Starscream's treachery

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by electronic456, Dec 27, 2012.

1. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Do you think that Starscream showed that much treachery against Megatron throughout the whole movie series?

Unfortunally, I feel there was little to show that he is willing to overthrow Megatron.
    The only hints I feel we were given about Starscream's treachery were:
    -If he shot Megatron on the back in the 1st movie.
    -Leaving Earth in the end.
    -Trying to find an excuse when Megatron returns.
    -His failure to capture Sam, resulting with him being stepped on by Megatron.
    -In DOTM, he sarcastically says things how it pains him to see him so wounded and weak in Africa.

Do you think that's enough treachery or should there be more Starscream and Megatron bickering?

2. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What treachery? Anyone who thinks one of those jets attacking Megatron in the first movie was Starscream is fanwanking themselves to death.

3. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No i'm not fanwanking, it might have been possible.

OK, let me define the topic more.......... "Was there much going on between Megatron and Starscream's relation?"

4. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Well according to the Comic Books prequels to ROTF, Starscream did not shot megatron, he was planning to, but before he could, Sam killed him

5. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was implied he was a jet that participated on the missile run on Megatron in the first movie - however this is pure 'fanwank' and nothing ever came of this. According to prequels for ROTF it is stated he had a desire to betray Megatron - however this desire did not come about and was during the time when Sam was killing Megatron and not the missile run - it is also non-canon in terms of films.

He left Earth after the deaths of every Decepticon to avoid his own death - this was not treachery in any form.

He was trying to find an excuse when Megatron returns out of cowardish - this was not treachery in any form.

His failure to capture Sam was not a result of treachery but a result of Starscream underestimating Sam as an opponent - this is not treachery.

He is only stating this as a 'jibe' at Megatron, not treachery, merely a small retort at a brutish master - this is not treachery.

---

Starscream disliked Megatron... Megatron disliked Starscream... nothing else happened

Starscream never did anything treachourous in the movies. There are only small hints of him disliking Megatron. If Megatron and Starscream return for TF4 and future films it will likely continue to expand his dislike for Megatron - until such time where he hopefully does something treacherous (however at this time it is still only the dreams of fans)

6. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    Sadly Starscream showed very little of his treacherous side. He may have hinted at it a couple times but never really did anything truly Starscreamish. The movie version of Starscream unfortunately is one of the lowest versions of Starscream character wise.

7. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

There is a slightly treacherous part in the first movie where it seems like Starscream could have done more to help Megatron but it's not a full on stab in the back sort of thing.

Being a treacherous back stabbing bastard is hinted at in the film series but for whatever reason the films just never went with that aspect for the character.

8. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Starscream just didn't feel totally treacherous this time around. I don't blame him, to be honest, considering the psychos he puts up with :lol 

9. roccondil5

roccondil5 sculptor

I never got the feeling that starscream was treacherous... In the first film, I kinda got the feeling that he was the loyal second hand to megatron, that never get's appreciated for what he does, in the second I felt he just took advantage of megatron being "dead" to take the lead, but not in a treacherous way, and that he begin to show signs of being a coward, and on the 3rd he became full on coward (also evidenced by the way he tried to bully sam who was much smaller then him). His hit and run attack tactics also make me think of him as a coward. But I didn't get the feeling he was actively trying to undermine megatron...

Btw, the writers have said that they never gave any thoughts about starscream being the jet that strikes megatron when they wrote the scene, but if fans want to interpret it that way, it's fine with them. I guess they decided to leave it up to individual taste... Looking at the first movie alone, I like to think that he did shoot megatron, but looking at the 3 movies as a whole, I don't think he did...

10. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Megatron accusing Starscream of abandoning him after TF1 and Scream apparently taking joy in Megatron's damage in DOTM, makes me think they wanted him to be treacherous. However that isn't really enough in film evidence to say the character was treacherous outside of the writer's intentions. So in my mind, he wasn't.

Perhaps they wanted to do more with it but there wasn't enough time in the films due to the war being merely a sup plot in a trilogy about some random boys life. Apparently Ehran Kruger did originally write a big Megatron VS Starscream story in an early version of the second film.

On the other hand, Starscream recommending Megatron retreats at the end of ROTF and the lack of sarcasm when announcing his loyalties in TF1 seems to indicate the writers did not intend the Starscream, in the final version of the films, to be a traitor. Maybe it was like Scorpio said in his post and Starscream merely doesn't like Megatron but won't betray him.

11. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    Not once in the three films have I seen Starscream say or do anything that would be considered treacherous. Cowardice? Yes. Treachery? No.

12. Zhadow

Zhadow Oh hi there

I thought Starscream would actually betray Megatron in TF2 after his flown off scene within the credits. Nonetheless SS was just bothersome to Megatron.

13. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Comic books aside, this Starscream pretty much seemed like G1 Soundwave to me. It looked like he was a very loyal right-hand man who occasionally made sarcastic comments.

If anything, DOTM Megatron was more Starscream-y than Starscream! Think of the Sentinel Prime/Megatron relationship in DOTM...

14. Ravage101

Ravage101 Well-Known Member

The lack of Starscream's treachery against Megatron was a total lost opportunity. Having Starscream fight and plot actively against Megs as a sub plot would have really deepen the story. I would have loved seeing a scene where Starscream strikes a deal with Optimus; "The enemy of my enemy is my friend". Or a much deeper plan would have added so much. But like I said; lost opportunity.

15. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Only if Starscream shot Megatron down in TF1 and had another good scene betraying him in ROTF then I would say Starscream treachery was good.

16. thespaniard

thespaniard Well-Known Member

I don't see why starscream has to be treacherous every time. Why do people want to see the same thing again and again. It's good to have a little variety

17. NeverDoubt

NeverDoubt Well-Known Member

Because it might as well be a completely different character with a different name then.

Plus without all the back stabbing Starscream didn't have much to do, heh.

18. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Because I hate seeing him be a cowardly wuss if he isn't up to treachery. He comes off as a useless idiot.

19. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

If they had done something great with Starscream like in the comic books I don't think people would mind that Starscream didn't get to be the back stabber. Even if it wasn't like in the comic book if they just could have done something to make Starscream a stand out character then people might like a breaking of the mold.

But if you aren't going to do something outstanding with the character then not having him treacherous just makes it look like the writers didn't understand a darn thing about Starscream.