Stop Blaming Bay

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by GuardianPrime19, Dec 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

Seekers.
    The line was changing before the movies happened.
    Whether some funds got appropriated to Japanese toys or not, Masterpiece was happening.

Masterpiece is not around because of Michael Bay. Lmao kid

2. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

For good or for bad when the budget of a movie starts climbing into the 100's of millions then those movies become the 800 pound gorilla in the room that no one can ignore. So maybe some people here didn't know about Arrival because Paramount only invested $47 million into the budget. Not the sort of movie they had to aim at everyone to stand a chance at making a profit. Honestly wouldn't be shocked if people here had not heard of Lights Out but with Warner Brothers/Lions Gate only putting $4.9 million into the production they could aim the film only at low budget horror fans and it's okay if other people didn't hear about the movie.

But after Fox sunk $160 million into the production of Independence Day Resurgence they needed it to be a movie everyone would know about. Warner Brothers pumping $250 million into Batman v Superman meant there wasn't anywhere you would be able to hide from the advertising bombardment. The bigger budgets get the more films take over the whole franchise, at least around release dates. Sure Warner Brothers has animated movies in the works, they have live action televisions shows, and cartoon series. But for a while it was all about Batman v Superman for good or for bad.

Want to ignore the Combiner Wars internet only cartoon series, that's not hard to do, outside of really dedicated Transformers fans most people didn't likely know about it in the first place. The current Robots in Disguise cartoon series, a bit harder to ignore but with a bit of work you can mostly ignore it. But just no way that people will be able to completely ignore Transformers 5. To make money Paramount will have to shove it in as many faces as often as they can.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Shark

Shark Carcharodon carcharias

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    *stares at this entire thread*
    The next trailer can't come soon enough...

• Like Like x 3
  4. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    It literally fucking is. It's in the guide. And The new scale was started with mp 10.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Macrodata Refinement - SVR'D Access

News Credits:
    Exhibit A. Or are we on double letters now? I lost track.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  6. The Kup

The Kup Heavy Metal

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    The only thing I blame Bay for is for making me get even more interested into Transformers and that's a good thing. :thumb 

• Like Like x 6
  7. Mr JackatooTM

Mr JackatooTM I'm a Colossal boi

News Credits:
    This thread went downhill really fast.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

movies are a director's media. they are the ones that make all the decisions.

so, if a movie is terrible, yes, yes one can blame the director.

• Like Like x 1
  9. zark225

zark225 Talon Productions on YouTube

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    The new MP scale did indeed start with MP-10. I believe they said they realized that Optimus and Megatron were too big and changed it after they had already done the Seekers and Grimlock. Plus, it is well known they revenue from the movies has had a massive effect on MP and the regular Classics/Generations figures. This is stuff that is well known and has been known for years no and has been stated by Hasbro and other official sources. Can anyone seriously deny that?

Now, since this thread is on this topic, Directors can be blamed for the overall project that they work on, so criticism towards Bay is fair. I, personally, don't think the man deserves a lot of the hates he gets, but its not unwarranted to blame him due to him being the director.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Ummm...not trying to nitpick here (and maybe I'm going to come off sounding like it), but MP-01 was released in 2003, whereas the first Michael Bay TF movie was released in 2007. So how is it that a toyline released 4 years before Michael Bay came into the picture, around because of him?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    Starscream was originally released in the old scale. That version looked great in alt mode but had issues in robot mode with kibble etc. And it was too small compared to MP01 and megs. After MP10 it was redesigned keeping the same basic size but improving robot mode. It was a better size fit with the smaller OP.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Despite what the guidebook stated, I can only assume that the MP line wouldn't have "taken off" like it did without the allocation. Would it have been around still to this day without the allocation? I would think so. You have a marvel of toy engineering with MP-01. Why wouldn't fans want more after that? They more or less did when they released the variations of the Optimus mold. Even without the funds coming in from the Michael Bay films, I'd have no doubt the MP line would still exist. Except, it probably wouldn't have gotten so many releases in such a shorter period of time as opposed to how many they were releasing back then prior to the MP-10 release.

Transformers: Masterpiece - Wikipedia

And I do remember it was about 1 a year. Now we're getting multiple a year? I can't say it's not awesome, but to say it wouldn't be around without the Michael Bay movies I think is purely speculative in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  13. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

Old scale? They are the same scale actually WalmartComparison1.jpg
    What I am demonstrating here, is that prior to the bay movies, Masterpiece already had their new game plan in play. The new scale did not begin with MP10.
    I don't care what the book says, Masterpice was up and running before bayformers and it would have continued whether they got some funding from Bay proceeds or not. It's a profitable business.
    If this REALLY was because of Bay shit movies, one would think MP would be all bayformers.
    But they knew it was shit and made something that didn't require a general audience of yuppies who needed somewhere to ditch their snot nosed kids for the afternoon

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  14. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    That's what I'm saying. It was originally released to accompany MP01. It was a little small but I guess they figured making it bigger would be too expensive and impractical. It's kind of a coincidence that it fits the new scale better.

• Like Like x 1
  15. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

I wouldn't chalk it up to coincidence. But it's one scenario

16. Mr JackatooTM

News Credits:
    I knew this thread wouldn't be disappointing

17. MrSoundmeister

MrSoundmeister Bang,Bang Boom!

They are still at it, huh?

18. Mr JackatooTM

News Credits:
    Yep, I'm just watching this whole thread go downhill. Only a matter of time before a moderator closes it :( 

19. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

You had to know this is how it would go. It's a bait topic.
    Let's see what happens when a spider and a scorpion are in a small space together.
    Why close the topic?

20. Mr JackatooTM

News Credits:
    Like you said, it's a bait topic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.