Stop Motion transformation Gifs

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by OptimusTimelord, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

Outstanding work as always! Just amazing! Especially your version of the Issue 5 cover. I was just showing my 9 year old son some of your videos and he said, "Wow! That guy is REALLY good!". High praise! :) 

• Like Like x 2
  2. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Tell him I said Thanks very much :thumb  :D 

• Like Like x 2
  3. CannonBlaster

CannonBlaster Well-Known Member

264B86AF-08D2-41A9-A501-8EAAED9BC1F4.gif

• Like Like x 4
  4. Ellamin

Ellamin Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient beings.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    I'm not sure what you're trying for there, I only see the feet or a couple Megatrons

• Like Like x 1
  5. CannonBlaster

CannonBlaster Well-Known Member

It’s meant to be the end of a fight between the two Megatrons. It didn’t turn out the best because I still haven’t figured how to hold my camera up without a proper tripod. Here I was using bulldog clips. They work better than my hands because I don’t need to use them for anything else but they’re still flawed because they don’t get a lot of height and they fall down a lot

6. Ellamin

Ellamin Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient beings.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    my suggestion, use some spare boxes to get the right height, and take more frames with smaller movement adjustments, it's a bit like a flip book.

• Like Like x 1
  7. XternalPrime

XternalPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Hey everyone. I'm new to the world of stop motion, but I'm currently working on a personal TF fan project that involves stop motion animation. I wanna ask a few questions here, since so many of you seem experienced in the craft (or at least more experienced than I am). Currently I've got characters for my fan project that involve transformations more on the straightforward side than the fiddly and complex. I'm assuming this allows more freedom in how my figures can transform, but what about figures that are less posable than others?

For the top tier example of articulation in my collection, I have Mastermind Creations Optus Pexus, a platinum example of articulation in the Transformers arena. Like, look at this image:
    [​IMG]

THAT is my platinum standard. But I am more often using figures from the official mainline to be my characters. With Optus Pexus, I'm certain I can get him into almost any pose I want. The problem is, with other figures, I'm worried that besides in transformation, I might not be as free to pose my figures. Take my Titans Return Sky Shadow for instance:

[​IMG]

Ignoring the awful promo pic of his gun, he doesn't have a waist swivel, and he has limited wrist articulation, if you wanna call folding in hands wrist articulation. Or perhaps Titans Return Triggerhappy for another example:

[​IMG]

So, what another content creator, TFI Creations, said was to work within a figure's strengths. How does that translate when keeping a figure in a pose for an extended period of time? Do I use stands? Maybe practice my shots? And what kind of camera and photo type should I use for my stop motion?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Arie

Arie One Man Army

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Posted by @thepalehunter in the G1 toys appreciation thread, but it deserves a place here too.

I've been watching Hot Rod drive for 15 minutes now. Still waiting for him to arrive at his destination. :D 

• Like Like x 5
  9. OptimusTimelord

When you say camera, you mean camera not phone, right? I can understand folks struggling to get stable shots using a phone, but an actual camera should be easy even without a tripod. Back when I began these gifs I didn't have a tripod and made do with props like books and dvds to put the camera on a level with the figures, and then only touch it when you press the shutter button. To be even better just pop a few globs of Blu Tack around it to keep it still (but honestly, you can buy tripods pretty cheap these days, it's well worth getting one).
    Ultimately the lack of articulation is why I tend to avoid using mainline figures, especially in the hands (which even MPs are not great for, though they have improved a lot). Do you absolutely have to use those particular figures? If so, and they don't do what you require, maybe see if it's possible to customise them (for example when I filmed Ectotron I folded his stock hands into the forearms and fixed some articulated hands onto the wrist stubs).

Stands will help you keep the figure in position, as long as you don't mind them being part of your scenes (unless you're prepared to do some editing afterwards to remove them!).

Almost any digital camera will do, but obviously it is less important to have a wonderful long distance capability and much more important that it can photograph close up. You also don't need huge pixel sizes either, in fact that can often be a hindrance on your file sizes! (I create smaller versions of my images to use when uploading for gifs).

That's really well done, the loop is nicely subtle! :thumb 

• Like Like x 2
  10. Smokeyoreo18

Smokeyoreo18 Has to wait 277 days till he can watch RoTB

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    A502FE49-D777-4BAC-AC45-E2CCBEFDCF55.gif

• Like Like x 2
  11. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

It was done for TFNATION which had an online streaming event last Fri and Sat. Gary Chalk and Peter Spellos (Optimus Primal and Skybite) both voice characters in it.

• Like Like x 2
  12. OptimusTimelord

Pretty cool! Man, just the thought of tackling anything beyond ten minutes long gives me the shivers lol.
    You can see the corners they've had to cut, but for that length of stop motion it's understandable, you'd be talking years of production and tons of £$£$ to do it professionally!

• Like Like x 1
  13. XternalPrime

XternalPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    This is my first foray into stop motion. Feedback is welcome.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Megs

Megs Well-Known Member

If you want a cheap and easy tripod, get a lid from a spray paint can or something similar and cut the sides to fit your phone down into it and hold it upright. I used to do toy reviews that way and it actually works great.

• Like Like x 2
  15. OptimusTimelord

Been a bit quiet lately due to computer issues... My external drive died with no warning, which means a bunch of work has been lost. Luckily most of it was the files from my latest YT video, so the vid itself is preserved at least. A few other bits and bobs are going to need remaking, which is a bummer, but among the files I thought I'd lost was this MP-44 sequence, thankfully copied before the crash:

[​IMG]

Thumbs Up! :thumb 

• Like Like x 23
  16. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Oh, man, really sorry to hear about the drive crash! The last time that happened to me I finally decided to subscribe to an online backup service. I’ve been using it for several years now and it’s come in handy quite a few times. Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

And I love the animation you posted! I can hear Prime saying “thanks” at the end. Another job well done!!

• Like Like x 3
  17. betsuni

betsuni I'm just here for the robots

That blows! Losing data thanks to a storage failure always hurts. Especially for artists like yourself.

This was the one reason we decided to build our own mirrored NAS.

• Like Like x 1
  18. OptimusTimelord

Cheers!
    The silly thing is, the external drive that failed was bought specifically to be a back-up in case anything went wrong with my main computer! Computer fine, back-up kaput :rolleyes: 
    I don't know if an online system would hamper my work flow? My files tend to be quite big due to all the frames, and it can already be slow going sometimes waiting for stuff to render and save, I'd hate to make that process even slower!
    Yeah it's frustrating, if only there'd been a warning of some kind! Never fun having to remake something from scratch. Will probably just stick with flash drives from now on.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Safeguard

Safeguard Autobot

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Using an online drive shouldn't affect your workflow. It would just be used as a backup to your PC files. If you use OneDrive, for example, the main file is stored online, but a working copy is downloaded to your PC for use

• Like Like x 2
  20. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    I work with large files myself and haven’t had much trouble with my backup service impacting workflow.

I use Backblaze and it will back up external drives in addition to your internal drive. You could still have your local backup and also have everything automatically backed up online, with the ability to go back to previous versions of a file up to a month old, I think it is (that’s saved my bacon a number of times).

The first backup will definitely slow things down but after that’s established the incremental backup process isn’t noticeable. You can also configure when it runs backups if you want to only run them overnight, for example, so it doesn’t risk impacting performance.

The peace of mind I have with it running is well worth the reasonable cost.

• Like Like x 2