Storing the boxes of opened figures?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by joespags15, Jun 29, 2014.

1. joespags15

joespags15 Well-Known Member

So, I have always had this problem and now wondered if people have a great trick to storing the empty boxes of figures. Right now I just have them in big plastic bins, but Does anyone have a better space saving technique. The 3P figure boxes are quite big, along with the MP boxes. I have a hard enough time finding space for the figures let alone finding a good way to store the packaging.

2. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    i have a wall of them in a closet in my office.......its like tetris in there

3. yoonakron

yoonakron Welcome to you're "doom!"

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's the plastic inserts that are the annoyance. I could just flatten my boxes and stack them all, for all I care. But, you gotta have those inserts if you eventually want store/ship the figures.

In short, no, I have not found a way either, haha. You could probably use a giant U-Haul moving box and just condense/refit the toy boxes into that. So you'll have 1 giant box in a one spot, instead of 15-20 smaller boxes spread throughout. That's probably as good as it's gonna get unless you're willing to toss them completely.

^Yeah, pretty much that.

One day, a collector will rise from our ranks and use the power of spacial intelligence, to solve our storage problems.

4. craftsmith

craftsmith Flying Spanner

Ebay:
    cluttering my bedroom, the wifes not best chuffed. If I bin them and want to sell the fiures I lose money. gonna convert my loft into a man cave and use them as part of a display.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

this is only some of them I took pics of yesterday, was gonna post a similar thread, but unsure where.

5. Bucket Head

Bucket Head -*-

recycle

6. TheGame2K5

TheGame2K5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I pack mine in the large POL boxes from BBTS and store them in the space under my stairs out of the way. I have a few I like on display like the Feral Rex boxes. They are beginning to take up a lot of space though. LOL

7. Joevette8

Joevette8 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i keep my boxes in bigger brown boxes in my closet, its a constant shuffle and i am running out of room. Give it a year or so and i will need a bigger apartment. Especially with these giant figures (Scoria, Kronos, MP UM etc) coming out, their boxes are huge!

i'd love to have room to display some of them, one day

8. beigoma

beigoma Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

HasTak and the 3P's both have a bad habit of putting figures in boxes that waste tons of space, cardboard, and plastic. The worst offender is MP Soundwave. If you transform him to alt mode you can put him and all his minions into a cigar box. Of course it might be difficult to get people to pay $130 for him then.

9. TheGrognard

TheGrognard Well-Known Member

I chuck 'em. I live in NYC, I just don't have any room for them.

10. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

One of my display areas consists of two 20 gallon long aquariums stacked on top of each other, with enough space behind them so I can put boxes back there and use them as a display background. The ones that aren't used like that are makeshift risers for my 3P combiners.

Attached Files:

11. Elrodthealbino

Elrodthealbino Nerd Alert!

I spent an afternoon flattening all of my 3p and mp boxes and chucking them in the trash a few months ago. It was so freeing I recommend it to anyone. To be honest, in this day and age where it is easier to find a packaged example than a loose for new toys, there really isn't enough price difference to warrant ruining your life with all of those boxes.

Think of it this way: a 3p toy that typically sells for $100, can still be sold loose for $90 if there is any demand at all for the figure. And that is if you even decide to sell it. Is it really worth a potential $10 extra for something you may never sell to hold onto an empty box?

12. Alpha_&_Omega

Alpha_&_Omega From the Covenant of Primus...

50 gallon storage bins.... I must have 20-30 of them in my attic.

13. craftsmith

craftsmith Flying Spanner

Ebay:
    GENIUS

Valid points being made there.

14. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

This man speaks the truth. I used to keep all the packaging and inserts for my figures. After moving across the country a few times, I realized it's far easier without the packaging. Your collection will feel far less cluttered without them.

15. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

cut them!

16. Spark Extractor

Spark Extractor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm theoretically with you on the 'free yourself' nature of it all, but you could have sold the MP boxes on ebay. I sold my Hasbro MP Optimus package on ebay for $20 + shipping.

17. Crimson87

Crimson87 Senior Member

Its because of threads like this that I think a 3P company should do everything they can to condense the size of their boxes down to as small as possible including packing the bot in the most condensed mode with minimum plastic bubble.

I've often thought that a niche here would be a for another company to come in, condense the sizes down and normalize the box art for all of them. So, it looks like a uniform collection. No offense to those that do the art for boxes, but it really does look like a bloody mess when they're all together.

However most people keep the original box for maintaining value and doing something like this may end up decreasing overall value.

So far I've learned to toss all boxes from Hasbro, other than masterpiece. I'm thinking about doing a second purge of any 3P toys boxes that are less than 30 Dollars and slowly increasing the amount as I need to get rid of more for space. Few, i know.... but you have to start somewhere.

18. agentcastle

agentcastle crotchimus prime

We call it the "box closet" at my house... didn't start collecting until bought a house - can't imagine trying to hold onto boxes in an apartment

19. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    yeah eventually i will likely purge a bit of it, but i hang on to the 3p stuff if i think it might sell it or something like that my closet would look completely empty if i only kept MP stuff, but i have all my henkei box's and most of my 3p stuff unless i picked them up second hand.

if i would just get rid of the combiner boxes it would looks more empty, but that closet is a loss anyway its narrow and under the attic stairs

20. Joevette8

Joevette8 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    tell me about it, i have a studio. luckily with plenty of closet space (so far)