Stargate reboot by MGM and Roland Emmerich

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Zathras, May 29, 2014.

1. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

MGM, Warner Bros Reboot

I wish they would just go back to Stargate Universe,

Take the story to 3 years later and if some of the cast cant be back, they were killed while in stasis.

2. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    Roland Emmerich? Oh god, why?? :( 

If they are going to reboot the franchise, they should bring in a new creative team. Emmerich is a terrible director. I have no hope for this.

3. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    Loved SG1 and Atlantis, to me, Universe was a snoozer. I watched it but didn't enjoy the experience like I did with SG1/SGA. Really hope they don't reboot that one.

(article didn't load for me, ?)

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  4. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

*sigh*

5. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Boo-urns :( 

6. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Because he did the original, granted the TV Series was better, but there is probably something in his contract that says if it's a film series he has to do it for so many movies.

7. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

I was a huge fan of SG1, Atlantis and Universe. While I do wish they could pick up with Universe again, I'm happy to hear Stargate is continuing in some form at least. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with this.

8. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Well he did the original movie, which wasn't bad by any measure but the TV series ended up being superior. Huh, I wonder if we can bring Richard Dean Anderson back to play General O'Neill (with two 'Ls').

9. JohnnyWuFei

JohnnyWuFei ...where do we go now?

I am not amused.

10. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I loved SG-1 and Atlantis, and I would definitely like to see the franchise continue. However, Roland Emmerich seems like the wrong guy for this in my opinion even though he helped start the franchise.

11. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

This is one of those cases that a movie reboot would do the franchise a world of good; can't wait.

12. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Loved the series for the most part but I'll reserve judgement until I can see something.

13. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

so we should expect a lot of white houses blowing up?

he sure does love blowing that building up.

14. Murasame

Murasame We like to talk big, vampires do

News Credits:
    I love Stargate, even bought the Blu-Ray recently. But I wish Stargate Atlantis would continue...

15. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Read the title and I was hoping it was about a Stargate TV series.

But I'm guessing the TV series is the reason they felt like they had to reboot the movie because when people think Stargate they usually think either SG1 or Atlantis. Although I've found it rather odd that with places like Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon being hot to have their own TV series that none of the streaming companies have gone for a Stargate TV series. How expensive can it be to film a small cast of characters in the woods of Canada that you are using as an alien planet?

16. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

More than you might think. All those Stargate shows had substantial budgets by the time Universe got canned. It's why they killed Atlantis to do Universe. And the outdoor woodsey stuff was a provincial park. And you gots to pay to use that space.

17. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    SG1 was far superior to the movie anyway.

18. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    SG1 was mostly good Atlantis was good in the balance - I tried to watch Universe but I was not impressed with a show where 'everyone is a villian' SG1 get to say screw you to the military hierarchy as they have/had the Jaffa & Asguard and others backing them up. But some random colonel does not really have the morla right to make himself a personal dictator and be a complete ass to all the civilians foreign and domestic scientists and the bosses at home - that just made no sense - the cast was patchy as hell too.

I just didn't like Universe if one word sums up SG1 it's "Fun" if one word sums up Atlantis it 's "conflict" and the one word for Universe is "angst".. it was like X-Men (in a bad way) a really hard watch.

Now if they do a reboot one good thing is that perhaps now the Jaffa can actually have cool helms all the time.

19. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Yea Atlantis was really upping the budget. A pretty large set for the alien gate control room and building it could not have been cheap. Universe even more so since so much of the episodes happened outside of the ship with space battles.

20. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Atlantis' gate room was clearly inspired by the main part of the commercial area in Deep Space Nine I'd say.

I do get the feeling there was more Story to tell in The Stargate Universe (no pun intended) but that Universe was simply just going around it the wrong way - besides it's not like SG1 had not repeatedly burned all it's bridges every other season or so anyway.

Stargate Universe was to much like the old Irish joke about giving some directions "You didn't want to start from here".

I think the main problem with that show was it just seemed wrong to have people stuck on the space ship combined with flashbacks and people remote visiting Earth all the time - and yet the consequences for them of that seemed sometimes quite slight. In general I just found it very hard to like anyone in the show - sure the SG team could be dickish sometimes - but they didn't make a habit of it.