Discussion in 'Transformers Trading Card Game (TCG) Discussion' started by That Guy, Jun 16, 2019.
The Transformers Trading Card Game
Transformers TCG on Twitter
How did you fare?
Also, I hate how every immediate comment is "What's the decklist?" Congratulate the guy
I got top 32, so did not qualify for Unplugged (yet) but came away with a cool $125 plus like, a box and a half of boosters? I'll have a recap video up tomorrow for my personal experience. I think Vector Sigma did some great recaps already for general stuff (And invited me on their channel!)
Dude that's awesome, one day I hope to get that good.
Dude, that's the thing, I'm not that good! 80% is showing up to play, and the other 20% is some simple prep. Come to Gencon!
I would love to! big problem is getting out there, and like making the time. Hmmmm
For those looking for Top 8 deck lists from Origins: Origins Open: Top 8 Decklists | Facebook
Super excited to see that basically two decks (OPBL/Flamewar/HR and Insecticons) swept the Top 8. I know we've only got two sets to build from so far, but Jesus Christ does stuff like that turn me off of competitive play.
And, look, I get that character choice is not the be-all-end-all. Battle Deck construction and strategic play are huge difference makers. But, man, my heart just sunk a little bit when I saw person after person running the same characters.
I had a discussion at a game night today and felt the same way. I like playing crazy things and building for fun. Seeing competitions where everyone just copies and slightly modified existing stuff makes me really not want to compete outside draft
I will say that the lists don't tell the whole story. There were essentially 3 very different ways OPBL three wide was being played at the tournament. OPBL's strength is his versatility due to his ability, so he's not going away any time soon, but you'll see some decklists going for direct damage actions, some going heavier into static attack buffs, and some splashing in attempts at hand disruption to complement the blue and tough in the deck.
It comes down to not all characters being equal in TCG's and knowing the field you play in. If you're going to see a lot of bugs and Aerialbots, three wide primes is one of the better answers to those particular decks. I'd love to see more tanks and jets and other cons and crazy stuff, but the game needs a little more diversity in design first, as right now tanks are just less efficient at what they do than Aerialbots and 3 wide primes, and planes can't compete with the other blue strategies either. I'm hoping the micromasters will help spice things up.
In talking with a lot of the top 32/16ers the deck OPBL deck was picked by many of them as a reaction to the number of we’ll performing Aerialbots decks on Saturday. Everyone kept throwing rock so people switched to paper.
At this level of competitive play it’s more about knowing the answer to the common problem and implementing than just picking what you like and going with it regardless. My Blitzwing/Thrust/Arcee deck came within one game in the last match of getting me into the top 32 and I think that it would have had the potential to put the hurt on that setup with some luck.
I'm actually building one of those now. Its turning out to be more difficult than I imagined
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. This may effect your store play a little bit, but I feel like people in this game like messing around with the character cards, that we will continue to see plenty of not "meta" decks.
I went into the Top 4 with a rogue build (Fireflight, Arcee, Prowl, Wheeljack)!
That is true, and we had a top 16 that was Dreadwing, and a top 32 of Blue Bugs and Sentinels (and maybe a motormaster?) so it's not that everyone was playing the exact same deck!
Separate names with a comma.