Still No 3rd Party Bayformers...

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Bob 121, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Bob 121

Bob 121 Well-Known Member

Why hasn't this happened yet? I remember hearing that we were going to get a 3rd party Leader Blackout and prepared myself for it to be my first 3rd party fig. Instead, all we've ever gotten is upgrade kits. Granted those are very nice, but there are still a ton of Bayformers that either got terrible toys or none at all. And now, we're even getting Animated 3rd party figures. If anyone is going to do them right, it would be a 3rd party, since Hasbro is skimping out hard on the new movie figs. They're worse than ever.

Who's going to take my money?

2. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

I'll take your money... ;) 

It probably hasn't happened because not many movie toys NEED a 3rd Party version. Yeah, leader class Blackout and Bonecrusher... Certainly they'd be two of the most popular choices, but how much is a 3rd Party going to charge for a super detailed, leader sized figure? About $200 like the going rate of MP figures? How well would $200 movie figures go over? Maybe they'd sell, but maybe there's not a 3rd Party that wants to take a chance...

3. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Mostly because I think HasTak has much of the on-screen cast already covered aside from a few (but notable) characters missing at certain size points, such as Leader class Blackout, Shockwave, and DOTM Megatron.

Creating such large figures at Leader class (or larger in the case of a Supreme class Blackout plus a bigger, more accurate Jetfire, to be truly in scale... say, roughly the size of Daca Toys Kronos?) is a very risky venture for 3Ps to take on since the chance of QC issues is high, the design/engineering process difficult, and no guarantees of purchases by retailers much less the fandom. I can't see 3Ps taking on the engineering requirements inherent in the Human Alliance sub line, for example, with realistic alt modes, working interiors (more or less; HAs aren't nearly as detailed as Alternators/Binaltech), and gimmicks designed around the little human figures.

There's also Bayverse toy burnout (where consumers and retailers are tired and wary of more new movie-based toys), which appears to be the case of most of the brick-and-mortar retailers. And I speak as a fan of the movie toys myself (I went crazy for the toys in ROTF/HFTD and DOTM but AOE hasn't really caught my interest outside of Evasion Mode Optimus). I think upgrades and add-ons are the only realistic 3P options for Bayverse figures at this point.

4. werdwitha3

werdwitha3 Well-Known Member

The TF fanbase is very divided on Bayformers and I'm willing to bet most 3rd party companies aren't looking to take that big of a gamble.

5. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Only a minority of us collectors even collect Bayformers according to the poll I did on this board.

Plus I'm guessing most third party companies are run by guys making the figures they want, most of them will be (by necessity) among the more informed and older members of the fandom. They will make either:

1. What they see as the perfect version of their favorite character.
    2. Pull some obscure/foreign/forgotten character only other fanboys would even recognize.

Bayformers are targeted to the young casual fan, and 90% of their characters have cheap, available toys.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  6. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    No third party bayformers? Good.
    Although there was a transforming trailer /ring weapon thing made for Optimus from one of the movies.

7. TheGame2K5

TheGame2K5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cool Im now just a casual fan cause I dont think Bayformers SUX LOLZ. So you did a poll on one site that what a few hundred people did and concluded that if you collect bayformers you must be a young casual fan. News flash not all of us that grew up with G1 worship it like it is the holy grail of Transformers. I appreciate it for the nostalgia but do not own a single G1 toy any longer. Alternators got me back into the hobby along with the movie toys as the engineering was so much better than what I had as a kid.

8. robvega214

robvega214 Mp5_Brut

aint no 1 want them trash toys brehs

9. Scaleface

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Okay, 491 people polled, and about half of them collect Bay, now that I went back and rechecked the poll's latest update.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/962611-following-you-not-collect-12.html

But I stand by my opinion that most Bayformer collectors are the younger and casual fans. Not EVERY ONE, but most.

TFPrime is more popular among collectors than Bayformers, and there have been no third party TFPrime toys! So once it would be more likely for us to see a good third party Airachnid or Hardshell than a Bayformer.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  10. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't even.

Anyways, I'd really like to see what someone could do with them. I almost want to say some of them would be too complicated to turn a profit, even if there were more of a market for them.

11. Bob 121

Bob 121 Well-Known Member

I still think they would sell well. We have 3P IDW figure, FOC figures... I just can't believe that out of how many random 3P companies there are, not ONE has tried to make a figure in 7 years.

12. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I seriously doubt there is demand for them.

13. 2003 Megatron

2003 Megatron Banned

News Credits:
    Bayformers are tasteless and look very ridiculous! No appeal at all. Bayformers are garbage.

14. RustyBarnacles

RustyBarnacles Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've seen quite a few of these threads...and they always turn out the same way...

Badly :popcorn 

15. Scaleface

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Putting the lines in order by popularity in my poll, we would be more likely to see third party TFPrime toys than Bayformers.

No, they turn out fine, because we have kept Bayformers from invading 3P.

16. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    Nobody wants to pay 3rd party prices for ugly robots who are non-characters.

17. TheGame2K5

TheGame2K5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yet we have seen more movie upgrade sets than we have anything animated...

18. Gauntlet101010

Gauntlet101010 Well-Known Member

The movies have a ton of toys already using modern technology.

Plus, sometimes cheaper is better in people's books. And retail is definitely that. Sure, some might want a better (say) Barracade, but do they want that to the tune of $100 when two different moulds have already been made? I dunno.

19. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax You know what happens to Messiahs, don't you?

News Credits:
    Don't understand the hate for the Bayformers. With the exception of a few from DOTM, a lot of the "Bayformers" had amazing figures.

Even anti-Bayformer fans have stated the toys are actually top notch. Hate the movies all you want, but toys are powered on imagination.

Human Alliance was especially ace.

As for 3rd party Bayformers toys, I'd love to get an oversized Blackout (even if it's a KO) an oversized Jetfire and a Human Alliance/bigger than a Voyager/smaller than a Leader Ratchet that could allow a Human to ride inside.

Especially the last one. I don't see 3Ps making oversized (50cm) figures that aren't a KO.

20. RustyBarnacles

RustyBarnacles Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In that respect...it's how these typically get to that end, that is messy (albeit entertaining).