1-7_21-25-21.png

I don’t actually mind the old man angle but I think it’s a shame that out of the four roughs they did exploring that concept, the picked the one that looks most like RotF Jetfire on the left with the cane…
    upload_2024-1-7_21-26-55.jpeg

This second one definitely leans too much into Jetfire with the head design too, but at the very least, the kibble of the chest, posture, and overally lanky proportions are way more unique and reminiscent of the original toy.
    upload_2024-1-7_21-28-32.png
    upload_2024-1-7_21-28-14.jpeg

The last two I think highlight the missed potential even more-so imo. His interaction with smaller wildlife like birds on the left gives a sense of scale and illustrates the caring nature he as an Autobot has towards Earth’s wildlife. The left has some cool things going on with him smoking a pipe and havinb the bigass forearms made up out of thrusters, probably referencing Popeye if I had to guess. There’s also a very toy-inspired head on both designs.
    upload_2024-1-7_21-29-31.png

• Like Like x 1
  11. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    It's entirely possible that was intentional in the off chance they wanted him to *be* Jetfire.

That's why it's concept art. You throw different things at them and they pick what they want.

It's just funny after months of begging for a Commander Stratosphere that suddenly now the pivot comes to "no actually that design sucks."

• Like Like x 5
  12. DeathsTreads77

DeathsTreads77 Four books into DUNE. Help

Duuuude. That's just awesome. I really like the ghost-esque skull face, and the spartan motifs. It's like the tlk designs of those really old characters- awesome designs, but good luck ever getting toys for them.

13. Dinobot Snarl

News Credits:
    I have enough proof.
    They are the producers, Bay and Lorenzo still have to sign off on things "like the Gijoe Crossover." They are essentially the CEOs of the live action Transformers series. What more proof do you need?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Trevor Belmont

Trevor Belmont Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't know. There's evidence that he had a great influence on Caple Junior. He said so himself.

And Stratosphere and Wheeljack just feel so much like Bay's bullshit that I think it's decently likely this is what happened

• Like Like x 1
  15. Metankgro

Metankgro Active Member

I\'ll be honest, he looks like a Gundam. I kinda like it but I\'m happy with what we got

• Like Like x 3
  16. Ilovetransformers22

Ilovetransformers22 Lover of all things transformers

News Credits:
    I like the robot design in the movie than the concept art depiction. The concept art makes him look like a robotic skeleton knight.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Dinobot Snarl

News Credits:
    The push back is so ridiculous it sounds it comes directly from Paramount. Of course these two meddlesome producers had their mitts on it. They are the ones choosing the final designs, it certainly wasn't Cable. He said so.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Johnson the third

Johnson the third Well-Known Member

its always bays fault! its never anyone else, only bay, he is the only one capable of making bad decisions

• Like Like x 4
  19. Purple Heart

Purple Heart I just want to enjoy the things I love in peace

News Credits:
    This is why we need a Stratosphere figure, so I can pretend I’m 11 again and play him fighting off hordes of Freezers and Scorponoks.

20. TF Hot Rod

TF Hot Rod Legacy TFA enjoyer

News Credits:
    The fandom’s something.

• Like Like x 2