storing un-displayed bots

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bucket Head, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Bucket Head

Bucket Head -*-

I have (reluctantly) decided to reclaim my basement for something more than just a geekgasm display center. I will be packing up all of my bots, save for MPs and 3rd party stuff. this will give me room to rearrange and utilize the space.

my question is, for those that packed up bots for storage, how'd you do it? I am dreading buying nine billion miles of bubble wrap and wrapping each individual figure. any suggestions from the masses?

bucket

2. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I just threw all my unused bots in a plastic tote and put it in the garage. If I thought they were worth something, I would have gone to more trouble than that.

3. xdmisato

xdmisato Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    the ones that I had their boxes, I placed them back. The ones that didn't, bought a few storage bins, transformed them to their vehicle modes then arranged them inside the bin carefully to avoid damage.

4. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    most of my toys are cheap enough that they're just in cardboard boxes under the guest bed. i only have 40 or so tho lol

5. Spark Extractor

Spark Extractor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Start an excel sheet
    Dust them.
    Wrap them up in this:bubble wrap
    Organize them by shelf/line/show/etc.. into boxes 12x12x8 (for example)
    Label boxes.
    Place boxes in 45 Gallon wheeled Sterilite containers.
    Throw in
    silica gel packets
    in the boxes and containers to help with humidity/mold/smell.
    Label the 45 Gallon Sterilite containers (Bin 1, Bin 2, Bin 3.....)
    Have excel sheet that shows example (Bin 1-Box 4-characters x,y,z etc...)
    Now everything is safe secure and organized for easy retrieval.
    You might hate doing it, or enjoy sifting through figures you haven't messed with for years, but when finished it will be well worth the effort.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  6. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Terrorcon King

Pretty much this. I organized them a bit to fit better (blocky cars and other large, wheeled vehicles on the bottom, planes near the top, everything else set in where it fits); some are left in robot mode because they take up less room than in altmode, and can be posed a little to fit in-between larger ones. Accessories (and smaller figures, IE Legends/Cyberverse/Mini-Cons) go in their own bin.

The only issue I have with this is the off-gassing - opening up one of the bins without a window open and a fan going is a heady experience :lol 

7. Cha Chi

Cha Chi Minimondomayhem

News Credits:
    With my cyberverse i put them in card board boxes but i make dividers within the box so its grided, then i can slot the individual bots in the box standing up which makes them easier to pull out when i want. Granted im going to end up with a few boxes so suffling boxes is required. Also it stops them clumping and scratching each other.

Easy to do with cyberverse maybe a bit more tricky bigger sizes.

8. mpau25

mpau25 Well-Known Member

i'm forced to store the bulk of my collection due to space. It's mainly G1 items, so I place accessories in a simple sandwich bag, transform the bot to vehicle mode, wrap in bubble wrap and then place in a plastic storage bin.

More recent items are usually a bit more durable so I generally just place them in a storage container with them in vehicle mode or whatever mode is more compacted. Usually bag up accessories

9. Goshjosh95

Goshjosh95 Decepticon

News Credits:
    I do something similar to this. I do keep a spreadsheet, so I know what I have (or if something is missing), transform into vehicle mode (more compact, less chance of damaging), bubble wrap them individually, store them in a sterilite container. Easy to stack & store. Silica gel packets is a good idea!

10. Spark Extractor

Spark Extractor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, this is for me the best way to store things. I put stuff in the smaller cardboard boxes in the Sterilite tubs just to make it easier to get stuff out. If I just put them in individually I'd make a mess out of everything just to get to one figure on the bottom of the pile.

The Silica Packets are good and really cheap. I just have the cheapest ones in my Amazon wishlist and whenever I need to bump something up by a few bucks to get free shipping I just throw some Silica Packets into my order.

But I'm probably weird in the sense that I kind of enjoy organizing and taking inventory of my collection.

11. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I use plastic drawers

12. Scar04c

Scar04c Big Game Hunter

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I have most of my collection in storage right now due to space constraints, so I understand. I have them in big plastic bins, all transformed into alt mode since it's less kibbly, then they go into Ziploc baggies with their accessories so nothing gets lost. The bins are marked all I know which line their from, and I sharpie the baggies in case I forget who someone is.

Been sitting them this way for ten years on and off, and they never have any damage, including chrome problems.

13. Bucket Head

Bucket Head -*-

I know a guy who has some collectible odds and ends that he seals up with one of those vacuum sealer do-dads. might be a good way to keep moisture out and loose parts from rattling around during transit. I suppose sealing up Fort Max, Unicron and my Zaraks might be a bit of a pain though!

thoughts?

bucket

14. scoobsterinc

scoobsterinc Scoobs

News Credits:
    When it came to decorating I had them all placed in a box and the vehicles went at the bottom and then anything in robot mode was place carefully to prevent damage. As for weapons I have a shoe box storing all the weapons that aren't on display.

15. NemiMonkey

NemiMonkey Whippin Dem Fungals

News Credits:
    I don't catalog my figures, but that's pretty much how I store them. Oh I also prefer Rubbermaid over Sterilite, just like the quality better, but they can be a real pain in rear to find. Normal sized are hard enough but the smaller sizes are even harder. The smaller work great for paperwork, accessories, and those small figs you have lying around. I also use one of the larger silicon packs like you'd use for hunting rifles and such. Not sure if it's more effective than the small ones though.

16. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  17. flatline72

flatline72 Banned

News Credits:
    the ones i don't want to display anymore either get wrapped in bubblewrap and stuck in a sterlite bin or

get pictured and ziplocked and goto the ebay cabinet in our garage and then get listed onto the ebay store that i have.