Stop Motion transformation Gifs

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by OptimusTimelord, Oct 7, 2014.

1. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

I guess in terms of toon inconsistencies there are a lot worse things to worry about! I like the idea that they chose not to fly deliberately, but it's hard to convey that onscreen. Since there are actual scripted instances of them using jetpacks (Prime borrowing Sideswipe's in MTMTE 3, Dinobot Island etc) I'm leaning toward them being unable to fly at all (though Wheeljack does it later in the series I think, and had something in his tech specs about the ability).

So I think I might just sneak jetpacks onto their backs while they're in the air that mysteriously vanish once they land, Op's trailer style...
    Thank you! :D 
    Nice work! :thumb 

• Like Like x 4
  2. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Actually Sideswipe and Wheeljack's bios depict them as being able to fly but not very long.

By just having Decepticons able to fly it does make them more of a threat. Though I think it should be limited to Transformers with actual aircraft modes.

As I type this I'm thinking of the fight between Bumblebee and Blitzwing in the Bumblebee movie. I loved the choreography especially how Blitzwing used his flight capabilities during it like how he went from lying on his back to hovering upright in the air thanks to the boosters on his back.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SideswipeFriend2005

SideswipeFriend2005 Mirror Universe Counterpart

Having trouble getting Cog's transformation animated. Tips?

4. OptimusTimelord

Yeah I remember Sideswipe because the jet pack he lends Prime comes from his bio referring to his rocket backpack or somesuch, which in turn came from the G1 toys of Swipe and Sunstreaker getting their names swapped early on (G1 Sunny having those huge exhausts on his back).
    What sort of trouble?

• Like Like x 2
  5. SideswipeFriend2005

Like, how am I supposed to animate his two halves coming together, and him standing up. Every time I try to do it, it feels unnatural and clunky, and I don't have any ideas for making it seem like a logical transformation. Another problem I have with cog is that whenever I animate him going from Robot to Alt mode, it just looks like him lying down and separating. I just need some help making cog's transformation less stiff and more visually interesting.

6. OptimusTimelord

I don't have Cog myself, but any figure that splits into parts during transformation is going to need some ingenuity to make those parts appear to move through the air. I can get away with a lot because my techniques involve Photoshop manipulation after the fact - if you're trying to do it all in camera the only thing I can suggest that might not be intrusive is to use fine wire (fishing line or even human hair) suspended out of shot and tied to the figure, so that it will stay in impossible positions for a few frames.

Or perhaps split your scene into several close-up shots of parts separating/moving etc.

• Like Like x 2
  7. SideswipeFriend2005

Okay, just to elaborate on cog's transformation, his arms get taken off and placed into two separate ports, but they are so far from their original positions it never looks natural. However, I figured out a way to cheat the leg transformation.

8. OptimusTimelord

Yeah yeah I know, you were expecting MP-44. Rest assured he's in the pipeline.

Meanwhile, these guys are on the pipeline...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 33
  9. betsuni

betsuni Well-Known Member

Woo! Skywarp getting the majority of screentime. The one thing I really love is how you give motion to in-between frames just to keep the whole thing moving. It is the little details that make the scene flow that are subtle.

• Like Like x 3
  10. OptimusTimelord

Thanks! There was a lot more work than it might appear to get that clunky seeker mold to move so smoothly. Particularly getting subtle increments out of the shoulders and hips, when the ratchets are so far apart. Much Photoshop cheating required!

• Like Like x 6
  11. KayODave

KayODave Still a grey prototype

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I know you must be super busy, but if you ever find the time to show off a stop motion tutorial specifically about transformers, you’d win the internet.

You’re a wizard!

• Like Like x 3
  12. Prime Noble

It's not cheating when you do it. Merely your divinity working in it's mysterious ways.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    I see what you did there :thumb 

• Like Like x 1
  14. OptimusTimelord

I get asked for a Making Of from time to time on YouTube. And I have dangled that carrot on Patreon as one of the goals, but judging by how few people support me nobody's really that bothered...
    :tumbleweed: 
    As the sacred scrolls say: "And lo Masterpiece ReAnimated may cheat in his divine endeavors, yet to his followers it be not cheating as they know not which parts are cheated and which are not" :lol 
    I can never resist a gag
    :lolol 

• Like Like x 3
  15. Ellamin

Ellamin Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient beings.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    quick people, support the prime timelord ON PATREON and he'll show us how to work such magic for ourselves! :p  (just a gentle encouragement)

• Like Like x 4
  16. Prime Noble

Nice comeback

• Like Like x 1
  17. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  18. Blazing Mewtwo

Blazing Mewtwo Starscream Lover

Excellent work
    Do you have the UW Constructicons or maybe the Maketoys Meteor to use as Screamer?

• Like Like x 1
  19. OptimusTimelord

Thanks :D  I'm going to need to ramp things up on Patreon sooner or later... the next vid will likely be exclusive to supporters. This is more to ensure I can carry on doing the animations at all than anything else, as things get more complicated IRL...
    Not interested in Mt seekers, and to be honest I'm dreading a new TT seeker mold as it would mean remaking tons of material from my episode one project.

As for Constructicons, at least they're unlikely to get official MPs. If I need them I'd use Unite Warriors, unless someone like FT releases an umber-accurate version.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Blazing Mewtwo

Blazing Mewtwo Starscream Lover

Ok
    Looking forward to future stuff

• Like Like x 1