Stargate and Battlestar Galactica, worth getting into?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Omegashark18, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Yes. In fact some very important character beats in the first few seasons - hell, the first few episodes - will not land or make sense without the movie’s input. And it’s honestly a great movie.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

A big fat "hell yes" to Stargate-SG1 (even if it had Crichton and Aeryn Sun from Farscape in the later seasons)

Classic Battlestar Galactica - great, 2006 version of BSG - so-and-so (loved the Cylon and fighter designs though)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hulu has Stargate on it if you are looking how to watch it. They have a $1.99/month for 1 year deal going on right now.

4. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

But SG-1's producers changed the lore around those events significantly.

Also if you shotgun SG-1 your going to notice some early installment weirdness of dropped or changed ideas about the System Lords, other aliens, and other pantheons.

5. Macross7

News Credits:
    As I said, there were some differences but nothing so major you can't just accept that there are changes when you take a possibly 1-off Hollywood movie into an ongoing series.
    They still had the alien took over a human body idea. Just wasn't a snake creature. They used the grey alien design in the film which SG-1 eventually used for the Asgard.
    Ideas as the System Lords and Go'uld names were created for the series. I don't think the aliens were even named in the film.
    The series does account for the idea in the film that there are just 2 gates. They found there were more.
    The one thing the movie does weird is say Abados is in another galaxy and not just the closest planet with a gate.

6. Insurgent

Insurgent The Amazing Tango Mysterio

Battlestar Galactica is a fantastic show. Sci fi without being too hard on the sci fi, it's more about the survival of people and how it's affecting them, with brilliant characters and stories. I would say it maintains a true high through series 1, 2 and first half of 3, dips a bit in series 3 but regains again towards the end and just steamrolls towards a brilliant finale that you will either love or hate, depending on how you view things. One of my all time favourite shows. But make sure you watch the 3 hour 'miniseries' first, don't start with series 1 episode 1 as I did, as that's not actually the start of the show.

Stargate is also one of my favourite franchises. The original movie is a good, solid, B movie action film that still holds up today. The series is a military action/exploration show, that starts off mostly series but as the show goes on, it livens itself up a little and knows to have fu nwith itself and it's premise, without ever going too far to the point it breaks immersion. What I love about it, other than the character chemistry with the main cast, is that they are going around trying to find new allies and tech to help Earth, and unlike alot of other shows, when they find these techs and allies, they don't forget about them. Stuff from series 3 may come back into play in series 7. If they do something that causes a problem and they spend the episode having to fix it, they remember that fix and later down the line, when someone tries that trick on them, they remember and instantly fix it, or use what they learnt when they messed up to attack their enemies with it. It makes it feel like a fully fleshed out nivers and isn't just a bunch of random episodes. Some of the effects in the arly seri can be a litttle ropey, but it was 1998, and they do get better as the series goes on. I didn't watch Universe, but I whoelheartidly recommend SG1 and Atlantis (you'll know when to start watching Atlantis as you make your way through SG1).

• Like Like x 2
  7. Insurgent

Start with the movie. Some of the smaller details get changed in the series (like Abydos is moved from another galaxy to the planet closest to Earth), but a version of the movie's events happen prior to the series and are heavilly referenced, especially in the first season. The events of the movie are also responsible for setting up the political layout of the wider galaxy in the series. I second that the end of series 8 is the perfect ending to SG1, but if you are going through to Ark of Truth, then you should watch the following movie Continuum as well. It ties off the final loose plot point, and is overal a great little tv movie.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    For how much longer?

9. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    Alright I signed up Hulu for at least a full year using that deal. I’ll have it for at least that duration.

Time to get started!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Macross7

News Credits:
    For those interested in Hulu, per the website, the low price offer: Ends 11:59 PM PST on 12/2/19.

11. lars573

More than that.
    The guard characters in the movie that were changed into Jaffa for the series were Anubis and Horus (like the actual "gods"). Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin, who wrote the movie, worked from a position that Ra was the ONLY alien. Last of his species who was hijacking bodies to survive. Every other Egyptian god was a favoured human servant who was in on the whole God-Emperor gag to a certain degree. And had access to all Ra's technology, so they were thousands of years old. I don't remember if it was said in the film or was word of god, that Ra's tech just worked really well with/on humans. And that the movies grey alien prop looked like a lizard while the concept art which looks more like what became the Asgard. The show retconned that into the Unas. And yes Ra's species, was not named nor was the desert planet. The shows producers made a dozens of little changes that stacked up into major deviations from the movies lore. Problem is most of the movies lore was Roland Emmerich's story notes and the script. So mostly not produced save for some novels.

One of Emmerech's ideas for a sequel was that Hathor (Ra's lover/2IC not clear) would show up years later to attack Earth. For the series they retconned the different helmets as being different guard types Horus guards instead of Horus. Another is that there were other aliens who were behind ancient pantheons too.

12. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

Ra mentions in the film the reason he chose the human race was because he found their bodies easy to repair, after reviving Daniel from death.

13. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    Well, I finished the movie this morning. It was solid. Simplistic, but pretty to look at in places. Kind of bare bones in other places and it ends kind of suddenly. Russell and Spader carry the movie pretty well, too bad they obviously couldn’t be back for the TV show.

Now, it’s on to the show. Watched the opening minutes, looks good enough for what it is. Unfortunately the streaming quality isn’t the best, it’s not even HD. Not to mention I have to put up with ads.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    I’m several episodes in and I’m enjoying it a lot thus far.

The episodes might be filler, but it’s entertaining nonetheless.

To see all the different places SG1 goes and the various reactions they receive. And color me surprised to see at least two actors from the movie were able to appear.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    In regards to Stargate, Atlantis ended up as my favorite incarnation of the series.

Like most series, it doesn't hit it's stride until a little later, but I think it works quite well.

16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    The Battlestar Galactica reboot isn't just a good sf show, it's legit great television.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Insurgent

I wouldn't say filler. That gets thrown around too much as a negative imo. They're stand alone. Self contained stories. They gradually become less as the years go on, but at this stage, they're making the series, the world building and character developing. And each is enjoyable in their own right.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    But it only has about four episode that take place in forest behind Vancouver. SG1 has at least 50. Who is the real winner?

• Like Like x 1
  19. lars573

SG-1 was made back when recurring story arc in a season was new. An incremental step from the TNG playbook they used early on.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits: